Debugspeed Command

DeadonstickDeadonstick Join Date: 2013-04-17 Member: 184877Members
As most of you will know, a few patches ago a debugspeed command was added into the game so people can objectively measure their speed. Personally I was thrilled at the idea of looking at how fast I was going as different life forms while attacking and using its data for continuous self-improvement. Now here's the problem, can anyone explain to me why this command is only usable when cheats are on? Surely having data about yourself can't be considered a cheat?

Personally I'd like to see this command availible for all players constantly, like the "fps" command. Can anyone explain to me why this is a bad idea and why it is considered a cheat in the first place?

Comments

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Actually, debugspeed has been in the game for quite a while (since the early beta). I think making it cheat protected is more of an oversight than feature (but I'm not completely sure). Someone could probably mod in a much better looking version of it.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Very much agree with the op. And a better looking version if it would be cool, but first things first, let's see it in the game without having to run a local server with cheats on!
    I can't see how it could give an unfair advantage, and it would be very useful for self-improvement.
  • extolloextollo Ping Blip Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72457Members
    at one time it gave an indication that could aid jump timing, but i don't know if that is the case now.
  • DeadonstickDeadonstick Join Date: 2013-04-17 Member: 184877Members
    extollo said:
    at one time it gave an indication that could aid jump timing, but i don't know if that is the case now.
    That can hardly be considered a cheat now can it? Maybe a slight advantage, but then again, we're talking about something you can see anyway. Speed is a visual thing, but when you give it a number suddenly it gives an advantage, I doubt that.
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    Added stripped down "debugspeed" command to BNS2 ("b_speed") that works without cheats enabled.

Works on these servers once they've updated (type "b" in the console, if it says "build 246, release 0" it's running the latest version).