A scary graph for ns2

2»

Comments

• TinkerTinker Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14395Members
    That's funny because NS2 is the most fun I have gaming hands down right now. It fills the niche I crave like a junkie and my biggest concern is Balance first (I run the game fine) and Performance second (I want more people to be able to run the game fine).

What I want to know is why this is in the new player forum as if it's relevant for new players?
  • baconbitsbaconbits Join Date: 2013-01-17 Member: 180124Members
    Its definitely a combination of things. "Niche game" explains why ns2 is gonna have a low'ish pop to start with but poor performance is what's keeping people away.

With consoles around few people have gaming pcs and even fewer with excellent ones that can shovel their way through ns2's coding. Coupled with bug filled patches and you're talking about a small percentage of a gamers who can even run the game reliably. Now add competitive players roflstomping all the noobs in the remaining servers. That's a lot of rage quitting for one game to handle.
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2013
    Niche game, archaic design, almost zero marketing and advertising, teamplay and communication focused, requires skill and time investment, not casual, not free to play, performance problems, not noob friendly.

Almost every condition that would hinder a games popularity is present in NS2. Just as an example: I never even knew NS existed before TotalBiscuit did a video on NS2 with Hugh, that was last year.
  • HuoyueHuoyue Join Date: 2013-07-17 Member: 186162Members
    Zombies are more popular than space bugs. A sad truth.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Huoyue wrote: »
    Zombies are more popular than space bugs. A sad truth.
    Then it's obvious what the third race has to be... Infested Zombie Space Orks
  • Smokey1Smokey1 Join Date: 2013-07-24 Member: 186349Members
    You should never compare WarZ with another game, let alone NL2. I have alot of experience with warz so you should know that the biggest reason most people are playing warz is because it is the most unbalance piece of dog dudu on the planet. And because it is fairly simple to start hacking. Meanwhile people on the NL2 Side are here because we love the depth of the game and playing strategically with our friends and server buddies.
  • FrankerZFrankerZ Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151627Members
    Smokey1 wrote: »
    You should never compare WarZ with another game, let alone NL2. I have alot of experience with warz so you should know that the biggest reason most people are playing warz is because it is the most unbalance piece of dog dudu on the planet. And because it is fairly simple to start hacking. Meanwhile people on the NL2 Side are here because we love the depth of the game and playing strategically with our friends and server buddies.

That's the point, a great game like NS2 should be more succesful at player retention than the hacker infested warz, if not, they're doing something wrong that goes beyond the gameplay they offer.

• Super_GorgeSuper_Gorge Join Date: 2013-03-22 Member: 184212Members
    FrankerZ wrote: »
    That's the point, a great game like NS2 should be more succesful at player retention than the hacker infested warz, if not, they're doing something wrong that goes beyond the gameplay they offer.

Based on my rough calculation (which I know to be conservative in attrition), new player retention is about 1 in 5. Roughly. Probably more 1 in 6 when you add in the new players that quit from the second sale I didn't account for.

Several players here and on Steam have been in denial, but the numbers that Steam is generating are fairly grim, especially for a game that isn't even a year old. And one that's had four serious sales.

• Goliath VietnamGoliath Vietnam Join Date: 2013-01-07 Member: 178080Members
    Darwin said : Nature have chossen UWE
    >>> Natural Selection 2 ( too) !!!! :))

Dont mess with Mother Nature , let her decide favourite child
    And carefull with your topics ...... she can read :D
  • Super_GorgeSuper_Gorge Join Date: 2013-03-22 Member: 184212Members
    Darwin said : Nature have chossen UWE
    >>> Natural Selection 2 ( too) !!!! :))

Sales can only go on for so long. UWE is running out of tricks to artificially keep the player population up rather than deal with the core reasons why people don't stick around. What a shame for such a (formerly) good game.
    Dont mess with Mother Nature , let her decide favourite child
    And carefull with your topics ...... she can read :D

Obviously. A thread I posted hard numbers to suddenly stopped being updated to the top of the list. Seems that the devs do not like someone doing hard analysis on Steam Charts. It's their forum and they can do whatever they want, but that really reeks of borderline Fascism.
  • TurbineTurbine Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159160Members
    NS2 deserves to die for awhile, I love and game and have played since NS1, but it feels like they aren't caring about their players. There are so many bugs and exploits as well as looming performance issues.

I bought new parts as they seem to be going towards worse performance and stopping tweaks from working. Such as deleting the infestation files to in order to remove it.

The game seems to be getting worse unfortunately and ns2stats.com is showing that the game is poorely balanced now. A few versions ago they were matched even.