Unchain the Wolves vs. hard.day Semifinals Match @ 9am PDT/6pm CEST!

RedDogRedDog Las Vegas Join Date: 2013-02-22 Member: 183267Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
Heey guys!

Starting in 35 minutes from this post on Twitch.tv/RedDogTV UTW vs. hard.day slugging it out in a semifinals match! Whoever wins this faces the winner of Quoth Gaming v. RadicaL in the finals!

See you there!

Comments

• RedDogRedDog Las Vegas Join Date: 2013-02-22 Member: 183267Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Enjoy folks!

Round 1:

Round 2:

Round 3:

• BrainmaggotBrainmaggot Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157535Members
    edited May 2013
    NS2 cost us that alien round.

Bad engine -> bad netcode cost my lerk at least 2 meters around a corner. Right after that another player spawns into a lerk egg dedicated to me. Game was over right there.

I'm tired of playing with 35 fps. I'm tired of playing against the game instead of against my opponent.

I'm quitting NS2 after this ENSL season and putting UtW to rest.
    Been thinking about this for quite some time now. About time to announce it.
    Thanks to all the cool clans out there in the community.
    Thanks to Reddog and Blind for casting. Sorry for a bad showing, should have been much closer games.
    We really messed up the first round. We didn't do the things we had talked about doing as marines on veil and paid the price.

All credit to Hard.day. They are a good clan. I wish you the best of luck in the future. I still remember the fun we had when we both were new clans, practicing and learning the game as newbies against eachother.
    <3
  • psicopsico Join Date: 2012-03-23 Member: 149266Members
    Sorry Brainmaggot but c'mon... Tres Lerk at the beginning such a important unit and risky tactic against a high skilled aming team and you DON'T heal after get really hurt and near the half health marked? In my opionin it was a really bad choice. The fight in Pipeline was painful to watch (^^) and then you don't fly back to heal and i was thinking ok, nice guy without cara and half health and no scouts at the front positions, to fly around the map. Getting to C12 to help the skulk was maybe ok to get down the rt a a little bit faster but i hadn't do that because of missing "scout" from topo and east junction and the HEALTH. It wasn't a engine fail at all i think. And the other thing... thats bad luck we have it often too :P

I like you and your team and for me hard.day is the better team. Better then us, too don't flame me for that ;) I don't hope that you will say gg after this. It's a game. No Money for winning its the fun for what we play.
  • BrainmaggotBrainmaggot Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157535Members
    We've pulled that build off against better aimers than them with no problem.
    The fight in pipe was np. It was only awesome timed meds that saved him that long. Would have died way earlier without it.
    The fight in c-12 was np as well. Didn't need a scout since I already saw and knew the marine was there, he came from the vent.

The caster didn't catch where and how I died so you're just going to have to take my word for how it happened. I died way, way past the wall. We all know this happens all the time in ns2. It is what it is. It's not well done.

I created a thread not long ago about the net code in ns2. I thought it was the interpt that caused the "dying around walls" but it was revealed to me by others that it wasn't that simple. In order to fix that you would have to increase the tick rate. Increasing that rate will put more load on the servers and ns2 is already way, way too demanding on server hardware. Just like the player's hardware.

I thought this game was a brilliant idea. I really, really wanted it to be good. The longer I played it the more I realized it wasn't good enough for competetive play. There is too much visual clutter. There is too much negative effects such as cyst rupture. There's way too little depth in the movement and so on. Most of all though. The engine is sadly, not good at all.

I think I understand how it happened.
    UWE had to release the game at some point in order to not run out of money and have the public loose interest in the game. This has happened to lots of other games so they just had to release it. At release the engine was way, way too demanding. After release they have to keep patching away bugs and keep adding new things to keep people interested and get new players interested. Again, to keep the money flowing because if they don't, they can't continue developing the game. The engine is still way too demanding and it's still not good at all.

Here's the really unfortunate part. A game needs to be good when the hype for the game is strong. NS2 has been out for a bunch of months now and it's still too demanding on computers for it to draw players in. Games such as LoL, Dota and the likes are all very welcoming to come into, even for people in countries where they don't have as much money as we in for example Sweden and Germany. NS2 isn't. FPS players have high demands on the game just working well and working smooth. NS2 doesn't. You need a super high quality (read super ultra expensive) rig to even run the game decently. You will STILL get fps drops! Even if UWE would fix the engine in the coming months, I really doubt ns2 would draw in enough players for it to have a great competetive scene. It will continue to shrink. If they did improve the engine a lot it could be as big as ns1, which was really small. Who ever heard about ns1 tournaments? Who ever saw some money in ns1 tournaments? It was in essence an underground game.

Why wouldn't I play a game if it's underground and doesn't really have any money invovled even if it's really good you might ask?
    Because other games who also don't have a big following are much better and have much greater depth.
    I'm going to go back to Quake Live because it's just a better FPS game. In all categories.

I came here to play FPS but it's been one long struggle against the game. I'm a competetive guy and the fun I get out of games is derived from competing against other people. The last couple of months the fun has been sucked out of NS2 for me because I keep fighting against the game and not against my opponent. I've got a good eye for positioning and how fights turn out and I can keep check of how many fights I loose because of my bad FPS. It's too many. I had fun developing my clan, working on tactics and strategies and playing with my mates but it just doesn't cut it anymore. I can't keep up with people who have better computers in the long run no matter how good my aim and positioning is.

---

I'm noticing that some people take this as me blaming the game for our loss versus Hard.day. This isn't what I'm saying.
    I'm blaming the game when it comes to the reason why I'm quitting NS2.

Hard.day played better than us and won their alien rounds convincingly.

• TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited May 2013

A characteristic feature of NS2 combat is that you have to predict what's going to happen and act accordingly instead of just reacting to what's happening on the screen. I've never blamed netcode for choosing a bad fight.

I agree that the engine has flaws, but even if you had escaped narrowly with a better netcode, it would have still been a mistake on your part for taking such a risk. I agree that playing with a low fps (which is a much greater problem than the netcode that can be adjusted to) is frustrating, but blaming the game is still a cowardly move. The game is poorly optimised, but a rig that can run it with a smooth 60+ fps isn't really all that expensive. My rig, for example, cost 1300 euros in 2011, and it has a lot of overkill components so I could have reduced it to around 1000-1100 euros without compromising performance, and I can run NS2 at a comfortable 100+ fps early game and 60-70+ fps mid- to late game. I'd wager that the components relevant for performance in my build would cost somewhere around 400-500 euros today.

• ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    Quake Live...haha... good one......