Question about "face" creation

eliotmateliotmat Join Date: 2002-12-01 Member: 10350Members, Reinforced - Shadow
So I've spent quite a few hours with Spark at this point.

However, I'm still confused by "face" creation.

The guide included in Launchpad has this to say about faces: "Left-click and drag to create an edge. Connecting multiple edges in a loop creates a face."

However, in practice this doesn't work unless I'm drawing a face on the same plane as the initial surface I initially created.

Am I missing something?

For example, if I have a clean slate and draw my first rectangle, it will fill in with a face. If I draw a rectangle connected to that initial rectangle, it will fill in with a face. Next, I extrude to create a room. Great. Whatever. Now when I attempt to draw another rectangle not connected to the initial plane, it does not fill in with a face.

Can someone advise me on this?

Comments

• QwiXXeRQwiXXeR Join Date: 2004-11-05 Member: 32640Members
  • DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
    Advice: the editor hates you and doesn't want to make faces for you. The bad news is it hates me too :(

Even without the 246 bug face creation is a pain IMO. Normally you should be able to trace the top line and it will fill in a face. In 246 this crashes, so I've just been erasing the top-line and recreating it. You can't do this when the top line is already part of a face, so what do you do? Triangle in faces, like I showed you in the quick tutorial vid we shot.

To work around 246 crash just keep saving and trying a line to fill in the triangle - I've found it doesn't crash 100% of the time, just 80%. Sometimes none of the lines in the open remianing triangle left wont let you fill in (like it did during that tool tutorial), and you have to re-triangle in a different way. This should be unnecessary as of 247.

If someone has a better way I'd love to know, because I'm really sick of triangling in faces.
  • eliotmateliotmat Join Date: 2002-12-01 Member: 10350Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I remember triangling-in faces, and it is a good band-aid solution. For some reason I still end up with a small section that refuses to fill in.

What I've resorted to is just ctr+d on a face then moving that into position where a face won't draw. It snaps right in. This is still just another band-aid.

I wish it worked as intended.