Should the Pistol be changed?

13»

Comments

• ThebigsnakeThebigsnake Join Date: 2013-05-01 Member: 185078Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    For now, i'm just hating the pistol because some players use a speedfire script. So unfair to play.
    I suppose i have to wait again a long time before recover some pleasure to play Alien...
  • TiesTorNTiesTorN Join Date: 2012-11-16 Member: 171952Members
    I'd like to see a researchable another pistol, like shotgun. But this pistol should be low ROF and high damage like magnum. And it should be cheap, like 5 res :)
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Pistol should be changed. It's trivially exploitable now, and works like an insta-kill weapon, which is not WAD.
  • The_Irrelevant_OneThe_Irrelevant_One Join Date: 2005-06-13 Member: 53816Members
    edited May 2013
    I actually really like the pistol the way it is but ever since Unreal Tournament I've wanted every game to have alternate firing modes for every weapon. As far as people using scripts for rapid-fire, a delay between shots could just be added as people have mentioned but I like having the pistol primarily semi-auto, i.e. one click, one shot.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I just want to say that, given the number of times i have been accused of using a pistol fire script (which i do not), i think that a lot of people assume that their killers were using a script when they in fact weren't. It's of course very difficult to prove such an assertion, but if people used the pistol more effectively themselves, they might begin to accept some of those deaths that, in the face of it, seem unfair.

That might mean the pistol is op of course, but that's another matter!
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Pistol should have a maximum fire rate, since real life pistols have it too - it produces kickback that throws your aim off, and it takes time to correct it.

The way pistol works now, it's basically a super-accurate shotgun.
  • SherlockSherlock Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168595Members
    Add slight recoil. Increase the damage. Slow the fire rate. Reduce the clip size.

Hello futuristic Magnum revolver.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Kamamura wrote: »
    Pistol should have a maximum fire rate, since real life pistols have it too - it produces kickback that throws your aim off, and it takes time to correct it.

The way pistol works now, it's basically a super-accurate shotgun.

There is a maximum fire rate for the pistol, it's 100ms/shot as stated before. And real life handguns can shoot pretty damn fast you know, with the right equipment and training.

How about that? :p
  • Samus1111111Samus1111111 Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154930Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Neoken wrote: »

There is a maximum fire rate for the pistol, it's 100ms/shot as stated before. And real life handguns can shoot pretty damn fast you know, with the right equipment and training.

You do know that 12 shots in 3 seconds does not equal 10 shots in 1 second? 12 shots in 3 seconds equals 4 shots in 1 second (discounting reload time). That's less than half the speed that the current pistol can (theoretically) be shot at. Personally, I'm kinda questioning if the 100ms/shot is actually working or accurate since scripters seem to be able to unload their mag in much less than 1 second.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited May 2013

You do know that 12 shots in 3 seconds does not equal 10 shots in 1 second? 12 shots in 3 seconds equals 4 shots in 1 second (discounting reload time). That's less than half the speed that the current pistol can (theoretically) be shot at. Personally, I'm kinda questioning if the 100ms/shot is actually working or accurate since scripters seem to be able to unload their mag in much less than 1 second.

I know not to take the reload time into the equation. Anyway, you're sidestepping the argument. I was only pointing out that it is far from impossible to fast fire a handgun accurately. The guy in the video fires 6 rounds in less than a second, while keeping a steady aim. So the whole "in real life it wouldn't be possible" argument doesn't hold up as well as one might think.

If the fire rate is actually bugged, allowing scripters to fire off their rounds faster than intended, than obviously that's a different matter, and would need fixing. But making the pistol into an auto-fire weapon or nerfing the fire rate badly only lowers the skill requirement, while making it less fun to use. I like the idea of a slow firing heavy damage revolver though, but only as a sidegrade to the current pistol, and not as a direct replacement.

LMG+revolver and shotgun+pistol would seem like two nice complementary loadouts.
  • bEEbbEEb Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149317Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Shaker wrote: »
    You guys thinking you're spotting pistol scripts in spectator mode - you are most likely usually wrong. Sounds play double in first person spectator making it sound a lot faster.

Remember the old alternate fire mode pistol? Most good players always used that as it was a much higher pay off (and no one was scripting). Turn the pistol into the old alt fire mode permanently. Get rewarded for well timed shots instead of spamming your 10 bullets through the crack to hope to catch that fleeing lerk.

+1
  • GrissiGrissi Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    You guys thinking you're spotting pistol scripts in spectator mode - you are most likely usually wrong. Sounds play double in first person spectator making it sound a lot faster.

