Do the developers read the ideas and suggestions forum?

IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
They probably did at some point in the past, but these days (well, months, possibly year) I see no indication that developers even look in the ideas and suggestions board. It seems if you want your idea to be seen by the developers you have to post in general discussion, which is missing the whole point of an ideas and suggestions forum.

I ask this because I've had a thread going in ideas and suggestions for almost 2 months now and there's been zero indication that a developer has seen my idea, not in any tweets(although I don't check twitter actively), news posts, patches or direct replies to the thread.

Yet I see plenty of developers posting in general discussion. I haven't seen a single dev post in the I&S board for a very long time.

I normally wouldn't care, but I really would like some feedback on my idea as I think it would significantly help NS2 development. Not to see any indication that any ideas are being read or considered is quite disheartening.

Comments

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Just because UWE doesn't post in a thread doesn't mean they haven't read/considered it. They wouldn't have time to actually develop the game if they responded to every thread.

I presume this is the thread you're talking about? Its a good idea, but not something I'd expect anytime soon from UWE even if they approved it. Frankly, this is probably something better to bring to someone like the ns2stats, DAK, or Shine devs.
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    Good idea, horrible execution, sound familiar?

Whatever I&S you have just add a "what do you guys think" and post to GD, gets a lot more attention and some good discussion normally comes out.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    None of those answers address my concerns in any way.
  • project_demonproject_demon Join Date: 2003-07-12 Member: 18103Members
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    Just because UWE doesn't post in a thread doesn't mean they haven't read/considered it. They wouldn't have time to actually develop the game if they responded to every thread.

I presume this is the thread you're talking about? Its a good idea, but not something I'd expect anytime soon from UWE even if they approved it. Frankly, this is probably something better to bring to someone like the ns2stats, DAK, or Shine devs.

Please don't be so naive, if they never reply there it's because they're not looking (or not least rarely do), let's not sugarcoat this. This is normal as it's the case with most games after they get released, even AAA ones. The suggestions forum turns into a filter that weeds out topics saying "you should do this/that".
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    ScardyBob wrote: »

Please don't be so naive, if they never reply there it's because they're not looking (or not least rarely do), let's not sugarcoat this. This is normal as it's the case with most games after they get released, even AAA ones. The suggestions forum turns into a filter that weeds out topics saying "you should do this/that".
    You right that they probably don't peruse the I&S forum on a regular basis, but that doesn't mean they don't ever read them or the ideas don't reach UWE. Its like the Technical Support forum in which its mostly just community members helping/discussing with one another, but occasionally UWE devs jump in. If there is a really good suggestion or an important tech support problem, its brought to the attention of UWE.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Yeaaaah, suggestion forum is kinda useless. I mean, if there's a good suggestion it'll come up on the general forum anyway. Maybe the suggestion forums is more about just talking about all sorts of not-so-realistic suggestions...

But it's not like you've gotta worry about who reads it. If there's a good idea the devs will know about it one way or the other, because, well, good ideas do that.
  • CyberKunCyberKun Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2013
    I have firsthand knowledge that the devs listen to community feedback in the general forums at least, as thread in my signature is proof.

While it would be nice if they did reply on Ideas and Suggestions, all the stuff they want to hear gets talked about so much in general discussion anyways.
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    God I hope not, some of the shit written here is fucking atrocious.

Too many cooks in the kitchen ruin the broth :)
    Oh dear, this is not encouraging.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited May 2013
    @soccerguy243, I don't get it. The last post was 5 months ago. That's just making the situation seem worse.
  • FrizzlecatFrizzlecat Join Date: 2013-03-07 Member: 183752Members
    edited May 2013
    In my opinion, if I was creating something, I would want to use all my ideas first, then use other peoples'. I would want to, at first, try to create perfection off my own back, not with help from other people, as a sort of psychological trek up Mount Everest, without oxygen tanks or Sherpas, so I could say that I did it all on my own, but then, if I decided that wasn't ever going to happen, I'd start reaching out for assistance, accepting personal defeat, but still achieving something monumental.

I think UWE are still full of their own ideas and perhaps don't want to be moved by the crowd in case they're subconsciously influenced, losing their focus, and end up creating something which is a bit of a botch.

I'm sure the time will come when they will listen, if they're aren't already.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    @ironsoul it shows their tracking tools... they don't ahve to post in that thread to say they read it.  It shows they have tools in take input, suggestions, feedback, etc and track it.
    @soccerguy243, that statement is very confusing. What is this 'it' you are talking about. and what is this 'input, suggestions, feedback, etc and track it' business?