Drifter problems?

Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited May 2013 in Technical Support
In the last day or so I've been running into a bit of trouble with my drifter waypoints. Basically I can assign the waypoint one time, but if I try to move the location it doesn't work. So all of my drifters end up going to the same spot unless I manually reassign them. Is this a known issue with this current build or am I doing something wrong?

Comments

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    The only issue related that I have is where drifters don't always get to the target location from waypoint, but somewhere close by, then when I click on them and tell them to go to the exact same spot they do it...
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    "Where the hell are my drifters?!"

"Comm pls put drifter in dome..."

"Dude I did like 5min ago!"

"Omg noob ocmm we haev no drifters"

"FFUFUFU"

*all the drifters bunched in one corner*

Yes, drifter/mac pathing is bad and has always been. Short distances, fine - long distances, 65% reach destination rate. Try to send a drifter from Pipeline to Skylights RT. Haha! HAHAHAHA! AAAHHA:D
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah blarney, that's a bug I get nearly every time I hop in the chair. I've also consistently been unable to drop one RT every time I've commanded, it's always changing too.

The way to work around the drifter bug is to click the drifter and tell it to stop moving, then you have control over it again. you'll need to do that every time you want to change the waypoint though.. so if a marine sees your drifter you're not going to be able to micro it away. It's almost like it remembers every click you made and it has to connect the dots in order.

But telling the drifter to stop has always worked for me.

It's a really, really, really shitty bug though. And it's been around forever now with no word of a fix.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Moved to tech support.
    Latest editor in the last patch came with some cool navigation mesh improvements that give mappers finer control.

So it's now basically up to each mapper, in regards to how well said Ai units navigate.

What you describe sounds like you set Rally point for your drifters by selecting the hive and then right clicking anywhere in the world. They will spawn and immediately go to said location. If you change said rally point (which is not a way point, which can only be used on existing entities) future drifters will go there, but not the ones you've already spawned - they require a way point. (click them individually or in a group)

If something isn't working in this way, be sure to reproduce the issue in a vanilla (no mods) server and then report back here.
    Thanks!
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    IronHorse wrote: »
    What you describe sounds like you set Rally point for your drifters by selecting the hive and then right clicking anywhere in the world. They will spawn and immediately go to said location. If you change said rally point (which is not a way point, which can only be used on existing entities) future drifters will go there, but not the ones you've already spawned - they require a way point. (click them individually or in a group)

No, that's not it.

What happens is you can only set the rally point from the hive one time, and then can never change it. All drifters will automatically go to the first rally point assigned. After they stop moving, you're able to move them again, but every move order you give them acts like a waypoint. So you can't do something like move the drifter around a prop to prevent marines from shooting at it, because instead of following only the latest move order, it will follow all move orders consecutively. So if you tell a drifter to go from cargo to west junction, but while it's moving to west junction you realize that it's going to have to go through a group of marines, you can't tell it to go somewhere else. It will go to west junction first, and THEN it will go somewhere else.

The only way to work around it is to manually tell it to stop, then give it another move order.

I'll go try and record a video to show you, it happens to me almost every time I command and it's been going on since shortly after build 240
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    I think it is realistic, you tell them to go somewhere and just like the players your commanding they only go where they are supposed to 65% of the time...
    edited May 2013
    http://www.twitch.tv/the_ritual/c/2345848

video of the bug

just realized that OBS was streaming all the audio from my computer, and not just the audio from NS2... i had the twitch window open to make sure it was working so there's a little bit of an echo going on
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    ^ yup, that's exactly the same problem I have.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2013
    Interesting, thanks.. i'll see that it gets reported.

Edit: you shouldn't be able to give move orders to a drifter that is unbuilt, just rally points.

And to be clear you said "only set the rally point from the hive one time, and then can never change it." though i did not see this in the video?

So the only bug i see from the video and what i'll report is that the drifter ignores new commanders until the last one is completed.. and you are able to give move orders to unbuilt drifters.
    edited May 2013
    watch the beginning of the vid, I have the hive selected and I'm trying to set new rally points but it won't let me. then when the 2nd drifter comes out, it goes to every spot that I clicked to try and move the rally point

so I guess technically you can re-set the rally point, but the little line that shows where the rally point is doesn't move and the drifter will go to all of the rally points you've set in consecutive order.
    edited May 2013
    See, in order to set a new rally point you must click the hive again and then right click anywhere.
    Meaning once you apply a rally point, it defaults back to just a waypoint.

edit: this was wrong ^
    Like I said.. watch the vid again lol. I don't de-select the hive until about 25 seconds in, when I select the first drifter just to show that I'm not ordering the 2nd drifter around, it's moving of it's own accord. Unless you mean I have to de-select then re-select the hive every time I want to change the way point, which isn't how it worked in the past and would be a really silly change to implement as it just makes the already clunky UI even clunkier.

