Suggestion: Request to have a future official map take place on a more "alien" world.

eliotmateliotmat Join Date: 2002-12-01 Member: 10350Members, Reinforced - Shadow
Good evening UWE.

I would like to request that a future official map take place on a more "alien" world.

Recently, I've tried to create a custom map that takes place on an alien world - where humans have just set up an outpost for future research expeditions. However, I had to abandon my efforts because there are very few alien props and textures available.

I know, I know - Why don't I make my own textures and props? Well, mostly because I suck as a human being and don't have the knowledge or tools to make my own. I'm just skilled and detail-oriented enough to draw boxes and place props in the spark editor.

If you could make a map in an alien setting, then us custom mappers would have a whole new set of textures and props making new and unique environments possible.

Thank you for your consideration.

Comments

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Isn't the whole idea that the aliens are invading the marines?
  • eliotmateliotmat Join Date: 2002-12-01 Member: 10350Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »

I have no idea bra, but thanks for the input?
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Not saying it's a bad idea, could make an awesome map, just thought it was against the "story".
  • Samus1111111Samus1111111 Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154930Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The marines decided to take the fight to the aliens ;).
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
  • eliotmateliotmat Join Date: 2002-12-01 Member: 10350Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The storyline to me seems very loosly known at this point. I've been playing NS for years and years and years, and the storyline has never been readily apparent to me.

I think it's reasonable, regardless of the main story, that an encounter could take place in an "alien" setting whether by accident or by deliberate attack.

Having this type of "official" map would open up many new possible environments for custom mappers.
  • WoollySammothWoollySammoth Join Date: 2013-02-14 Member: 183062Members
    The TSF are terraforming a planet, unbeknownst to them aliens are there. Thus ensues canonical, alien world based mayhem. :p

I like the idea, makes me pine for Planet of the Vampires.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Story: First contact with aliens occurs on their own world. Scientists set up an outpost and "they delved too greedily and too deep," we all know how that turns out.

I'm all for a more alien world. Even if it was a sort of hybrid, where half is outpost and half is "alien" territory.
  • snozysnozy Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185318Members
    These aliens are man-made right? So they don't have a homeworld. They can just take one from the humans and turn it into an Alien infested planet. Homeworld, boom.
  • sHawke_NativesHawke_Native Join Date: 2012-12-20 Member: 175650Members
    snozy wrote: »
    These aliens are man-made right? So they don't have a homeworld. They can just take one from the humans and turn it into an Alien infested planet. Homeworld, boom.

no if you check the lore the Kharra are brought to humans by humans when they arrived on the kharra homeworld

• DeskLampDeskLamp Australia Join Date: 2013-02-03 Member: 182783Members
    Who said that anything alien had to be strictly kharaa?
    DeskLamp wrote: »
    Who said that anything alien had to be strictly kharaa?

The plot thickens.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited May 2013
    There's a few good NS1 short stories.. pretty sure it's all fan made but still.

From all of the writing it's always been aliens infesting human facilities or ships etc.

I don't think Spark can handle outside environments and I'm not sure how NS gameplay would work outside.. unless it was like really dense forestry and lots of cover I think Marines would have a hay day.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »

Nah, the evil corporations want the Sludge and the Kharaa are in their way, since Sludge is their food source. Humans are the aggressor for economical reason. And the TSF are the ones send out to deal with it, under equipped mind you. That's why they need to build their base from the ground up.