Idea: Good Game, Bad Game vote button.

2»

Comments

• Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Really the only things you'd need to decide are what options to put on, you can weight the data however you like once it's collected.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    eliotmat wrote: »
    This is a good concept. User feedback is extremely important.

Maybe if they click good game or bad game it leads to feedback tree. This would all be optional, of course. If they don't access the feedback system within some arbitrary number of seconds, the feedback system disappears.

Here's a sample of what one branch of the feedback tree might look like:
    *game ends*

"Good game
    or
    Bad game?"

*user selects "bad game"*
    *new question replaces initial question*

"Why was the game bad?
    a. lost game
    b. technical problems
    c. joined late
    d. other"

*user selects "d. other" *
    *form replaces previous question*

"Please describe your bad game experience

Obviously a certain set of people post on the forums, and its clear that UWE values this feedback. However, what about the players that play for the first time and decide never to play again? Wouldn't it be nice to know why?

I think having it displayed at the end of every round with 'other' having a mandatory form would be a bit much- not only in terms of data storage limitations but also in terms of how intrusive the gg/bb menu is. I think having it as an optional thing at any time of the round, once the player has been in game say, 5 minutes or something. It would be a good idea as long as players were made aware of it - say as a rookie tool tip.
    Also you want to avoid the phenomena of people just clicking anything (potentially 'good' or 'bad' even if there is a cancel option) to get it off their screen as fast as possible, to reduce the noise floor of fake or troll votes in the data.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I was thinking of it being a hold x, vote bad game, vote good game option, that would make it visible, but not intrusive.
    There's not really much more to discuss about this idea, we just need to get the devs to put it in the game.

Also bump.
    Good luck with that, I'm relatively sure the ideas and suggestions board is mostly there just so the developers don't have to read it.
    Maybe if we all PM all the devs they'll look at it?
    Possibly, but even then, devs generally don't actually listen to any ideas proposed on ideas and suggestions boards.

Literally the only reason I've ever been able to come up with for their existence is to keep people quiet.
    nudge, I'll just keep getting this thread to the top until a dev looks at it and responds. This really is a meta suggestion than a direct influence to the game but I feel it's incredibly important and the backend is already in place with their stat tracking.
  • FrankerZFrankerZ Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151627Members
    the losing team would be just as biased to vote bg as the winning is to vote gg imo. Which means that when someone votes gg when you lose and someone vote bg when they win, its probably close to true.
    We should get a bump train going, where we simply reply bump in this thread to keep it at the top until the developers see it.
    I'm just going to keep bumping until the thread gets locked or I(we?) get a response.
  • RadmanRadman Join Date: 2013-04-05 Member: 184656Members
    edited April 2013
    In dota 2, there are times where i win a game and vote 1-2 stars. I dont like stomps, i dont like games that are decided before i start playing, I dont like games that dont take effort.

On the opposite end, there could be a really close game, or a game where my team is really close to coming back, but we still lose. Those games usually get 4-5 stars.

Yes, people like to win more than they like to lose. But if your game is fun when a player is losing, then youre doing a fantastic job as a developer. If its not fun when a player is winning, then you really have some problems to sort out.
  • MontypMontyp Join Date: 2013-04-22 Member: 184930Members
    IMO I think that this would be inviting alot more Trolls into the community, I've had great games where I got rolled. It was fun because my commander was a good spirit about it. This would be inviting negativity and detract from the game.

As far as telling the developers if you like their game or not, you'vee done that twice so far. First by purchasing their game and secondly by being an active member of their community.

These features already exist, if you want to make suggestions you comment on the forums same way as if you want to talk to a creator about their mod you post in the Steam Workshop.

While these options exist, I find they're incredibly slow and incredibly clunky. Trolls are a fact of the internet, nothing we do will seriously change how that happens. Take piracy for example, Spore was (at the time) using the most powerful DRM solution available, it was also the most pirated game...

And another thing, I find the forums are way too slow to be significantly useful, take this thread for example... it's been going for two months, still no word from the developers as to what they think of the idea.
  • PaniohitusPaniohitus Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168790Members
    edited April 2013
    @Ironsoul, the idea is nice, but think that there are other things to do first. I also work in a software-development company and we get hundreds of very nice idea's to add to the product that make it better. But we look always to the need for it. If you are realistic, adding this feature would like be a 'nice to have' thing, but it's not a 'must have'. I'm sure there are plenty of those 'must-haves' before adding these things. I hope you get my point.
    I respectfully disagree. Natural selection 2 is a game that is officially released. It is post version 1.0, all features are in, it is mostly bug free and performs pretty decently.

Being able to tell how enjoyable the game is currently is an invaluable piece of information that will heavily influence future game decisions.

Sponitor is already in place to grab statistics about game round times, win rates and a bunch of other things.

Voting systems already exist in the game too.

Not only is this idea a must have, it is also mostly implemented already; the back end is in place.
  • PaniohitusPaniohitus Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168790Members
    Oke, the question is then, why do you want this so badly? You can also track your own 'good' and 'bad' games to write it down after each game. If this is a tool for the developers, then they will make it if they want to. If not... Well, then they don't miss this feedback from players i think.
    I want it as a tool for the developers so they can get a clearer insight into how good Natural Selection 2 Currently is. I'm basing the notion of "Good" on how enjoyable Natural Selection 2 is round by round. And finally, I'm basing enjoyability of a round by "do I regret playing that round?".

I want it so badly because games are supposed to be enjoyable, and there currently is no significant way of telling how enjoyable NS2 is for the majority of the players.

Also: "If this is a tool for the developers, then they will make it if they want to."

I would rather hear from UWE as to whether they want this feature as it's not really something that will directly impact the players.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Urgh, people that think trolls would be a problem clearly dont realise that you can look at players who consistently vote "bad game" or simply just compare results to the background rates of "bad game" votes and pretty much discount any noise that causes.
    I recently started playing a bit of LoL and I really like the way you can give other players props after the match for being helpful, friendly, good teamwork etc.
    A system like this in NS2 would be awesome and frankly, I think it would be a better way to filter matches based on player 'skill' than a simple KDR filter. It would mean aimbotters dont benefit from silly KDRs, and also promote the REAL values that make a good NS2 player.
    edited April 2013
    nice idea meatmachine. I don't really have too much to say about it, it's way better than any arbitrary ranking system and rewards people for being an asset rather than an ass.
    edited April 2013
    vroom oh it's not working... time to try another tactice.
  • FrizzlecatFrizzlecat Join Date: 2013-03-07 Member: 183752Members
    Even games where you lose can be great fun (rare, though), so I'm sure I would if I could hit a few buttons in my adrenaline-fueled state stating "This game was great!". I'm sure (hope) UWE have all sorts of metrics they can measure about a match, and could certainly gather some useful information from such a device. It would require resources, however, which UWE probably would like to spend elsewhere. It's a nice idea, though, I like it.

I mean, it wouldn't be too hard coming up with a pop-up interface, like pressing X, is it? to bring up that Vote Concede and other options. You could have a few options, like "This was a great match" or "This was not at all enjoyable" or "Was pretty boring" etc. The hard part is putting the votes together with the hard, analytical data and trying to figure out how to put it all together to create improvements, if improvements are indeed needed.
    Wish they would hurry up and do it. The game is getting less enjoyable each patch (don't you dare say anything about performance people, performance was never my motivating factor for starting this thread).