Marine tech tree interactive infograph

ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
edited October 2012 in Artwork Forum
I'm not sure where this belongs. Its not really art per se, but it doesn't fit the modding category either, so I guess here is the most apt place.

Someone recently requested a marine tech tree infograph to help new players understand commanding better, so I thought I would give it a try.
<a href="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6250985/techtree/index.html" target="_blank">http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6250985/techtree/index.html</a>

There are still a few things I would like to add, and a few bugs knocking around, but the overall structure is pretty much complete.

Things I would like to add/change
<ul><li> Replace place holder icons with proper ones. Currently some are missing from the sprite sheet I'm using, so I will either wait until they are added or use a different sprite sheet.</li><li> Fix up and complete the algorithm connecting tech tree nodes with lines. Certain orientations aren't implemented yet like the Arms Lab to upgrade's path.</li><li> Maybe change the tree's overall layout to make it more clear and intuitive. It was surprisingly complicated getting a layout as clear as it is now, but I'm open to suggestions and improvements.</li><li> Add a better preloader, at the moment it is quite sloppy and just displays everything as it loads up.</li><li> Add a lockout period on button presses. Activating and deactivating nodes too quickly breaks the tree display as well as the resource counter at the moment.</li><li> Add a res counter that increases depending on the number of resource towers you have "built".</li></ul>

Oh, and get a nice background image of course.

Comments

• That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
  • ZeikkoZeikko Join Date: 2007-12-16 Member: 63179Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    Good stuff!

There's a bug that causes an icon to disappear if you double click it.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Not bad, but it's wrong :P

You start off with an IP, and you need to build an armory before you can get an obs. It's nice, but charging for the IP, and having the tech tree path being incorrect isn't the most helpful thing ever.

Also, as you said yourself, this is for new players, so it should probably go in the new player forum...

I like what you've done, just correct it and you'll be off and running, a great idea :)
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1998121:date=Oct 27 2012, 01:38 AM:name=Soul_Rider)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Soul_Rider @ Oct 27 2012, 01:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1998121"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not bad, but it's wrong :P

You start off with an IP, and you need to build an armory before you can get an obs. It's nice, but charging for the IP, and having the tech tree path being incorrect isn't the most helpful thing ever.

Also, as you said yourself, this is for new players, so it should probably go in the new player forum...

I like what you've done, just correct it and you'll be off and running, a great idea :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ye, I "finished" the layout and placements aboouut 3 or 4 hours before the patch that changed the whole tech tree was released. Pretty annoying. It actually also makes the tech tree a lot more cramped, so it may take a while before I find a layout I like.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Holy ######, someone add this to explore mode! Add this to the game now!
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    It's actually proving extremely difficulty to get any half decent layout out of the current tech tree. This may take a while. In the mean time, rapidly clicking tree nodes no longer breaks anything.
  • anigmhaanigmha Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia Join Date: 2013-02-09 Member: 182939Members
    Hey, Imbalanxd. This is really, really awesome.

Bookmarked!
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    Is there any chance for a source code? we wish to add it to our site (www.naturalselection2.pl) to manual section...