Eject commander

Bi0d3rmsBi0d3rms Join Date: 2010-12-22 Member: 75862Members
edited May 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
hi there,

please add something who will determine what side (alien or marine) to active "Eject action", a kill/death ratio by side from all player detection will not be difficult to add.
if a side win statistically, why "eject commander" action is active ?
or add a loading bar progress for upgrade only ?

Too many time i'm ejected because someONE whine and all the team follow him while my side win the game, yes while we winning.

It's frustrating, really.

Comments

• tummy_yummytummy_yummy Join Date: 2013-05-01 Member: 185073Members, Reinforced - Gold, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Do you use a mic in game?
  • Bi0d3rmsBi0d3rms Join Date: 2010-12-22 Member: 75862Members
    i must argument my seat commander while we win ?
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Yes. Just because you are winning doesn't mean you are helping the situation. If you find yourself frequently getting ejected you should figure out or ask why people are ejecting you and fix the problem. 
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'm guessing it's a problem with communication with your team. Next time it happens, try to find out why from someone. It might be something you hadn't thought important that the majority of people expect, like timely medpack/ammo support, for example. Or if you drop sentires all over the place, that could also explain it ;)
  • tummy_yummytummy_yummy Join Date: 2013-05-01 Member: 185073Members, Reinforced - Gold, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Bi0d3rms said:
    i must argument my seat commander while we win ?
    Thought so.
    Every single commander I've ever seen get ejected has had no mic. It makes a huge difference for the team to know that they you are immediately responsive to their requests and suggestions, not to mention that you can communicate your intentions / strategy regularly.
    current1y said:
    Yes. Just because you are winning doesn't mean you are helping the situation.
    are you sure ? i didn't agree
    current1y said:
    If you find yourself frequently getting ejected you should figure out or ask why people are ejecting you and fix the problem. 
    it's always 1 player who whine to don't have all upgrade at 5 min or dual exo and don't want to understand why it's so long to wait an upgrade so he will thinks "kick commander is the best way" to feel better, it's animal, no reflexion.
    yeah a valid argument from angry player against a fact
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Well, I have no idea what's happened in your games, but if everyone else other than you wants you out of the chair, I'm pretty sure the fault lies in the mirror.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    You need to ask why more people also voted to eject. If you're doing a good job as commander, most people would not agree to eject...

If it happened once or twice, chalk it up to a bad bunch of people. If it happened more, or continues to happen, then maybe, just maybe, there is a problem with some aspect of your commanding...

• ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members

I've seen a commander ejected because the team was losing, even though the commander was doing everything right, but one angry person thinks otherwise and the rest of the team follows suit because they are losing.

edited May 2013
    ok it's seem legit to eject while you lose and while you win, you say paradox or logic ?

eject system isn't perfect but must need some modification for me
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter

Even if the team is winning doesn't mean that the commander is doing well. The eject system is more than fine.

Bi0d3rms said:

eject system isn't perfect but must need some modification for me
    I think the bolded part here sums up this thread pretty nicely.
    Seriously though OP, use a mic
  • Mc_IntireMc_Intire Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182745Members
    My experience as a commader is: If you are nice and talk with your team everyone will work with you just fine even if you mess up a little here and there. There are exceptions, like when some *pg* thinks he needs upgrade x or y one minute into the game on a server where I spend half my time rebuilding towers that my team did not guard, those want to eject me sometimes, but usually they do not get backed up by their team. At least I have not been kicked out of the seat yet, even when I knew I messed up.
    edited May 2013
    Therius said:

Even if the team is winning doesn't mean that the commander is doing well.

Paradox again, you mean game pgm against noob, it happen sometime and sure you are right but it's not what i'm talking about, i mean balanced game.
  • BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    I've seen people like Virsoul and Saunamen Hopsu almost be ejected.

I've been troll ejected before. It can work if people peer pressure. I was ejected whilst two of my friends were there, and of course they did not eject me. 

Sometimes you just get trolled, to be honest. Apart from that, I've been ejected on a French server. We were winning very handily and I was doing the right things, but perhaps due to the fact that I couldn't understand a thing they were saying apart from one guy who seemed to have tourettes for saying "FLAMETHROWERS, I still got ejected.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I care more about a communicative commander than a winning one in pubs.

Plenty of times winning or losing can be due to other factors like the skill of every other player and even the other commander... But if you didn't tell your team you just dropped a hive or were rushing flamethrowers, you will find an uncoordinated team that's upset at your lack of actual "commanding" the team.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    I play about 50%-60% of the time commander and never really got ejected. When some frustrated guy starts a vote because I didn't put any Crags into Courtyard 5 seconds after he asked for it, I just ask him what exactly his problem is and then he comes to a reason or at least doesn't get any votes from other players.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2013
    I play commander on pubs fairly frequently and I don't think I've ever been ejected, other than by the occasional troll who wants to take over the chair and drop mist or build the IP in the wall or something. I also don't think I've even been on a team that ejected a commander without having a good reason for it.

