Team Info HUD Mod (Updated 5th September)

ArtfunkelArtfunkel Join Date: 2013-05-10 Member: 185184Members
edited September 2013 in Modding
I'm looking for server operators to test out my new HUD mod (it has to be installed on the server to work properly). It looks like this:

I made the mod to help new players understand what's going on at a strategic level, but it's really useful for players of all calibres.

Team score calculation needs some testing as I'm not entirely sure what sort of results it will give. Anyone want to put it on their server? :)

Comments

• CataclyzmCataclyzm Join Date: 2005-01-06 Member: 33031Members
    I'd be interested to see this in action... as long as it doesn't take up too much space and/or is toggleable.
  • ArtfunkelArtfunkel Join Date: 2013-05-10 Member: 185184Members
    I've added a full screenshot to the Workshop page. Clients can't turn it off yet, but it will be easy to add a console command which does that.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I'm confused.  So as a marine this shows how many\what types of aliens you've killed?  And as alien it shows how many\what types of marines you've killed?

The bar on the top is a score calculation of team points being accrued?  Looks neat.
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    edited May 2013
    It looks really cool, but I'm not sure how useful a total team score meter would be, especially for new players. It implies that score is important. Also with such a central position in the UI I would expect it to be nothing less than a win condition if I played NS2 for the first time, if I could figure out what it represented.

It would be nice if a jetpack could somehow be squeezed in along with the weapon for those that have it, perhaps just below the usual icon. A welder icon might be too much.
    I'm confused.  So as a marine this shows how many\what types of aliens you've killed?  And as alien it shows how many\what types of marines you've killed?
    No, it shows the current status of the players on your own team.
    lwf said:
    It looks really cool, but I'm not sure how useful a total team score meter would be, especially for new players. It implies that score is important. Also with such a central position in the UI I would expect it to be nothing less than a win condition if I played NS2 for the first time, if I could figure out what it represented.
    Score is a proxy for how well your team is doing, and that is important. :)

You make a good point about it being interpreted as a win condition. I'll have a think about how to fix that.
    edited May 2013
    Update released:

- Added a label to the score bar (makes it much clearer that it's not a win condition)

- Added client console command "teaminfohud 0/1" to disable the new HUD elements

There are a bunch of subscribers now, but I've no idea which servers they run (if any). Has anyone seen the mod in use? Edit: discovered server tags and added one.
    lwf said:
    It would be nice if a jetpack could somehow be squeezed in along with the weapon for those that have it, perhaps just below the usual icon. A welder icon might be too much.
    A jetpack icon is already too much, sorry. It's not worth the extra visual load.
    edited May 2013
    I didn't mention it yesterday... but, I wonder if something more beneficial than score like number of rts controlled and/or tech points versus total (I know you wouldn't compare it to the opposing team since this is an unknown) would help newer players. Then statements like, "guys we need to maintain 3 res nodes right now," might be more meaningful.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    This is already in the default HUD.

Good idea on this HUD. But yeah, I am not sure if the "score" is really relevant, I would have to test this in a real game to see it.
    The number of RTs is already displayed, actually: it's the number of blobs under your personal resources. Not obvious, but there it is. Doing the same for tech points is an interesting idea, but having both TP and RT display would be confusing. RTs are much more fluid and are the better choice.
    edited May 2013
    Regnareb said:
    But yeah, I am not sure if the "score" is really relevant, I would have to test this in a real game to see it.
    I agree! I'm really keen to find a server running this mod.

Edit: there's one important detail about the score bar that I've not mentioned yet: it flashes when you score points. That might be trivial to us experienced players, but to new players it's a pat on the back and a visual reinforcement that they're contributing to their team's success (much like damage numbers reinforce the fact that you're harming the enemy team). Combine that with the score bar's more obvious function and I think it more than justifies its existence.
    Artfunkel said:
    The number of RTs is already displayed, actually: it's the number of blobs under your personal resources.
    Wow... learn something new everyday.