Before this bug started happening. You could select the hive, set a rally point, build a drifter, move the rally point, build another drifter... all without ever having to deselect the hive. It's how I'd always get the first few drifters out as soon as the game started because I could give them rally points and then not have to worry about moving them while I was building harvesters.
  • billetbillet Join Date: 2012-10-02 Member: 161318Members
    NS2stats and DAK are the problems here I have found. Stock standard games with no mods I have not had a problem (500+ hours of commander on high level competitive matches).
    I wont command now with servers that run DAK as I have found multiple times where I just CANNOT move drifters and occasionally cant drop res nodes.
    I am a massive user of drifters so I probably notice this more than anyone, I like to know where my enemy is........
    To give weight to what @billet just said....I could not reproduce this issue in vanilla NS2.
    Right clicking not only continued to redeploy a rally point without requiring a reselection, but drifters also canceled whatever order they were given previously if a new one was issued.

Can those of you who were able to reproduce this, like @ritualsacrifice please attempt to reproduce in vanilla ns2 with no mods?
    Yeah, I'll try and find a server with no mods on it, I'll report back how that goes. It literally happens to me every single time I command, but I almost never command outside of pugs/gathers so those servers usually have at least ns2stats. I get that RT bug every time I command since 246 as well.
    you can just start your own server, should be easy if you could reliably reproduce it enough before to take a video?
    Started my own server with no mods on it and it was doing the exact same thing :/
    How do you know no mods were being used, did you check the console? Did you unsubscribe from all mods and then restart ns2?
    And which map / spawn did you reproduce this on? i cannot reproduce it....
    I deleted my workshop folder, started ns2, made sure that it didn't say that any mods were turned on. I didn't check the console but that's easy enough to do so I'll give it another go. It happens for me on all the maps... I wish I could give you steps to reproduce it but there isn't really anything to it other than I get in the chair, try to make drifters, and this bug happens. It doesn't matter if I build anything before the drifters or build the drifters first.
    Weird.
    Idk why i cant reproduce this, if its that reliable for you...
    Please do double check the console, even a clientside mod could be causing issues.

I'll attempt to reproduce again.. so there's no special map or spawn that does this? its 100% reproduceable anywhere you go?
    edited May 2013
    http://www.twitch.tv/the_ritual/b/410346119

unsubscribed from all mods, deleted workshop folder again. made a video of all the steps from the menu screen to when i get in game, also checked the console on video, i'm not entirely sure what it would say if i had a mod enabled but it didn't look like it had any. Sorry if I sound a bit retarded... just woke up and i'm a still a little bit toasted from last night xD
    Ok, we'll try to reproduce in today's playtest.. even though im doubtful.
    Weird its so reproduce-able for you..
    What are your binds, out of curiosity?
    I have a nostromo so it's kind of weird setup..

wsad for movement, m1 for jump, m2 for shadowstep, m4 for crouch, alt for evolve, q fast switch, z ammo, down on the dpad for fire, up on the dpad for med, capslock for flashlight.

But when you get in the com chair it doesn't matter what your binds are, the keys are always the same. Right click for waypoints, left click to select, etc. no matter what.
    Bumping thread because this still happens to me every. single. time.

Except now I have to use the hold position function to get them to stop, and give them orders to grow something to get them moving again. So there's now an extra step involved with working around the bug. This in conjunction with the marine commander UI bugs that have been present since release have made me completely give up on commanding.
  • LowaLowa Join Date: 2013-07-06 Member: 185967Members
    I've had problems with drifters before but after the big update, they are just too much of a bug.
    First of all the set waypiont will get stuck every single game i've had. Sometimes it works again after a while but most of the time it will be stuck for the rest of the game.
    Second, if you set different waypoints it is a huge chance of the drifters going to all of the earlier waypoints before going to the last one you put out. Which means they go into marine bases and stuff in later game and get killed.
    Third, pushing hold position to get them to move where you want them if prevously things happens. They get STUCK. You can't move them at all. not even if I press hold and then the grow button. It won't move.
    They also tend to get stuck in the ceiling on different places. Can get some screenshots of that later on whenever i come across it again.
    They get stuck in the stairs by the power node in eastwing and here in stability they get stuck and they keep swirling around the spot and I can't use them after they've got stuck.
    [img][/img]yfhkBpz.jpg
    Need to figure out why this is happening for only some of you..
    Please attach your techsupport.exe zip file in here
    Here ya go... still happening for me every time I command.
    @ritualsacrifice thanks.. looking into this again.. soooo weird.
    no problem @ironhorse, anything i can do to help. i would've got that to you sooner but i hadn't checked the thread, i'll just make sure to keep an eye on it from now on or you can pm me if you need to
  • JCDJCD Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33150Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Well happens to me all the time in Docking.
    Most times in Stability and East wing.