Aliens vs. Aliens?

GergiHakfrizGergiHakfriz Join Date: 2013-01-27 Member: 182380Members
I had a random thought the other day about what it would be like if two alien or marine teams could square up against each other?

I feel like it could be a pretty cool experience, but I realize that it could also possibly upset the core identity of NS2 as being Marines vs. Aliens.

Anyway, just thought I'd share an idea for people to think about...thoughts?

Comments

• WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
    I'd get this feeling:
    <center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MiEwmiPSmto"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MiEwmiPSmto" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    There's already a marine vs marine mod in development and from the testing gameplay I've seen, it is turning up nicely

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=116645" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=116645</a>

Nothing on alien vs alien. But can you imagine a game where both teams go camo? Or Fades blinking around each other and then retreating when low health. Skulks leaping around trying to get one bite. And how would Gorge's work. The most difficult part would be making them distinctly noticeable for each side so unless you recolor them it will not turn out well. Besides a noticeable recolor would make aliens stand out when they are based around sneaking and such. It would be bad.
  • VesanusVesanus Join Date: 2009-07-18 Member: 68183Members
    I love AvA!

For AvA camo issue - You can always make certain buildings (for expample "veil") act like observatory to uncover enemy's cloaking.

AvA would be awesome, i loved it in NS1 (it was a bit buggy, but still playable) - Custom models/textures/colours. There were certain restrictions like Onos couldn't "eat" other onoses/fades. Umbra was good against lerkspike. Gorges bile bombing hives, Skulks killing each other with two bites. Parasiting was also good :)

The biggest issue would be Cysts..
  • WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
    Vesanus wrote: »
    I love AvA!

Maybe go by the SC rule of creep is creep.

• sHawke_NativesHawke_Native Join Date: 2012-12-20 Member: 175650Members
    to solve the cysting problem is to have the entire base covered
    Vesanus wrote: »
    I love AvA!

Maybe go by the SC rule of creep is creep.

That's not a bad idea :)

Also "settlers" rule could be implemented (borders) - Like here:

settlers2rttr.jpg
    edited February 2013
    Anyone "toying" with AvA idea yet?
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    AVA and MVM... larger maps with over 5 techpoints...

You know what I'm thinking...
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Imagine fade vs lerk
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    what about 3 or 4 teams? Of course we'll need an idea for the 3rd race, my idea is a highly advanced race
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    Just thinking of how one could twist the lore to try and work this out... Maybe the Trans-Govs created a mirror of the TSA, trying to delay efforts, and received help from a splinter faction of the Kharaa wanting to have the system all to themselves.

The rest of the Kharaa, disgusted that brethren would work with humans, are now working with humans to destroy this freak ideal. And because they want universal domination, not a measly sectioned off area.

Ok, that sounds like fan fiction, let’s just move onto A&M vs. A&M...
    Still would like to see just AvA. Imagine gorge bilebombing hives or lerk using gas on onos... etc.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Whoever wins, we lose.
    Sadly that there isn't anything done in this direction :cc
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I'd play it. Lots. Would be awesome to see this with 3 alien teams too haha
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Oh man. I keep imagining a sight of a pack of skulks running out and then coming back together for some bites, and repeat. It'd be like everyone on a TF2 server going scout with melee only (one of the most hilarious games you'll ever play of TF2). Likes a bunch of bees constantly expanding and contracting. That would indeed be interesting.
  • Metal HandkerchiefMetal Handkerchief Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168697Members
    edited April 2013
    dragonmith wrote: »
    Just thinking of how one could twist the lore to try and work this out... Maybe the Trans-Govs created a mirror of the TSA, trying to delay efforts, and received help from a splinter faction of the Kharaa wanting to have the system all to themselves.

Or, just make an alien faction infused with nanobots by humans to fight Kharaa. Simply add a patchy black "borg but not borg" layer on top of their skin and make their infestation a black powdery substance.

