What is your favorite map and why?

Comments

• RobotixRobotix Join Date: 2013-02-20 Member: 183222Members
    I don't understand why so many people have Summit as their favorite or 2nd favorite map and yet have Descent on the bottom of the list. The maps are nearly identical other than Descent being larger so people should have those two maps pretty close together. :-?
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Im also gona go for refinery or descent.
    Im a sucker for nice looking maps and I do not think balance is that bad either.
  • SanCoSanCo Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155744Members
    Robotix wrote: »
    I don't understand why so many people have Summit as their favorite or 2nd favorite map and yet have Descent on the bottom of the list. The maps are nearly identical other than Descent being larger so people should have those two maps pretty close together. :-?

Because of all the fucking clutter (retarded alien vision + glass (FIX!!!)) and pillars. Pastafari. Ruins the map for me. Die Pillars, "Prid refid", "disable". I hate them as marine and I hate them as alien. Also, too much lights everywhere, thank pastafari this game doesn't have glare or it would look like BF3 singleplayer.
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited April 2013
    SanCo wrote: »
    Robotix wrote: »

Because of all the fucking clutter (retarded alien vision + glass (FIX!!!)) and pillars. Pastafari. Ruins the map for me. Die Pillars, "Prid refid", "disable". I hate them as marine and I hate them as alien. Also, too much lights everywhere, thank pastafari this game doesn't have glare or it would look like BF3 singleplayer.

What did I just read?

On topic:

Tram: Balanced yet not completely symmetrical, do like.
    Summit
    Veil
    Descent
    Docking
    Mineshaft
    Refinery

Those last two can still be really fun with the right pub group however.
  • Ness_FrogKingNess_FrogKing Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162628Members
    Summit and Tram, because they're pretty well balanced (though I hate Warehouse/Server spawns). Descent, because it's so pretty (haven't played much on it yet though, so can't comment on balance). Veil, because it's different and more tense (except Pipe spawn, that can die in a fire).
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    edited April 2013
    descent vents are bad, hard to lerk through, hard to move through quickly. cluttered hallways and long distances as marines. too big in general... the only thing i like about descent is the ready room secret room. also energy transfer is absurdly exposed.
  • DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
    edited May 2013
    Is there no poll functionality on this site?

I would love to see the results of a poll, i guess i'll just have to go through each post and work out the totals of each map mentioned.

My top 5 are:

Docking
    Tram
    Summit
    Mineshaft
    Descent

Edit: Summing up the votes so far:

Most loved maps:

1) Summit
    2) Tram
    3) Docking
    4) Descent

Loved & Hated:

1) Veil

Most hated:

1) Refinery
    2) Mineshaft

I'm surprised at Mineshaft as that's quite fun in my opinion, fighting over the central section to secure the 2 resource points is epic, not so much in Veil though as aliens just Hydra the hell out of Nano.

• delta78delta78 Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178131Members
    My first NS2 game was on docking and I've loved the map ever since. I like its esthetics and map design. I had many epic games on that map, which left me with super cool feelings, when I think of it.

Next probably is mineshaft. It has a very dark mood and sets itself apart from the other maps with its dirty and ugly machinery and shadowy tunnels. I had epic games there too.

The rest of the maps are on the same level, though summit is little down and descend ( though its cool map, I had only unimpressive games so far from it ) is little lower than summit.

Overall, I like every map and I truly appreciate the creativity and the hard work that went on making them. And I eagerly await what interesting new changes the map creators will bring, when updating their maps.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Rockdown and Junction!
  • Apreche2Apreche2 Join Date: 2012-08-06 Member: 154849Members
    ns_hera

It's just so big, and there are so many places to go and explore, even if you've played it a bunch. 
    I can't find 'Junction' and 'Hera' on the Steam workshop, are these NS2 maps?
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Robotix said:

A broad design of four tech points around a central one with one res node between each doesn't guarantee similar maps (even without taking into account that Descent deviates from this layout quite a lot). Descent and Summit play entirely differently.

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2013
    I can't find 'Junction' and 'Hera' on the Steam workshop, are these NS2 maps?
    Alpha/Beta maps which worked during the time when the game was lacking on content (Sieges/Onos/EXO/Jetpacks/Cyst and probably more), right now they'd have serious siege and cover issues <-- Mostly Rockdown, Junction was a 3 techpoint map for testing purposes ;)

And Hera is a NS map that is being remade, not on workshop yet...
    I see :)

I really want to play more maps and host more maps on my server but all the custom ones for normal game play appear to all be in the Alpha / Beta stage :(
  • nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
    nsl_summit
    nsl_tram
    nsl_veil
    ns2_jambi
    nsl_descent

rest i don't care about & hate playing crappy thought out and crappy executed biased maps. (mineshaft is okish if marine cant spawn in repair if aliens spawn in cave)

• HypergripHypergrip Suspect Germany Join Date: 2002-11-23 Member: 9689Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor

My list (pub, 18slots, healthy mix of veteran and casual players) is:

1.) Tram. I like to size, the general looks, and the overall "flow". I have fun on it both as Alien and Marine.

