Hey devs!

ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
What's cooking in the works? We're (me only probably) excited to hear what's coming up next

Comments

• ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm assuming that next is the gradual inclusion of features from the balance mod. Would be nice to hear some more detailed plans about that since the devs rarely mention it. The next big content update is still a few months out.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2013
    Its been a two weeks since April's state of the game. WE CANT HANDLE THE PRESSURE!
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester

james888 said:
    Its been a two weeks since April's state of the game. WE CANT HANDLE THE PRESSURE!
    WE NEED TO HEAR SOMETHING (twitches)
  • FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
    ggguyyssssss im sshhivering, i need uppppdatess!
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Well Max posted this on his twitter feed 2 days ago. Go ahead and speculate madly:

Info:
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The Fourth Onos broke the Fourth Wall?
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    edited May 2013
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2013
    Comprox said:
    Well Max posted this on his twitter feed 2 days ago. Go ahead and speculate madly:
    Info:
    Tessellation? Ns2 on linux? 100% performance increase?! Onos gets its own version of babblers that are just mini oni??!?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2013
    Yes finally, 75% more blue!
  • littleevilwolflittleevilwolf Join Date: 2013-01-17 Member: 180231Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    50% larger head on onos i approve!
  • ma$$a$$terma$$a$$ter Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165651Members
    50% larger head on onos i approve!
    I would have also accepted 50% more head...
  • RadmanRadman Join Date: 2013-04-05 Member: 184656Members
    What does OpenGL support mean for the average player?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Radman said:
    Microsoft monopoly on Natural Selection 2 go bye bye ;)
  • rmbrown09rmbrown09 Join Date: 2012-10-17 Member: 162592Members
    Radman said:
    Linux and or Mac capabilities in the future. You know with Steam for Linux really now just taking off, if NS2 was one of the first major titles onto that platform it would probably really help. 
    rmbrown09 said:
    Radman said:
    Linux and or Mac capabilities in the future. You know with Steam for Linux really now just taking off, if NS2 was one of the first major titles onto that platform it would probably really help. 
    Left for dead and counterstrike I feel are pretty big titles. I don't know for sure but I bet a lot of linux lovers will get ns2 just because it supports linux. Those sales might pay for all the work making it compatible.
  • CD121CD121 Join Date: 2013-04-04 Member: 184635Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    A word every now and then is never a bad thing, and I think the guys at UWE know that.

With that said-

WE NEED UPDATES! Juicy updates...

P.S. Hugh seems to have fallen off NS2HD since the state of the game for April. (Kidnapping afoot!?)
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    Radman said:
    I think Valve said it was faster than D3D in Left 4 Dead when they tried the same thing.
    edited May 2013
    Desther said:
    Radman said:
    I think Valve said it was faster than D3D in Left 4 Dead when they tried the same thing.

More frames but more input lag is what they said somewhere

D3D was communicating with hardware quicker
  • 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
    ezekel said:

After some brief Googling on the matter I found the only place directly stating that D3D has less input lag then openGL was on these forums by you in another thread.

Everywhere else it was because many openGL games had triple vsync turned on by default. Seemed a very logical explanation given what we know about triple vsync.

I only looked as far as page two of my google searches though, so maybe I'm wrong. That said you should probably cite the article you base your opinion on before you post that again, after all it comes up on page one of google searches.
  • 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
    ezekel said:
    Desther said:
    Radman said:

After some brief googling it seems that the only places where people directly stated that openGL has more input lag then DirectInput is on these forums. I didn't search too hard but I did look at page two of my searches and that's saying something!

It seems most of the problems people had in other places were resolved by turning triple vsync buffer off, which is apparently on by default in many openGL games for some strange reason. So I think it's safe to say that's a pretty logical answer to that. I could be wrong, but it seemed a very legitimate answer given what we know about triple buffer v-sync.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I'd agree.. The valve blog regarding porting L4D to opengl never mentioned such a thing. (i read it again recently)
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ahem.  This is what Hugh said in his "happenings in the office" video that he uploaded to Youtube.

-Andi is working on balance.
    -Steve is working on bots that might not make it into the game.
    -Max/Dushan working on OpenGL, DirectX 11 which might go in, in the future.

0ni said:
    ezekel said:
    Desther said:
    Radman said:

After some brief googling it seems that the only places where people directly stated that openGL has more input lag then DirectInput is on these forums. I didn't search too hard but I did look at page two of my searches and that's saying something!

It seems most of the problems people had in other places were resolved by turning triple vsync buffer off, which is apparently on by default in many openGL games for some strange reason. So I think it's safe to say that's a pretty logical answer to that. I could be wrong, but it seemed a very legitimate answer given what we know about triple buffer v-sync.
    Idk where I read it from, but i'm not imagining that I read it somewhere; someone stated that directx just communicates with your inputs quicker
    edited May 2013
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2013
    james888 said:
    That did not seem conclusive what so ever?

" I'm using OpenGL 1.2.
    I'm using nvidia 9600m with nvidia 185 drivers on linux."

An old version of opengl (we're at 4.3 now) , old nvidia drivers on a laptop card, and really this thread seems to highlight the many ways to circumvent the latency the OP was describing? 

Here's Valve's blog on the matter:

An excerpt: 

"why does an OpenGL version of our game run faster than Direct3D on Windows 7? It appears that it’s not related to multitasking overhead. We have been doing some fairly close analysis and it comes down to a few additional microseconds overhead per batch in Direct3D which does not affect OpenGL on Windows. Now that we know the hardware is capable of more performance, we will go back and figure out how to mitigate this effect under Direct3D."

IronHorse said:
    james888 said:
    That did not seem conclusive what so ever?

" I'm using OpenGL 1.2.
    I'm using nvidia 9600m with nvidia 185 drivers on linux."

An old version of opengl (we're at 4.3 now) , old nvidia drivers on a laptop card, and really this thread seems to highlight the many ways to circumvent the latency the OP was describing? 

Here's Valve's blog on the matter:

An excerpt: 

"why does an OpenGL version of our game run faster than Direct3D on Windows 7? It appears that it’s not related to multitasking overhead. We have been doing some fairly close analysis and it comes down to a few additional microseconds overhead per batch in Direct3D which does not affect OpenGL on Windows. Now that we know the hardware is capable of more performance, we will go back and figure out how to mitigate this effect under Direct3D."
    I should of been more specific. I meant it was the only thing I could find.
    Ah. That makes more sense then, :-P
  • CamronCamron Join Date: 2011-01-06 Member: 76356Members
    Syknik said:
    Ahem.  This is what Hugh said in his "happenings in the office" video that he uploaded to Youtube.

-Andi is working on balance.
    -Steve is working on bots that might not make it into the game.
    -Max/Dushan working on OpenGL, DirectX 11 which might go in, in the future.

Dushan has also been working on merging open source contributions into Decoda.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Bots would be awesome, especially for mods. Even if the AI isn't great, you guys should release a basic functioning framework for it and encourage modders to iterate.