Rework phase gates on (mini)map

RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
edited May 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
When pressing "c" to see the map, it would be great to see the direction where a phase gate (tele)port you to.

It's kind-of annoying when you take a phase gate (yes, I know, the destination is written when aiming at a phase gate, but not when facing it as if you were going to take it...) and you don't know where you'll land. It can be useful for late joiner; or when there is a lot of phasegate (4-5+).

Aliens doesn't have that problem, since their gorge-tunnels are purely one way (plus you see well where you're going while in the tunnel).

I suggest placing an arrow (being simply 2 mini-line added) at the 1st and 2nd third of every line between 2 linked phasegate once marines have 3+ phasegate; like I'm presenting in the screenshots. I feel that if you place only one arrow per line it will somewhat hard to see.

iMad

edit : arrow might be more or less pale/big; I just did a quick draft using paint; the point is only to know the direction of the phasegates without having to go to one to see it.

Comments

• remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    edited May 2013
    Alternatively, it could just be contextual. Whichever phase gate you are closest to could have the line connecting it to the one you would phase to brighter than any of the others.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    The best idea I've heard for this is having marching ants for the line. simple, immediately recognizable, and useful.
  • ijustpwnedu96ijustpwnedu96 Join Date: 2013-01-27 Member: 182320Members
    Might be useful when in a hurry. In pubs when there are 4-5 phase gates, I just sit in the phase gate until Im at the destination I want to be at. Not really a big problem for me.
  • RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited May 2013
    The thing is, when there is 4-5 phase gates, it might be better in some scenario to simply run to some place rather than teleport; that way you can cut reinforcement / ambush. If you have to take all those phase gates thought.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Might be useful when in a hurry. In pubs when there are 4-5 phase gates, I just sit in the phase gate until Im at the destination I want to be at. Not really a big problem for me.

It's kinda like Floo Powder at that point. ;)
  • aaSpideraaSpider Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73079Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I think this would be a nice addition. The extra arrows don't add much clutter to the map and the extra information could be very useful at times.
  • SherlockSherlock Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168595Members
    I don't see why you would ever have more than three phasegates in a game. If you can't hold all the necessary areas in the game with that few, then you're placing them wrong.
  • RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Sherlock wrote: »
    I don't see why you would ever have more than three phasegates in a game. If you can't hold all the necessary areas in the game with that few, then you're placing them wrong.

Go tell that to every future commander in public games.