Carrots are a good thing. I like the idea of the flashing bar. Ultimately,this could mean the +X doesn't need to popup upon a kill.
  • RevyRevy Join Date: 2008-03-22 Member: 63928Members
    edited May 2013
    I just added this to our server "Onos Bar 32 Man server" but I am getting a few requests about adding a on/off switch for clients, if you could add that in it would be a great help.

Also some quick problems we have noticed, on some resolutions the Team Status bar is covering the armor of the exo's

other than that I am really really liking this mod well done

Revy.
    Awesome, thanks Revy. I joined and tried it out and it worked pretty well. There are three servers running the mod now, it's just a shame that the other two are in Korea and Australia...

I've released another update:

- Team scores now reset at the start of each round (whoops...)

- Added icons-only display mode, used for Exos to prevent armour overlap at low resolutions

- teaminfohud console command now has three states: 0 = nothing, 1 = icons only, 2 = everything

- Added a console message about the teaminfohud command

• firepowerfirepower Join Date: 2011-02-01 Member: 79839Members
    edited May 2013
    Would be good to show jet pack and welders, even if its color change for gun, blue just gun, green if have welder, orange if have jet pack, red if welder and jet pack. Allow you to easily see what to buy if team more of something.
    I'm still not convinced. Would you really decide against buying a JP just because lots of other players have one?
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    Ah yes, that would be my server. The mod is good! I have been asking the players on my server what their opinions are of it and they all like it. A few of them have asked how to turn it off, and that was going to be my only suggestion, to make it easier but with the console message you seem to be aware of that. :)

Cheers 

Awesome, Team Info HUD is the most popular NS2 mod!

I'm on holiday from tomorrow until June 3rd, so don't expect any more updates until then.
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    For me on my server, I don't think that toggling between the modes works properly. When you turn it off, its not possible to turn back on and you can't change it to icon mode from the normal mode.
    Have you updated to yesterday's version? Everything works fine on my end.
    edited May 2013
    Yeah I have, I don't know, I'll see how it plays out.

Edit: all works perfectly! Thanks for a good mod!
    I'm back and looking at adding some extra features. I've just published an update which improves icon layout on servers with increased player limits (works a treat on OnosBar).

My next goal is adding the new HUD to command view. I don't spend a lot of time commanding so any thoughts on the usefulness of these features would be great:
    • Fading icon colour to red to show player health
    • Click to select player, double-click to select and centre view
    • Mouseover info on player name, location, and traits/equipment
    • Right-click to give medpack or ammo
    • Sorting icons into ctrl-group boxes (not entirely sure about this)
    • Highlighting the icons of on-screen players
    • Any requests?
    Almost ready to go! :)

commandericons.jpg
    OK, the update is out! Changes are:

- Added Commander mode
    - Icon updates are now more responsive for on-screen players
    - Fixed phantom icons remaining for players who disconnected in the ready room
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    The one problem I see with this is it makes it more apparent to a player how much their team is losing which will make rage quit more likely to spiral out of control. There is already a problem of users quitting when they perceive that they can not win even in the normal game. Oh the other team has 2 more players I am out sort of thing.

What I do like is every player being able to see the number of rts so they can leave the com alone.
    While that's probably true, I don't think it's a good reason not to expose the information. It's not like you can't already form a judgement from the scoreboard and minimap.
    Updated to fix UWE disabling their own mod-loading code.
    edited September 2013
    I've started playing NS2 again and it seems that even though the mod has over 1000 subscribers, it's not actually in use on servers any more (pub or league). Does anyone know what happened?

I also just published this update:

- Display mode is now saved to client config
    - Remove the default hotgroup commander UI element (player buttons replace it)
    - Band-aid for client entity index going out of sync
  • MaxunitMaxunit Join Date: 2005-02-01 Member: 39414Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    This looks interesting. I will subscribe to it and check it out. Might add it to my server then as well.
  • Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    edited September 2013
    Does it work with combat?

I would like to see this there, think it would act as a good motivator for players to do well.
    I don't see why not. There might be some overlapping with the Combat UI though.

I'm aware that the icons overlap the chat box in Commander mode and trying to fix it.