Spotted some bad hitreg in a archaea vs coolclan match (build 239)(is it fixed?)

FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
edited May 2013 in NS2 General Discussion

9:22 is the first one, 13:50 the second one - you can clearly see that he hit and blood splat all over the screen but no damage, no kill.
If this is fixed, you can delete or lock this thread, but I've seen people complain about it and I have myself experienced this, alot of times like what happened @ 13:50

p.s. gliss, why u no upload ur crosshairz? Are they too awesome for steam workshop? :/

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2013
    Edit :never mind.

Really wish people made demos using the game, since it doesn't hurt performance, then record what's on screen (or send the demo) later when you play it back with dxtory or fraps etc.

Squinting at a compressed youtube video, unable to discern if that's his teammates' shot @ 9:22 considering the side of the fade from which the blood originates (the marine model smoothing hadn't yet made the turn possibly) makes it difficult to say for sure..

The second one is explainable I think : the delay of damage numbers might not have made it in time before he died, depending on latency of both players etc.

Thanks for the video though!
    Keep em coming.
    (try the record command before joining a game in the console to make a demo)
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    edited May 2013
    Right after the 13:50 Fade, he hits a skulk and gets no damage numbers, just before he dies.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    9:22 is hard to tell. 13:50 is easier to see, but I'm guessing the damage numbers may have floated off screen, or just did not render at the time of death. 
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2013
    I really hate the client side predicted stuff (Blood, pain sound, pain twitch animation and crosshair hit icon), the only thing that is reliable is the numeric damage indicator and frame by frame analysis (30FPS from YouTube doesn't help as some information is lost)... And what I can tell by examining frame by frame is this:

9:22
    • Shot 1 Fade, the frame he shoots is a complete miss. But as soon as he shot his shotty, he aims down and the engine draws the blood somehow
    • Shot 2 Fade, the crosshair is next to (behind/trailing) the fade and due to the shotty's spread pattern some pellets must have hit. Engine draws blood, yet no numeric damage indicator...

13:50 the shot on the Skulk could've been not all pellets hitting the target as the Skulk was hit on the narrow part of his body. But that doesn't explain why there is no numeric damage indicator...

To quote good ol' Heavy weapon guy: "So much Blood, heh!"
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited May 2013
    By and large, many of these problems have been fixed...for well-performing servers. There really isn't enough info to tell, but if I had to guess I'd suspect that server in the video was either having performance issues or had some lua errors. 
    Desther said:
    Right after the 13:50 Fade, he hits a skulk and gets no damage numbers, just before he dies.
    That's just a ping issue (UWE can't make electrons go faster than the speed of light). What happens is that there is just enough of a lag from gliss's 200 ping that he can get off a shot after when he should, in the view of the other player and server, be dead. This happens to me quite regularly when I play on Australian servers.
  • Marshall_DrumminMarshall_Drummin Join Date: 2012-12-04 Member: 174115Members
    I made a twitch channel and a stream to show videos of what hit reg is like.  Sadly my internet isn't fast enough to get resolution clear enough to watch, and I've tweaked the settings a lot.  And I would use demo recordings, but I don't think UWE is going to put fast forward into demos in the near future.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2013
    I made a twitch channel and a stream to show videos of what hit reg is like.  Sadly my internet isn't fast enough to get resolution clear enough to watch, and I've tweaked the settings a lot.  And I would use demo recordings, but I don't think UWE is going to put fast forward into demos in the near future.
    You could do a local recording to the HDD using your streaming application and slap it on YouTube :)

Or use a proper local recorder for higher quality from this thread, still all of it would be limited to 30FPS like all other vids... SparkTV demo recorder, do want :P
  • StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    First shot was probably a teammate hit.
    Second shot on the skulk probably didn't register because he died before the server got his "shoot" message.
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    edited May 2013

Conclusion:  Inconclusive.

The first example, you can't tell if that his is teammates shots or not.

The second example, is lag compensation.  The server registered him dying before he could get that shot off.

Nice try though.

• PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    I notice that bad hitreg too but i think it's a problem with the clientside.
    Manytimes as gorge you see your spit hit e.g. a fence, but you shoot through, weird stuff going on.
    The bad hitreg is back...i spectated people who shoot behind a skulk and hit him.
    What i really don't understand is, if people with a higher ping (over 100), can hit you everytime, like if their bullets can fly around walls/corners...this engine and it's hitreg is very weird.
    I hope the UWE Team fix it some day, because there was a old build with excelent hitreg.
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited May 2013
    9:22 could be either one, I remember I was puzzled about that one myself and I slowed it down in vegas but it was inconclusive /shrug

13:50 was indeed lag compensation 

hitreg issues still happen though, had it on LAN as well.  always with wallwalking Skulks, haven't seen it for anything else in a while

I change my crosshairs pretty much constantly and the Steam Workshop doesn't even seem like it ever works anymore so I just don't bother.  Replacing files manually is so much easier.  I try to upload stuff here whenever I remember to though:

the demo system is useless for issues like these

1) your view angle isn't accurately represented, it will show you staring at a wall and shooting out of your side for example 
    2) no one wants to go through the effort to leave a server, record a demo, and rejoin the server every round in order to make demos a reasonable length, because there's no fast forward feature.  if we don't do this then you can be staring at demos that can go across multiple maps
    3) replay speed changes based on the viewer's FPS in relation to the recorder's

grainy youtube videos are the best anyone is ever going to get until there's a proper demo system because you can't record this game in high quality and play it comfortably.  local recordings or streams, it doesn't really matter.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    1) should be rare that this happens
    2) yes it's a pain reproducing anything.. But someone has got to do it.
    3) that's toggleable using the space bar
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    IronHorse said:
    Unless something has changed during the last couple of patches, that doesn't work.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    IronHorse said:

Can confirm that spacebar does nothing, and that the fps it was recorded at/played back at, affect the playback speed greatly. Easiest way to show that, try record a demo with fraps or something, the demo will slow down noticeably.