Newbie Server?

Patrik3Patrik3 Join Date: 2013-05-01 Member: 185074Members
Hi,

I only bought the game a few days ago, and although I have watched a couple of the tutorial videos and read some of the guides, I still feel lost when I try playing in an actual game.

I'm also pretty new to multiplayer gaming in general - I've only just bought a gaming laptop last week, and previously I was using my dad's PC, which was too slow to play 'current' games on. I'm not great at FPS's - I've only played a couple. My favourite franchise of FPS is probably UT - and I can only beat "Adept" level bots on that. However, I'm hoping that if I play more FPS's I'll soon become a lot better at them!

I've not really used voice chat much, either - especially not on multiplayer. In fact, the only multiplayer games I've played have been RPG's/Diablo II or RTS's such as Age of Mythology, against friends. I used to be ranked about #5 in the world for the multiplayer of the 3rd person shooter "Ratchet & Clank 3" but since there were only about 50 people ever active, this wasn't a big achievement...

Since getting my gaming laptop, I've played a little TF2 with skype chat, but this has of course been with a friend, and even then, it felt awkward. I'm a little daunted by the prospect of talking to a bunch of strangers (but I'm 21yo so I'll get used to it!).

Anyway, back to the question - I've watched/read tutorials and I've played around a bit on explore mode, but I'd learn best by actually playing some matches. So, are there any servers where some more experienced players wouldn't mind helping me out with the basics and answering my dumb questions?

Also, if anyone could tell me how to set up a voice chat/ use the in-game voice chat? And, should I get a headset or would the inbuilt mic/speakers on my laptop be good enough?

Cheers,

Patrik

Comments

• SpoogeSpooge Thunderbolt missile in your cheerios Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 67Members
    First off, welcome! Next, you'll get plenty of advice here so don't hesitate to ask.

I don't currently have a headset with mic so I use speakers for audio and stick one of my iphone earbuds in one ear to chat. A bit ghetto, I know, but it works well enough. I seriously doubt the mic on your laptop will be effective. Seems like it would pick up ambient noise. Probably best to get a headset/mic if you're ready for the investment.

The NS2 ingame voice key is your left ALT key. Just hold it down, say what you need to say, and release. Feel free to do a mic check to make sure everyone can hear you. Don't be afraid to let everyone know right away that you're new and are open to any suggestions. Let them know you want to help but aren't sure what's needed.

Finding helpful teammates can be difficult sometimes. But once in a while, or maybe even often, you'll get a good group of players who will communicate constantly about what they're doing, what action they're seeing in a location, or when they need help. Voice communication really is critical in this game to have a good time. You don't even have to great at FPS to be useful as long as you communicate and focus on teamwork.

Lastly, please don't get too discouraged if some member of your team tries to run you down for a low kill/death ratio or for attacking the wrong structure in an assault, or whatever. There are plenty of whiners out there who think they know everything about how to win and just can't seem to make everybody else do as their told. You will experience this. Just keep playing and listening and learn from mistakes.

good luck, have fun.
  • GrayWGrayW UK Join Date: 2009-12-18 Member: 69701Members
    Hey, welcome to the community!

Where are you located? If you are EU the Exodus Squad server is Newbie Friendly :)
  • TinkerTinker Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14395Members
    For this game you'll definitely want a half decent headset. The mic is important but being able to hear which direction your opponent is coming from is super important also. I'd recommend letting people know you're new and asking lots of questions. You'll quickly find who the fun people to play with are and most people in this game understand it's got a 2 week learning curve before you're really on your feet and will be happy to help.

If you run on NA servers add me on steam (TinkerSix), and I'd be happy to show you the ropes.
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    I was recently very new to NS2 (started late march this year) If you check out any of the GamingDeluxe servers (green writing for rookie server of course) any of the players on those will be very happy to help you out with any questions/tip and tricks etc.
    If you want you can add me on steam (Kasharicdaims) and I'll share what I've learned so far.

Welcome to the community, I'm sure like myself, you'll be hooked in no time :)
  • Patrik3Patrik3 Join Date: 2013-05-01 Member: 185074Members
    edited May 2013
    Thanks a load for the replies!

I haven't actually played much more NS2 this week - I found a couple IRL friends of mine that are at Uni atm, that play TF2, so I've been playing on there a bit..!

I might possibly buy a headset, but I'll probably think about it for a couple more days. In the meantime, my dad says I can use his mic when he's not using it, or I'll just risk using my laptop's mic.

[quote="GrayW"]Where are you located? If you are EU the Exodus Squad server is Newbie Friendly :)[/quote] (EDIT: Oops... how do I quote??)

Yeah, I'm UK - how do I join 'Squads'/groups?