Steam Achievements for NS2

SherlockSherlock Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168595Members
edited May 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
I threw this idea around briefly in another thread (about killstreaks/rankings) previously, and I think achievements could not only keep people coming back to the game, but actually improve the teamplay aspect too. Wanted to have a civil discussion with people.

We've had hundreds of threads on killstreaks and rankings, and I agree that both are bad, but achievements could make better players. Of course, you wouldn't add achievements for things like "reach 1000 kills" or "finish a game with X kill/death ratio", as people going for that achievement would be detrimental to the game ethos. Instead, you would want achievements that are easily reachable by good, fair, team-based play, and can otherwise introduce game mechanics to players that would otherwise take a lot longer to realise they can do it.

For example, Marine-based:

Do X amount of structure repairing with a welder
Weld a teammate back to full armour
Buy your first jetpack
Destroy one of each alien upgrade structure
Kill a harvester within the first 180 seconds of a game

And Alien based:

Destroy an observatory whilst it is starting a beacon
Equip every type of upgrade X amount of times
Destroy out X number of phasegates
Get your first kill as a silent fade
Kill the power in an enemy techpoint room

I don't see how anybody particularly going for those achievements could have a detrimental effect to a game. In fact, they might actually aid a player browsing the achievement library in thinking about game mechanics which they had otherwise overlooked. "Oh, I can weld a teammate?", or "Oh wow, I'm actually really good with a regen lerk!"

Thoughts?

Comments

• ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited May 2013
    Honestly I thought about this and don't want it, I don't even want ns2stats to exist (yeah sure it's nice) but it's obnoxious and I don't give a fuck who repaired the most for the round. I want to win the round as a team and that's that, winning is what keeps me playing, the desire to win

Only thing I'd like to see is some type of matching/pug system which rates you using hidden stats (so we don't know how we're being rated, hopefully by overall wins) and have it mark you with a symbol or a badge or something so you can match against other people with the same junk, just no advanced elo/trueskill horrible piece of junk; those things are abusable and fail so hard (and probably require a huge playerbase) so basing off of wins is good enough

Normally I don't care about a matching service, but from everytime I play this game the public play is just really, really bad. Besides the fact that people seem to enjoy 24 slots and all of that garbage (seriously everything goes down the drain with that many players) the unevenness in matches is awful, and I know how good this game feels to play in an even competition match; it's great and I just want to experience that everytime I hop on
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    I do like this idea, maybe roll them out with Bio-dome *hinthint* or something.
  • Samus1111111Samus1111111 Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154930Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nope.

No matter what kind of achievements you put in, there will always been those that cause people to do stupid things (hurting the game) in order to achieve them.

Just looking at some of your examples:

"Weld a teammate back to full armor" - could cause people to not help in engagements so that someone loses all of their armor so they can get the achievement
    "Destroy one of each alien upgrade structures" - I can see people just running around for the entire game looking for upgrade structures and not helping their team
    "Kill a harvester in the first 180 seconds of a game" - people will just rush for the aliens first base/expansion and if they don't get it, leave the server to try again
    "Destroy an observatory whilst it is starting a beacon" - people won't attack the observatory until it starts to beacon or will leave it at 1% until it starts to beacon
    "Equip every type of upgrade X amount of times" - spawn, evolve upgrades, /kill, repeat
    "Kill the power in an enemy techpoint room" - only attacking techpoint power the entire game or not helping until the very end to try to get the kill
    etc.

Not only will this cause stupid people to do stupid things to get the stupid achievements, it is a waste of dev time to think up achievements and implement them.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Agree with Samus, nope, let's try and keep this as a somewhat (lol) competitive driven game where people play to win and not to make their e-penis bigger. (LOL, FUNNY JOKE I'M STILL LAUGHING).
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    We don't need no stinkin' badges!
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Im iffy on achievements

On one hand, they can cause people to go "achievement hunting" and ruin games.
    - They can cause people to ignore the actual game to get achievements

On the other, things like "welding a teammate back to full heath" can reinforce the importance of welding your team
    - They can help people learn the game if they are given tasks to compelte
    - This can also be done with a tutorial, but achievements require less work

Basically, I'm for achievements so long as they are easy to get and straightforward enough to direct people towards playing properly and not based on kills. (things like having parasiteing as a skulk, and powerbuilding a hive as a gorge)

• lordfarvalordfarva Join Date: 2013-05-24 Member: 185357Members
    edited May 2013
    As long as the achievements are ones that you would get by simply playing the game then you will only have a trivial amount of people achievement hunting...