Remember the old alternate fire mode pistol? Most good players always used that as it was a much higher pay off (and no one was scripting). Turn the pistol into the old alt fire mode permanently. Get rewarded for well timed shots instead of spamming your 10 bullets through the crack to hope to catch that fleeing lerk.

The alt fire mode was not used by good players. Even though the overall damage output was higher on the alt fire mode it simple had less dps. In games like ns2 you always want to be able to do as much burst damage as possible.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Laser pistol countered onos :D.

As for real feedback, the pistol rof cap does NOT work.. Why does this need to be repeated hundreds of times and still cannot even be acknowledged... Even in the code it clearly states its not used yet, why do people think its actually working????

If you tested a .1 rof for the pistol you would instantly know that its not capped anywhere near that atm. With a script you can fire all 10 shots in less than 300ms, i highly doubt anyone can click anywhere near that fast (30+/sec).
  • ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Fix the timing and add alt mode back in. Win/win! pls
  • Kro55f1r3Kro55f1r3 Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184674Members
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    Half the fire rate and double the damage. We already have one full auto weapon (the assault rifle) we don't need a defacto second one.
    It's a pistol ! not a sniper !

I have no problems with what is shown on the video, I think many people are able to shoot that fast without scripts. The problem is that people are MUCH faster with scripts in the game, just check the youtube videos. It sounds and behaves like a high ROF submachine gun, which it definitely should not.

The 100 ms ROF cap obviously does not work.

• ezayezay Join Date: 2013-03-11 Member: 183899Members
    edited May 2013
    That's pretty slow compared to the average mouse clicking (and f awesome compared to how I shoot handguns irl :D). Just

I know not to take the reload time into the equation. Anyway, you're sidestepping the argument. I was only pointing out that it is far from impossible to fast fire a handgun accurately. The guy in the video fires 6 rounds in less than a second, while keeping a steady aim. So the whole "in real life it wouldn't be possible" argument doesn't hold up as well as one might think.

If the fire rate is actually bugged, allowing scripters to fire off their rounds faster than intended, than obviously that's a different matter, and would need fixing. But making the pistol into an auto-fire weapon or nerfing the fire rate badly only lowers the skill requirement, while making it less fun to use. I like the idea of a slow firing heavy damage revolver though, but only as a sidegrade to the current pistol, and not as a direct replacement.

LMG+revolver and shotgun+pistol would seem like two nice complementary loadouts.

Well, you're comparing the best shooter in the world and probably of all time and the average Joe the Marine from the future. Usain Bolt can run 100 meters under 10 seconds, should the marines move that fast ? Of course not. And I'll add that guy shooting 12 shots in 3 seconds is standing, imagine if he had to straff jump while being chomped by a skulk what his ratio would be. :p

Yeah, no. I'm looking at the small numbers on the pistol, indicating how many bullets left in the clip. When they go 10 -> 0 without showing any other number, trust me that you can trust that.
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Has this conversation really bogged down to a debate of realism? Get a grip guys, we don't want NS2 to be realistic.
    ezay wrote: »
    Yeah, no. I'm looking at the small numbers on the pistol, indicating how many bullets left in the clip. When they go 10 -> 0 without showing any other number, trust me that you can trust that.

If anything, that is the least trustworthy factor of all. You can see marines continuing to fire an LMG at 0 bullets all the time while first person spectating.

edited May 2013
    @ezay

Well, only people with enough skill/experience will be able to fire really really fast, on target, in difficult situations. That's true for real life and in NS2. I don't get pistol fragged that often by average marine players, that's for sure.

Anyway, if it's a problem with the fire rate cap not working as it should, just fix that. You don't have to reinvent the pistol.
  • ezayezay Join Date: 2013-03-11 Member: 183899Members
    edited May 2013
    Therius wrote: »
    Has this conversation really bogged down to a debate of realism? Get a grip guys, we don't want NS2 to be realistic.
    ezay wrote: »

If anything, that is the least trustworthy factor of all. You can see marines continuing to fire an LMG at 0 bullets all the time while first person spectating.

Alright, visual is untrustworthy, so is sound, so is bullet displayor. I think we get it.
  • PreddiePreddie Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8367Members
    Pistol is fine, why change it? Changing the pistol in NS is like changing the Hive in a tree or something.
  • Kro55f1r3Kro55f1r3 Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184674Members
    Just change the rate of fire , some players exploit a glitch (attribue 2 keys for the firing and click with 2 fingers rapidly). The pistol can shoot all his 10 balls in 1 sec. 25*10=250 dmg (little type) that's enough to 1shot a skulk without the time to react. It's too much excessive