It's possible that my experience of the game has simply been drastically different than yours, but I would suggest that you think over what you are doing. You may be doing something worthy of ejection and don't realize it. Like others have said, if you don't have a mic that could be what's doing it right there. People expect to be in communication with their commander at all times and many will eject a comm for not having a mic.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I have to say that apart from the times when everyone ejects everyone and good times were had by all. The only ejections I see are legit (even if it's in the players own twisted logic).
  • CataclyzmCataclyzm Join Date: 2005-01-06 Member: 33031Members
    Part of being a commander is asserting your authority. If you are not pushy enough to keep yourself in the chair then it isn't worth being in there.
    I was ejected once and I didn't deserve to be there that game. We were winning. People were enjoying my commanding antics. But, there was enough people that were upset that shotguns were not researched mid-game, so I was ejected. In that situation I was not pushy enough to get people on-board with my plan.
    There are other games, however, that I tell people how it is and that is it. It just depends on who your team is comprised of and if anyone want to challenge you.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter

On servers I play we had more or less regular community, and we do eject commanders we never seen before (we are always like: anybody seen him before?) for these reasons:

- Commander is green AND not doing anything within x seconds after game start OR doing obviously ridiculous stuff right away

- Commander is doing poorly (slow to react, no warnings, no commands) AND won't use the mic

- Commander is trying to execute non-default pub (where default is PGs, Shift/Cara first) strategy AND won't use the mic

We don't eject people who:

- Are green but can build basic stuff and communicate/listen to his team, even if he is slow to place and and does poor job on positioning buildings.

- Give us a waring that we are getting silence first or rush arcs (robo first without warning is instaeject, nobody wants team res wasted on sentries in skylights, camo first is also a sign of a less experienced commando, unless they got a plan and tell us about it). I'm fine with any strategy, just let me know if it's not like in 95% of pub games.

- Won't communicate, but do their job well. You don't really need to communicate much if you are going for basic strategies, so it's fine.

Here's an example: sub marines, flight aliens, we had a comm we don't know, he won't communicate, but started out fine with 2 RTs in comp and vent, then he dropped ROBO. Our first thought was "Noob commando", which was followed by eject voting. Got new, well known here commando, still decided to go on with what we had, upgraded to arc factory and got 2 arcs. No obs. We had to sacrifice ourselves to get LoS for arcs. Managed to take down the hive.

Another example is foreign comm who didn't say a word or type a single letter. But he was doing an excellent job, nobody had to wait and ask for stuff, he was like keeping an eye on whole map and dropping stuff just when you were going to start about asking a comm. Those kind of people never get ejected.

But if you are slow and silent, this creates a mental image of little kid who just got his hands on the game and is unsure of what he has to do. That's when you get ejected.

Also, local joke is to eject well known good commanders before game starts. We call this a 'riot' and it's more of a compliment. It usually goes with laughs from both commander and the team.

So.. uhh... yea, I'm fine with eject.

• amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    only ever been ejected once.. and that was a game where we were ejecting everybody... think we went through 5 comms that game... think the last guy only survived because we were afraid of running out of competent comms. 16 man game.
  • ezayezay Join Date: 2013-03-11 Member: 183899Members

I've been troll ejected before. It can work if people peer pressure. I was ejected whilst two of my friends were there, and of course they did not eject me. 

Sometimes you just get trolled, to be honest. Apart from that, I've been ejected on a French server. We were winning very handily and I was doing the right things, but perhaps due to the fact that I couldn't understand a thing they were saying apart from one guy who seemed to have tourettes for saying "FLAMETHROWERS, I still got ejected.
    I can relate to that; I've ejectvoted non-french speaking commanders on french servers, simply because I was the only one speaking both languages and that my team mates were lost. I wouldn't recommend commanding on a server which languages isnt familiar to you (except obviously if no one else wants to command).
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    >>Team A is winning on alien. 
    >>Team A's khammander jumps out of the hive to fend off an attacker. 
    >>Random pub jumps in chair and starts spending res.

Going by your idea, Team A could not eject the random pub and/or possible troll since that team is winning.
    Eject is working fine as is. 
  • CataclyzmCataclyzm Join Date: 2005-01-06 Member: 33031Members
    joshhh said:
    >>Team A is winning on alien. 
    >>Team A's khammander jumps out of the hive to fend off an attacker. 
    >>Random pub jumps in chair and starts spending res.

Going by your idea, Team A could not eject the random pub and/or possible troll since that team is winning.
    Eject is working fine as is. 
    And that is another issue! I don't feel comfortable getting out of the khammchair, because people start to get wary... or the worse, someone else jumps in. However, there are plenty of times where I would be better serving out of the khammchair as we fight for ground or wait for resources.
  • IAMKINGIAMKING Join Date: 2012-09-14 Member: 159328Members
    people always jump in comm when i drop myself a tres lerk, it is very frustrating
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members

ezay said:

I can relate to that; I've ejectvoted non-french speaking commanders on french servers, simply because I was the only one speaking both languages and that my team mates were lost. I wouldn't recommend commanding on a server which languages isnt familiar to you (except obviously if no one else wants to command).
    If you don't speak the language you probably shouldn't be on the server at all, also, I've found that just one or two non-English speakers on a server is enough to make me want to leave.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    IAMKING wrote: »
    people always jump in comm when i drop myself a tres lerk, it is very frustrating
    depends on how early that egg is... you can lerk or you can comm, doing both may be wearing too many hats.