Anyone running NS2 servers on a Xeon 1240V2?

deathmongerdeathmonger Join Date: 2012-07-06 Member: 153953Members
We're looking at switching to a company that offers a dedicated Xeon 1240V2 for about the same price we're currently paying for a VDS. The plan is to run three 18 man servers (one of which will be private) as well as a TS3 server and a web server. Do you think the 1240V2 would be up to the task?

Comments

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    IIRC, many of the official servers were/are running on comparable Xeon CPUs. I'd guess that specific CPU would comfortably handle something like 14-16 and 16-18 if you weren't worried about some performance issues.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    How much is that going to cost you? It might be cheaper to get by the slot solutions from someone like multiplay(Does official servers for ns2 globally).
  • deathmongerdeathmonger Join Date: 2012-07-06 Member: 153953Members
    It would be $114 a month. We need a TS3 server and our website hosted as well though, so I highly doubt any company can beat that price. I was going to colocate a server, but we want a server in Seattle and I live in Vegas sooo...
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    It would be $114 a month. We need a TS3 server and our website hosted as well though, so I highly doubt any company can beat that price. I was going to colocate a server, but we want a server in Seattle and I live in Vegas sooo...
    You can colocate a server in an area in which you don't live. Both us (Team 156) and many of the ns2servers.com are done this way. The biggest issue is if something goes wrong, which means you either need to pay the colo place to fix it or pay to have it shipped back to you. However, as long as you make the system is fully setup and rock-solid stable (e.g. test is in every conceivable way possible) before you ship it, you shouldn't have a problem.
    Ah, I didn't know you could do that. How much is it to ship a 2U rack generally?
  • BluefangServersBluefangServers Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164763Members
    edited May 2013
    Hi there,

Just wanted to chime in and say that we are running E3-1230v2 and E3-1240v2 Xeon machines for all of our NS2 processes. Our listed price for 18 slots is $31.50/month so you could get all three for a discounted price by bundle discounts if you purchase them on the same day. You can throw in a TS3 server, for example, 75 slots is only $20/mo and we can provide you with some free web hosting as part of the bundled package.

All in all you are probably looking at about $104/mo with us. We have 8 years of game server hosting experience and our lead engineer has 15 years of datacenter experience under his belt. In business for over a year now, we strive for 24/7 customer support via live chat, email, TS3 & steam messages.

You can email us directly at http://www.bluefangsolutions.com/contact-us or check out our NS2 pricing & features at http://www.bluefangsolutions.com/shop/natural-selection-2/

Thanks
    That does sound like a good deal, especially since you're pretty much able to meet the price we were looking at...but you don't have a Seattle location unfortunately.

We have the server up and running, but haven't stress tessed it all yet. I've played on servers hosted by BlueFang though, so I am sure it will perform well.