2.) Docking and Summit. I like the general layout of both. The size feels just fine for 9v9 fights although I like the "intensity" of the more compact Tram a bit better. I adore the clean art style of docking. Balance seems to be fine on both maps.

3.) Descent and Veil. I love the art style of Descent and the huge amount of detail that went into it. When playing it however it feels a bit "cramped" in a lot of places and the focus on hydro analysis makes pub play here quite repetitive. Pretty much the same goes for Veil. Love the visuals and the fixed Marine spawn can be refreshing, but the focus on Nanogrid in combination with the "weak" eastern side of the map (Pipeline) for Aliens are not that great. Veil does get some nostalgia bonus.

4.) I do not think Refinery and Mineshaft are bad maps, I just don't enjoy to play them that much. For Mineshaft the art style is a factor. Not that it doesn't have it's beautiful spots (Cave Hive for example), but most of the map is (to exaggerate) just lots of rocks with rusty metal sticking out here and there. I think it just doesn't convey "This is the future! In Space!" as much as other maps. I can't really pinpoint why I don't like Refinery that much. I should love it, the art is nice and the locations (Lave Falls, Smelting) are original. Maybe it's because I got lost in the corridors around Pipeworks too often, or it's the "hey look, it's even more rusty metal everywhere" thing that I don't like about mineshaft. Also for some reason I can't remember a single "epic" round on Refinery.

• RobotixRobotix Join Date: 2013-02-20 Member: 183222Members
    edited May 2013
    DarkflameQ wrote: »
    I'm surprised at Mineshaft as that's quite fun in my opinion, fighting over the central section to secure the 2 resource points is epic, not so much in Veil though as aliens just Hydra the hell out of Nano.

Mineshaft has always been heavily Marine-favored which is why people tend to dislike it.
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    I like Summit. Feels the most balanced and there are not as many areas which give me poor performance.
  • Rellik_ptRellik_pt Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181205Members
    Caged :P and docking the best ones, the rest is ok

• Mc_IntireMc_Intire Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182745Members
    There is no map I dislike, so long as the teams don't completely suck I can get a fun game out of all of them (which is why I'm wondering why sometimes summit seems to be voted in every other round, come on people, give me some variety!).

As for especially liking... dunno, I guess I'd say Descent, because it oddly looks like you're walking around the Sprawl station again (I always expect Stross or Ellie to jump around a corner lol).
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Of the community made maps, I really like Triad, Caged, and Jambi. 
  • yuckfooyuckfoo Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168216Members

Of the community made maps, I really like Triad, Caged, and Jambi. 
    I have yet to try these, they look very interesting
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Check them out on Next Level Gaming servers. They have custom maps in their rotation. 
  • yuckfooyuckfoo Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168216Members
    Check them out on Next Level Gaming servers. They have custom maps in their rotation. 
    Nice, I will for sure!
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff

Kouji_San said:
    Rockdown and Junction!
    Oh damn i miss those days.
    I hope they remake both. thems were the most fun maps in ns2 EVAR.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    1) Veil. I <3 the fact that it's only 4 tech points, and a central double res location
    2) Summit. It's probably the most balanced out of all the maps, with no starting location being significantly worse than any of the others
    3) Tram. Couldn't tell you specifics for this map, but I've started to like it a lot lately. Especially if marines start shipping.
    4) Jambi. Haven't played it since the new changes, but I've always liked that it was just a little different than all the others.
    5) Docking. It's pretty, and the new east wing/departures area is fun to fight in.
    6) Descent. Map is much better than it was at release, but suffers from lots of zones that don't see any action and fabrication/monorail are both worse than getting pipeline on veil, imo.
    7) Refinery
    8) Mineshaft
  • KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    descent - I love the amount of detail that has been put into the map.
  • casan0vaxcasan0vax Cloverfield, USA Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166663Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    1. Docking: fun colors!
    2. Summit: fun gameplay!

The rest are pretty equal to me, so I'll put them all tied at #3.
    100. Mineshaft: ew.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Summit

It was the first and the most often map to have really well-balanced matchups.

Rockdown for nostalgia purposes (flamesabering the central tech node through the wall was quite fun if hilariously broken).
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    1) Mineshaft.
    2) Everything else.

Aesthetics.