That One Skulk Glitch

CD121CD121 Join Date: 2013-04-04 Member: 184635Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
I am not too sure how many people are aware of this: but while holding shift as a skulk, while silent when walking on walls or ceilings, no sound is created- BUT, while leaving a wall/ceiling and still holding shift, the skulk player hears nothing still as they land, however all those around can still hear the noise of a skulk going "thud" on the surface they landed on.

I am not sure of the intention of UWE in this matter, to either have the noise or not, but I think it would be best (if the case is the former) that the player themselves be able to hear the noise. If not, then please fix it [soon].

Not is it just an annoyance, but it can be especially harsh on rookies who would have no clue unless specifically informed.

If this is widely known and/or already being worked on, then I have no reservations about this thread being closed. 

Comments

• XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    Widely known in comp scene for months, rarely known in pubs, first video of it was late Jan/early Feb ish.
  • piratedavepiratedave Join Date: 2012-03-10 Member: 148561Members
    ive been accused of hacking because of this. I heard a single noise nearby ... then complete silence again, so i figured he may be camping on the ceiling, and i ended up killing him, he then said there was no possible way i could have heard him as he was shift walking. Anyways, nothing i said made any difference, he was convinced i was using a wall hack :/
  • tummy_yummytummy_yummy Join Date: 2013-05-01 Member: 185073Members, Reinforced - Gold, WC 2013 - Supporter
  • TinkerTinker Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14395Members
    This is definitely a biggy. It wouldn't even be a [b]big[/b] deal except the player making the noise can't hear it. That leads to the misunderstandings and frustrations that piratedave experienced.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I can hear it, when playing skulk. (5.1 sound system.)
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    _Necro_ said:
    I can't hear it (but friends on mumble tell me they can). Also 5.1 sound system.
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    I can't hear it on my computer (when another skulk is shift walking between ceiling/wall).  Then again, I don't really play with the sound that high in the first place.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    yeah it's a bit annoying not knowing you're making sound when you are. Also why are you lot using the inferior surround system, stereo with quality headphones and you can hear pins drop :P
  • statikgstatikg Join Date: 2012-09-19 Member: 159978Members
    _Necro_ said:
    Wow that's so lucky that your the only one in all of natural selection 2 that can hear it.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I was reading this and tried it last night and I hear it also. When I jump, I hear a thud, while pressing shift.
  • yuckfooyuckfoo Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168216Members
    Kouji_San said:
    yeah it's a bit annoying not knowing you're making sound when you are. Also why are you lot using the inferior surround system, stereo with quality headphones and you can hear pins drop :P
    http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/DJ/Headphones/HDJ-2000

I can hear through walls!
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    It's fixed in the new movement system in the balance test mod, which is more than likely being ported over to vanilla. (other movement oddities are fixed as well, like mountain goating)

Does that answer your question?
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    :( Mountain goating is cool.
  • TinkerTinker Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14395Members
    james888 said:
    I was reading this and tried it last night and I hear it also. When I jump, I hear a thud, while pressing shift.
    You aren't reporting the same issue here. It makes the sound without jumping when you change surfaces. It's a short click for the marine and complete silence for the skulk. I still do all right but it is a silly bug and I'm glad to see it's getting fixed.