What to do when a comm trolls?

BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
edited September 2013 in New Player Forum
Is the answer: get an admin in?

I don't understand the whole "don't name and shame" rule if one has sufficient evidence.

EDIT: I think I made this post BEFORE the votekick option, so worry no further.

Comments

• KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
  • BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    Kamamura wrote: »
    Vote eject?

How do you do that if he recycles before we all get him out? And what if he keeps changing his name? And what if he keeps changing sides?

It isn't anywhere near as good as a votekick option.

How about also if a guy keeps telling the opposition the whereabouts and tactics of his team in the team chat?
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The only way to stop a person determined to ruin your game is to get an admin.

There's a Steam Group of some server admins so that you can contact them directly through Steam chat. Failing that, you can also google the server's name and find their website, but chances are you won't be able to find an admin's Steam id easily.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    Is the answer: get an admin in?

I don't understand the whole "don't name and shame" rule if one has sufficient evidence.
    Kamamura wrote: »
    Vote eject?

How do you do that if he recycles before we all get him out? And what if he keeps changing his name? And what if he keeps changing sides?

Sounds like a troll, get an admin involved, for the official servers, ask IronHorse, provide video evidence (Use Fraps or dxtory and youtube) and his or her steam id (sv_stats in console), you can also try to find his or her Steam profile and use "Report Violation".

As for the "don't name and shame", the above is a good example, they're in for the trolling and the fame, no need to give them any attention here.
    Reporting them to server admins and Steam Support will get them out the quickest.
  • ChizzlerChizzler Join Date: 2013-01-04 Member: 177532Members
    Team F4 (ends game if enough people leave the match), Start new Match and get in the CC first OR eject them immediately. Contact admins if possible.
  • notyourbuddynotyourbuddy Join Date: 2013-04-17 Member: 184868Members
    New player. Trolling in this game is horrible. Happens on a nightly basis. Mic spam, recycling, intentionally building to nowhere, intentionally building nothing. After awhile its not worth server hopping to find a game anymore. Just better to log out.

Is there an in-game command to bring up a kick vote and temp ban of a player? Or is the only solution to go find the server admin?
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    There is no votekick/ban feature at this moment.
    A community effort is underway to make a list of known offenders: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/129777/ns2bans-com-name-and-shame-here#latest
    To view the IDs of players, open the console with ~, type sv_stats and hit enter.
    Note the ID of the offending player, record their activities(use fraps or ezvid), upload the video and contact the server admin and provide ID and video proof.
  • TinkerTinker Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14395Members
    I've never had that big a problem with trolling. Not gonna say it's never happened to me but if I've ever hit 2 troll servers in a row I've never noticed.
  • A[L]CA[L]C Join Date: 2010-07-25 Member: 72801Members
    Feel free to join us on Alcatraz. He have server admins on most of the time

http://www.gameserverdirectory.com/server/109.70.148.28:27026
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    You may name and shame, just not here in puplic. If you do meet "toxic" players, get an admin to deal whit it (Ironhorse and myself can be contacted if its on a UWE server).
    Even better if you record the shananigans, and provide he admins whit actual profe :)
  • omega79omega79 Join Date: 2013-08-31 Member: 187470Members

Selling the only IP should be blocked by default ...
    it also sucks if the commander forces the team to concede if the vote concede did not pass
    i mean there is a vote, and if it not pass then respect it ... it means most of the team still want to play!

• princessprincess Yaaar! Bristol Join Date: 2004-09-11 Member: 31605Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    Getting hold of an admin is your best bet. On the YO Clan server we have a feature that allows you to type " !admin your message" to send a message directly to our IRC channel. It's very useful, more servers should adopt the idea, assuming they use IRC :)
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Sometimes trolls are just greens who just shouldn't have hopped in chair yet (lacking understanding of gameplay/tech tree). I tend to notice more trolling and inadvertent trolling during gree- I mean, Free weekends.

Anyways, trolls gonna troll. All advice above is superb, though. Also, trying to play on the same servers regularly can help, you'll find ones that have better player bases and/or more active admins.
    edited September 2013
  • McBernsMcBerns Join Date: 2013-08-04 Member: 186563Members
    Infantry portals should never be recycled, period. Unless its the last one.
  • SniperFodderSniperFodder Join Date: 2013-09-08 Member: 187997Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    McBerns wrote: »
    Infantry portals should never be recycled, period. Unless its the last one.

*Hops into command Chair at beginning of game. Sees only one Infantry Portal. Immediately recycles it*
    The hell? Why'd we loose????

EDIT: I'm a terrible speller...
    If the power goes out and you see no chance to get the room back then you may have to recycle the IP.
  • Madkow990Madkow990 Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188108Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Vote Eject -> Vote Kick -> Reset Round -> Get An Admin.
  • DraptorDraptor Join Date: 2013-03-05 Member: 183721Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Don't know why someone disagreed with you madkow- that's pretty much all you can do. Especially if you have a troll comm in the critical first 10 minutes of a round.
  • Side1Bu2Rnz9Side1Bu2Rnz9 Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162510Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    If the power goes out and you see no chance to get the room back then you may have to recycle the IP.

If power is out ips don't work so no need to recycle.

If power is out ips don't work so no need to recycle.

@side1bu2rnz9

But if you have three bases and one is lost and you see no chance in keeping everything intact, why would you not recycle it? You'd recycle everything, IP included, whilst building elsewhere.

• ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    Hit ESC and click the disconnect button/
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Join another server and let the tool play on his own, or get an admin.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Kill it before it reproduces.