Alien gender.

Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
I have long wondered what gender each of the alien lifeforms is. I know they're presented in a gender neutral way in the game, but something about their appearances and behaviors seems to suggest either masculinity of femininity. 

From my perspective, the skulk and fade are rather masculine in their behavior and are most likely male. The gorge and onos, on the other hand, strike me as being female in one way or another. The lerk I'm a little unsure of, it seems more male to me but I can also see how it would be interpreted as being female.

I'd be interested in hearing other people's take on this pressing issue.

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    IIRC Flayra has said that aliens are all female
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Aliens are from Venus, Marines are for Mars
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    Babbler code talks about "Mama Gorge".
  • FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
    So you want to see the ding dongs on aliens, huh?
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    Because the code was written by humans... tasty tasty humans. :P
  • kespeckespec Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172279Members
    if we take the example of bees, the worker class of a hive must be sterile females. and afaik male drones are not good combatants
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Aliens do have balls though, lot's of different types of balls even...
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ns2 is an allegory.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    exploding drones... hmm.
    Perhaps we should rename xenocide to something uhm.. different? :p
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    That cute bee emoticon at the end there cracks me up.
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    aliens reproduce asexually. No genders required.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    Res wrote: »

Aliens actually don't reproduce AT ALL. The bacterium produces them as needed, they are essentially manufactured by it.
  • GrueneMedizinGrueneMedizin Join Date: 2012-12-13 Member: 175008Members
    Marines, check your CIS privileges
  • TimariusTimarius Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171220Members
    sotanaht wrote: »

Aliens actually don't reproduce AT ALL. The bacterium produces them as needed, they are essentially manufactured by it.

You're just another cog in the MACHINE, man! Just another... just another... a COG! Like, a piece of, like... CLOCKWORK, MAN! Your egg wasn't even laid by a mother! You're just a manufactured BASTARD! You're like... just... just like... a... a...

I mean, you don't even know what I mean, man! You're just a no good COG in some BIG CONGLOMERATION!

You're not even a real PERSON, MAN!

You know... you know... you know what I'm sayin', man?
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited May 2013
    IronHorse wrote: »
    (the drones literally explode after mating and are dead before they hit the ground)

Jesus christ, hide that post under scary material please!
  • Qwurty2.0Qwurty2.0 Join Date: 2013-01-04 Member: 177431Members
    The drones don't explode! Sensationalist claims spreading lies.

It's their testicles that explode. ;)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I didn't want to get into that sort of detail lol..
    But here ya go :

But ya its true, his male member (not testicles) is actually ripped apart from his body due to the explosive muscular force exerted in that moment, left inside the queen for another drone to clear out. He dies shortly after from trauma, sometimes before they hit the ground, other times hours later. You can watch them fall or find them mangled on the ground quite often. Depending on who you ask, supposedly if you're close enough you can hear the "pop" as it occurs. :-P
  • Qwurty2.0Qwurty2.0 Join Date: 2013-01-04 Member: 177431Members
    Ahhhh yes, the beauty of nature.

Like the penis-fencing, rape-or-be-raped flatworm brawls we label "mating", lol.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    IronHorse wrote: »
    I didn't want to get into that sort of detail lol..
    But here ya go :

But ya its true, his male member (not testicles) is actually ripped apart from his body due to the explosive muscular force exerted in that moment, left inside the queen for another drone to clear out. He dies shortly after from trauma, sometimes before they hit the ground, other times hours later. You can watch them fall or find them mangled on the ground quite often. Depending on who you ask, supposedly if you're close enough you can hear the "pop" as it occurs. :-P

I hope humans do not evolve any more than they already have...I don't like the chances.
  • KuddlyKalliKuddlyKalli Yuggera Country Join Date: 2010-12-23 Member: 75905Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    The alien lifeforms are all female. Which makes sense when you think about it.

As mindlessly aggressive as males are, there is nothing more dangerous than a cornered mother defending her nest. This is essentially what happens when marines arrive at a facility and the Kharaa bacterium begins producing eggs.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I thought the aliens were created as necessary by the infestation when needed to defend the hive?
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Must be awful to be a bee. I'd rather be a wasp instead.
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    Who says there are only 2 genders... Maybe there are 3-5... Lets not get to graphic with figuring out the dynamics and leave that orgy to ones imagination .
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited May 2013
    I thought the aliens were created as necessary by the infestation when needed to defend the hive?

Which is exactly what I said.

At one point, the original lifeforms the aliens are based on may have had two genders. The bacterium has twisted those original templates into creatures that better suit its needs however, and given its method of producing them, gender traits would probably be among the first things eliminated in the design.
  • irvingthebumblebeeirvingthebumblebee Join Date: 2013-05-19 Member: 185285Members
    edited May 2013
    Timarius wrote: »
    sotanaht wrote: »

You're just another cog in the MACHINE, man! Just another... just another... a COG! Like, a piece of, like... CLOCKWORK, MAN! Your egg wasn't even laid by a mother! You're just a manufactured BASTARD! You're like... just... just like... a... a...

I mean, you don't even know what I mean, man! You're just a no good COG in some BIG CONGLOMERATION!

You're not even a real PERSON, MAN!

You know... you know... you know what I'm sayin', man?

Oh I'm fully aware that I'm just another "cog" in the "machine".

It's only when we take a step back and look at the big picture that we see how worthless individuals truly are.

You disapprove? Well, too bad! We're in this war for the species, boys and girls. It's simple numbers. They have more.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'd just like to point out that bacteria also reproduce asexually.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    maD_maX_ wrote: »
    Who says there are only 2 genders... Maybe there are 3-5... Lets not get to graphic with figuring out the dynamics and leave that orgy to ones imagination .
    Exactly, or perhaps there are none. Why the wish to categorize everything, it's a virtual world, we already have enough problems IRL regarding those issue :D