Instead of a comm, they could have a birthing pool (no eggs) and an automatic, slow but purpouseful creep and automatic building of res towers as soon as they are within creep. They will get resources slower than regular Kharaa, but have all the 'upgrades' programmed into them thanks to their nanobots and thus can always get celerity/carapace/silence (and the others) as a lerk/ fade/ gorge /onos (but not skulk)

Instead of camo they would get 'shadow', basically turning them into a black mist, not unlike the fade when blinking, with a slight displacement effect with 'mirror images' so that there is an effect on Kharaa accuracy when it is in effect.

That solves two things: visual identity and background. Balance wise, their buildings would be 50% tougher than regular Kharaa. Skulks would be slower but tougher. Of course, this would have to be a mod.
    Still nothing.. :c
  • nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
    was thinking about some man on man action? opinions?
  • ChrisAUSChrisAUS Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172108Members
    Finally! Skulks can be the most OP unit in the game!
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I'd play it. Lots. Would be awesome to see this with 3 alien teams too haha

Those were my thought on MvM. And guess what. It's not fun at all...
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'd love to see and play AvA, it's a great idea. Although I have a feeling it would be a lot harder to make this happen than MvM...

Alien combat is mostly melee-based, and melee vs. melee would depend a lot on proper collision handling. Not impossible I think, but much harder to get right than marines shooting other marines.

In related news, really looking forward to playing MvM when it's ready for 248+ :)
    Still nothing.. :c
  • RoflcopterV22RoflcopterV22 Arizona Join Date: 2013-04-03 Member: 184616Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited July 2013
    Frankly, this is a bad idea, alien lifeforms just aren't balanced to go against eachother in a fun way, it would be a silly thing to do for a while, but not a viable game option.

As for actual mods in this direction, I remember seeing a "Thunder Hive" mod a while back (Doesn't seem to be on workshop anymore though) where it was skulks v skulks and one bite killed, which sounds like hilariously fast paced fun.

EDIT: This post about someone making a map to work for thunder hive is the only relation to it I can find on the forums: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/130550/ns2-th-pad
  • stibaerstibaer Join Date: 2013-07-25 Member: 186398Members
    Personally I hate any kind of mirror.
    NS2 always gives me a little feeling of Starcraft2. I would hate mirrorgames, but I would love to see a 3rd race or even more. I really loved Dawn of War because of the 9 different and well balanced races it had in the end.
    Starcraft or Dawn of War units + techs mixed with the NS2 playstyle would be most amazing!
    We already have terrans and zerg nin NS2. Add Protoss or Necrons as Dlc plz :)
  • Nexus5Nexus5 Join Date: 2013-07-27 Member: 186420Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    There's already a marine vs marine mod in development and from the testing gameplay I've seen, it is turning up nicely

http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=116645

Nothing on alien vs alien. But can you imagine a game where both teams go camo? Or Fades blinking around each other and then retreating when low health. Skulks leaping around trying to get one bite. And how would Gorge's work. The most difficult part would be making them distinctly noticeable for each side so unless you recolor them it will not turn out well. Besides a noticeable recolor would make aliens stand out when they are based around sneaking and such. It would be bad.

Aliens wouldn't need a re-colour, keep ideas simple and they work. They should just keep the system in place we have now for Alien vs Alien (which is an awesome idea). Where in Players on the same Team can see each other, even through walls. They can just gently highlight friendlies like they are when nearby but out of your direct view and keep the enemy Aliens normal colour and not highlighted. Simple.

• KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Great, now the devs can scale down the gfx card requirements for the game, since both sides will see the game in an ugly orange-and-green mode, so you don't need detailed textures, reflections, etc. Splendid news for owners of those old laptops.
  • Nexus5Nexus5 Join Date: 2013-07-27 Member: 186420Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    What are you on about, the system I am describing already exists in game and isn't ugly at all? Quite useful really and doesn't affect gameplay that much apart from knowing where your team mates are or an enemy.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    james888 wrote: »
    Imagine fade vs lerk

I'm more concerned about the Onos vs Babbler, I mean that big guy doesn't stand a chance fighting something that small. Elephants are scared of mice for a reason ya know!