I personally think some steam achievements would be good for this game but they should, like I said, be ones that you would naturally get and they should not be ones that you must grind to get. For example, Kill 5, 10, 25, 100, 500 skulks/lurks/etc is an achievement that one will naturally progress to and grinding to get that achievement just means you play the game. Structure killing achievements are a bit different. To Ghosthree's point, you dont want people grinding to kill Spurs so the achievement should be left at "kill 1 spur/shift, etc" instead of "kill 10 spurs" -

I think there are many simple, non-intrusive achievements that can and should be added for the benefit of the game. I would just stay away from time based (for example, "be cloaked for 30 minutes" is a stupid one that would lead to idiots standing around) and grinding ones (for example, "pop 1000 cysts" could lead to people popping cysts at the wrong times). That being said, there are still many, many fun achievements that could be added (Kill X amount of [alien lifeform] is a good one along with "build x amount of structures" "heal x amount of structures" "evolve x amount of times" "escape with with 1 life point as alien and heal to 100%" etc.
  • DontDont Join Date: 2013-03-25 Member: 184367Members
    Samus, you are blowing those detriments way out of proportion. Most of those example achievements could be acquired in one round on the first attempt, then would never be an issue again (although most aren't an issue in the first place). I agree on the harvester in 180 seconds one because it would potentially take multiple attempts to get, and each attempt could potentially harm your team. Any achievement that will potentially harm your team should not be included. However, if the worst case scenario is that it takes 1-2 attempts to get an achievement that will help your team with no risk, then it should be added. You seem to be assuming that the good achievements that actually promote winning/teamwork (destroying the power in a marine base isn't exactly a bad thing for a skulk to do...) will take multiple attempts to acquire and that the majority of players will cause harm to your team to get them. I mean, you seriously think it will take multiple attempts to weld a teammate to full armor and that a player will not shoot the attacker? Worst case scenario, 1 out of 30 or so players will cause a microscopic detriment to your team to get the achievement by playing like you said, but then, since the achievements are 1 time things, it's over! (If it was "weld a teammate to full armor 100 times, then we'd have a problem) The achievements will draw in a few achievement whores who are on the edge, with only a downside of a small amount of players trying to achieve them improperly.

I'll put up with 1 guy out of 30 being a slight detriment for a small amount of time (until they get the achievement), if it means expanding the player base, even slightly.

Also, mega grinding achievements like lordfarva said are all fine. But to be safe, the achievements shouldn't show the current status. (As in, a player shouldn't be able to see they have 8 cysts left to pop for an achievement, because then you will have that 1 in 30 guy who goes on a cyst Rambo rampage)
  • Samus1111111Samus1111111 Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154930Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The question is though, how many players would simply adding achievements attract? It sounds like you guys think that if achievements are added the game will gain hundreds of players due to that fact alone (and that they stay). I don't have any statistics or anything, but I doubt that people will buy the game and continue to play it merely for achievements.
  • WoollySammothWoollySammoth Join Date: 2013-02-14 Member: 183062Members
    Having achievement might not be too bad an idea. It wont make people play it just for achievements, it might act as a little extra incentive though. :p

NS2 can be a little complex for beginners to understand everything they should be doing, having achievements could be used as little pointers to rookies about what to do:

Protect teammates from xx amount of damage with umbra
    Bile bomb xx structures skulks are attacking
    Kill an alien within xx seconds of it damaging a powernode
    Drop your LMG to pick up a dead xx team mate's [res costing] weapons
    Damage a marine within xx seconds of a team mate damaging it.

Perhaps nothing quite so obvious, but i'm shure you all get what i mean :p

How are steam achievements done anyway? Is it possible to have community modded steam achievements?
  • ijustpwnedu96ijustpwnedu96 Join Date: 2013-01-27 Member: 182320Members
    Some people will only focus on getting a certain achievement without actually caring about the match.

Maybe more viable achievements would be...

Buy a Shotgun
    Evolve into a Lerk
    Buy mines
    Weld a team mate to full armor with a welder
    Win as a Marine Commander
    Win as an Alien Commander
    Win on Refinery as Aliens
    Win on Tram as Marines
    Etc...

People will be more willing to buy shotguns, become commanders, evolve into lerk instead of saving up for onos, and actually be more focused on winning games.
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    Achieverment : Do you best with your mates to give the best fight, whether win or lose.
    Badge : None, just having a good time, satisfaction, fun of gaming
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited May 2013
    Achievements: Worst idea in the history of man kind.
    DON'T DO IT.