Combat Mode Relaunch

Comments

• JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    Snipo wrote: »
    i don't get how you just remove an alien upgrade like that! bring it back just raise the timer for now, tweak it !
    worked a bit on it this morning, hopefully it makes it into the next version although its not as OP as it used to, it still has the same area range but reduced opacity and changed the colors a bit to not be TOTALLY blinding, still should work better if activated by multiple aliens at the same spot.

• ChareyCharey Join Date: 2004-08-07 Member: 30441Members
    I thing I would like was if there a way to re-spec at base without committing suicide, that or a way to re-spec while waiting to spawn. I under stand why re-specing in the field would be unfair (jetpack to the alien base then go EXO) but it seems pointless to have to go spawn, suicide, spawn before you can change your set-up.
    edited May 2013
    DarkSeraph wrote: »
    Okay, can we get some conformity - should all maps be just co_name or ns2_co_name? I'm happy to republish my maps as just co_name, but we should agree on a naming scheme to make this easier for servers.
    start it with co_ would be easier for everyone I think, hopefully the rest of the mappers would also change to that, I belive the reason it started with ns2_co a while back is because map names starting with co_ had problems with the game starting them if I remember correctly.
  • JimWestJimWest Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69865Members, Reinforced - Silver
    But when they start with co and not ns2, you can't find them in the create game menu anymore.
    edited May 2013
    JimWest wrote: »
    But when they start with co and not ns2, you can't find them in the create game menu anymore.
    ahh damn thats what it was, I though they had changed that by now, ok ns2_co it is for now :( I really hope they change this soon, we might shoot them a message and see if its easily doable. otherwise it will be weird having new combat mods and the map names starting with ns2_co_cp_name
  • WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    The changes are excellent.

With the Power nodes. I don't think Alien Spawns Power node should regenerate every 30 seconds after being built.
  • SolarisSolaris Join Date: 2003-05-11 Member: 16213Members
    just saw an older vlog for combat... the gravity boots are not in yet, are they? They sound like fun.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Like the changes for the most part.

Power nodes seem pointless cos they auto rebuild so quickly.

Can alien spawn be dark permanently?
  • WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I also think they shouldn't auto rebuild.
    Make them instant build when touched by a marine after the 20 second no build delay.

Currently I'm biting powernodes down till they only need one bite left to destroy, leaving them like a trap to spring when marines come into an area. It's so much fun baiting marines into the darkness.
  • DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
    edited May 2013
    I also think they shouldn't auto rebuild.
    Make them instant build when touched by a marine after the 20 second no build delay.
    Maybe not instant, but I like the idea of the build time being reduced after inactivity.

So, has the team been talking about how to balance fades? Mid-game is still seeming a little... rapey.
    So when I'm trying to plan for lighting a hive room, I can easily check how the red lighting looks, but I noticed a blackout period that lasts about 15 seconds - is this intentional?

The auto rebuild of the power nodes is a problem, especially in the hive room. I agree with @WorthyRival that power nodes having a reduced build time after cooldown is a solution.
  • JimWestJimWest Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69865Members, Reinforced - Silver
    Set the lights "ignore to power grid" and make them red, then you have your perma destroyed power node.
    JimWest said:
    Set the lights "ignore to power grid" and make them red, then you have your perma destroyed power node.

Well that would work, but in that case there is no point in including a power node in the hive room at all. I thought it was so marines can gain an advantage temporarily - is it intended to be a permanent advantage? I guess I could see that, but I know skulks will waste their time killing a power node that will come back 30 seconds later; you almost should make it invincible at that point.
  • DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
    edited May 2013
    Love the mod but hate the alien suicide ability; i just played a game where all this one skulk was doing was running in and exploding and killing us instantly over and over again.

Me and my team mates got so annoyed with it, we just left the server, lol
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't really like the EMP upgrade in combat, it seems like it makes it too easy to kill fades. Other than that I think the mode is a lot of fun.
    I don't really like the EMP upgrade in combat, it seems like it makes it too easy to kill fades. Other than that I think the mode is a lot of fun.
    Wow, I can't disagree more. Fades really need MORE of a check than they currently do. Right now it's easy for any fade to get a K:D > 1. Myself and most regulars can easily go 20-30 kills and only die at maybe 5 times, or less.
    Love the mod but hate the alien suicide ability; i just played a game where all this one skulk was doing was running in and exploding and killing us instantly over and over again.

Xeno is a great way to force marines to not group together so tightly, which is what you should have done instead of leaving the server like a bunch of spoil sports. In my opinion removing it would remove aliens ability to hold off large groups of marines and would be a massive mistake. They are also easy to 1 shot with a shotgun if you see them coming, and if you have armor you will always survive it at least once.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    edited May 2013

Wow, I can't disagree more. Fades really need MORE of a check than they currently do. Right now it's easy for any fade to get a K:D > 1. Myself and most regulars can easily go 20-30 kills and only die at maybe 5 times, or less.

Xeno is a great way to force marines to not group together so tightly, which is what you should have done instead of leaving the server like a bunch of spoil sports. In my opinion removing it would remove aliens ability to hold off large groups of marines and would be a massive mistake. They are also easy to 1 shot with a shotgun if you see them coming, and if you have armor you will always survive it at least once.
    Agreed! I love going xeno on tram. It's the only way (besides onos) to hold back the marines when they bunch up outside repair room spamming gls. 

The gl spam for aliens is more annoying than xeno is for rines. 

I wish the docking landing pad map would be changed. Alien spawn hive is way too open. 
  • FaustFaust Join Date: 2004-11-18 Member: 32852Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2013
    Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I encountered a bug where I failed to evolve and temporarily lost a couple spare points. The points reset properly upon respawn.

Details:
    I attempted to evolve to lerk, as I had a couple spare points. On evolve attempt, a skulk got in my way which cancelled the evolution. However, I did not get my 2 spare points refunded. I had to respawn in order to get a proper refund.

In most cases, spare point refunds on cancelled evolutions work. This was one rare scenario where it didn't. I was playing on ns2_veilcombat, if that helps. I was near the hive.
    edited May 2013
    We are about to start playing on Mr.P combat server along with Hugh ( NS2HD ) and he will record some footage for the trailer, if you are interested join us now server IP 62.65.106.53:27050

EDIT:

recording session is now done, thank you so much for everyone that joined us and helped out and as always a BIG thank you to Mr.P for always saving us by providing his really nice EU server!
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    Any update on the possibility of a res point capture mode that was suggested a little while back ?
  • SnipoSnipo Join Date: 2004-04-26 Member: 28234Members, Constellation
    could you guys please make it so when last stand mode is enabled it says in big letters no healing the hive or welding the cc etc?

i had a game with 4 gorges trying to heal the hive in last stand mode DOH!

Scatter said:
    Any update on the possibility of a res point capture mode that was suggested a little while back ?
    We talked about it and looked into it a bit, turnes out its harder to pull off than what I originally thought without breaking the existing stuff, so its postponed and will be included with the new code at some point along with other stuff we talked about like voting to start a round in MVM mode.

I know I keep saying it about many features but the reality is that we still only have 2 programmers and they can only do so much, so if there is anyone out there that want to help out post here or DM me.

Snipo said:
    could you guys please make it so when last stand mode is enabled it says in big letters no healing the hive or welding the cc etc?

i had a game with 4 gorges trying to heal the hive in last stand mode DOH!
    Already on it.
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    I dont know if its possible but a way to add a 5-10 sec delay to kill in console is needed, Today we had a player bind kill in console and constantly use it when he was near death, things like an onos running in hitting the chair until 50hp then killing himself or when he gets 1v1 with a fade and needs to reload he kills himself...  after 2 rounds, half the people left and 2-4 more people had bound kill in consol...  

Combat is balanced around getting RES for kills any abuse of this should be removed if possible...  
    maD_maX_ said:
    I dont know if its possible but a way to add a 5-10 sec delay to kill in console is needed, Today we had a player bind kill in console and constantly use it when he was near death, things like an onos running in hitting the chair until 50hp then killing himself or when he gets 1v1 with a fade and needs to reload he kills himself...  after 2 rounds, half the people left and 2-4 more people had bound kill in consol...  

Combat is balanced around getting RES for kills any abuse of this should be removed if possible...  
    That was actually in the last build we released but for some reason that I can't remember it didnt work, its on the "to fix" list and only a matter of time before its done.
  • IAMKINGIAMKING Join Date: 2012-09-14 Member: 159328Members
    Quick question: does celerity in this mod only affect out of combat speed, or does it also affect in combat speed? If the former, it should be changed to the latter
    Out of combat only and I will see if we gonna need to change it ( cause in that case it will give lower life forms a better fighting chance late game ), we should get access to a stats system soon and there are some changes I have in mind chief among them is the fade balance ( without tweaking any of its values ) right now aliens win most of the time if they have 2 fades that are owning everyone
  • IAMKINGIAMKING Join Date: 2012-09-14 Member: 159328Members
    marines are definitely way more powerful if they have anybody that knows what they're doing, considering both early and late game is incredibly marine favored.

• MCMLXXXIVMCMLXXXIV Join Date: 2010-04-14 Member: 71400Members
    Jibrail wrote: »
    maD_maX_ said:<br />
    I dont know if its possible but a way to add a 5-10 sec delay to kill in console is needed, Today we had a player bind kill in console and constantly use it when he was near death, things like an onos running in hitting the chair until 50hp then killing himself or when he gets 1v1 with a fade and needs to reload he kills himself...  after 2 rounds, half the people left and 2-4 more people had bound kill in consol...  <br />
    Combat is balanced around getting RES for kills any abuse of this should be removed if possible...  <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    That was actually in the last build we released but for some reason that I can't remember it didnt work, its on the "to fix" list and only a matter of time before its done.

Actually, I scratched my head over this one for a good couple of hours. It's harder than it sounds, mainly because we need to find a way to un-hook the regular NS2 function that does the killing straight away (even if I add a function with a delay, it gets nixed by this).
  • CuelCuel Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181295Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Will the hydra limit be implemented next patch ? It's still annoying when the game comes to a complete halt becuase half the alien team puts hydras in one spot
  • LatherLather Join Date: 2013-04-28 Member: 185036Members
    Get a grande launcher, problem solved.