General appeal to everybody concerned about state of the game.

SpideySenseSpideySense Join Date: 2013-04-30 Member: 185055Members
So today I was playing on some europe located server and it was quite good as everyday but then I encountered this guy. Around 300 ping!! KD ratio 20/1. I was a skulk and I was the only one that killed him once but he killed me very very very fast I couldn't even blink. So... where I'm going with this.

I have been playing lots of games there was even a time when i did it competitively. I've got over 300 hours in ns2 and thousands more in other games like cs 1.6, cs source( and even 15 hours of cs:go :p) over 200 in battlefield 3, etc etc.

I mean, I'm not a rookie I know my stuff and I am not a guy who calls out bs every other day, damn I almost always stay quiet but that one guy was It. I love ns2 and i would like it to stay that way. Whole community approach just gives me some thoughts. I did not find a good thread for it so I am starting one:

- How hard is it to implement votekick function? I mean come on. I know that new cheaters will come but why do gamers must suffer if there is no admin on server?
- How hard is it to acknowledge that in fact there are cheaters in NS2? Video proof? Youtube or just play the game.
- How hard is it to implement server browser with tabs, history, and better functionality like on source engine( im talking about cs source or hl deathmatch, or even W:enemy territory. this is not even funny how bad are todays server browsers)? You know the window when ping could be typed and scroll bar wasn't over reactive and everything was running on pentium 4?

Ignore If you want your community to become premium bf3 or l4d2 type.

Thank you for your time.

Comments

• BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    I have suggested improvements for the "find servers" thing before.

It would be great to know the time elapsed of the round. 1 min in? Cool. 25 mins in? Not interested.

"BUT I LOVE JOINING GAMES 25 MINS IN". Implementing something like the above helps you out then, doesn't it? Either way it makes it easier for me.

And let me blacklist a server. Some admins are atrocious and some servers have six hundred and fourteen reserve slots that I get autokicked from.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    How could you not find a thread about cheaters?

Anyway, just make a thread in the ideas&suggestions forum. Suggest votekick commands and better server browser functionality. I'm with you on the latter.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    *cough* ns2bans.com *cough*
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    There there scardy, want some medicine?
  • hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    Yeah, the devs' reluctance (???) to implement some fairly standard features is a bit funny.

@Neoken
    Didn't work the first 100 times someone tried :p
  • UruktosUruktos Join Date: 2012-10-12 Member: 162139Members
    Honestly votekick function should have been implemented by now. NS2 by design depends on teamwork, games that depend on teamwork can be damaged by individuals very easily. While votekick can also be used for damaging purposes, the benefit far outweighs its negatives.

Server browser is, adequate. It's not great, but it's not bad either.
  • FrustrationFrustration Join Date: 2013-01-19 Member: 180628Members
    Cheaters at least cheat.If someone is stomping you it is far worse.Frankly anyone, who destroys your fun in this game deserves to die in a ditch somewhere.
  • SolidSpiderSolidSpider Join Date: 2013-04-14 Member: 184805Members
    @Frustration Are you implying skill is worst than hacking?
  • bongofishbongofish Join Date: 2003-08-17 Member: 19893Members
    Locklear wrote: »

Most gamers want to be pampered these days. I wouldn't be surprised.

Curious how old you are, making a statement like that. I hear people say this all the time and they rarely seem old enough to make such a judgement.
  • FrustrationFrustration Join Date: 2013-01-19 Member: 180628Members

I´m flat out saying it.You can ban cheaters or just avoid them.They have a clear advantage over you.Absolutely no reason to get angry over something you have minimal control over.

Skill however comes with time (or with a better computer in this game).You literally have to be better than someone and have the right circumstances to beat him and if that somebody has beaten you in every possible way numerous times without effort IT IS worse.If you enjoy getting raped, then good for you, you are either lucky or well...lucky in making decisions, that unknowingly don´t get you killed and that you think are your skill.

In order to be good at this game, where it actually matters(basically aiming as anything else is just tactics and planning ahead), you have to be an inhuman tracking mofo, who plays this every single day.

(just to be clear, I do enjoy this game, but only when I don´t get punished for not being perfect each time I have to kill someone)
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow

I´m flat out saying it.You can ban cheaters or just avoid them.They have a clear advantage over you.Absolutely no reason to get angry over something you have minimal control over.

Skill however comes with time (or with a better computer in this game).You literally have to be better than someone and have the right circumstances to beat him and if that somebody has beaten you in every possible way numerous times without effort IT IS worse.If you enjoy getting raped, then good for you, you are either lucky or well...lucky in making decisions, that unknowingly don´t get you killed and that you think are your skill.

In order to be good at this game, where it actually matters(basically aiming as anything else is just tactics and planning ahead), you have to be an inhuman tracking mofo, who plays this every single day.

(just to be clear, I do enjoy this game, but only when I don´t get punished for not being perfect each time I have to kill someone)

You wouldn't have done well back in the Quake 3 days
  • statikgstatikg Join Date: 2012-09-19 Member: 159978Members
    Shaker wrote: »

This is the silliest thing I have ever read on these forums.

Lets not go too far, have you met strofix and a couple of other guys who post hilarity all the time.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    bongofish wrote: »

Curious how old you are, making a statement like that. I hear people say this all the time and they rarely seem old enough to make such a judgement.

A person's age, race, or profession isn't enough to dismiss what they have to say. You could say instead: "XYZ is an example of an old, popular game that was easy and pampered to the masses."
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow

You can flat out say it, but you're flat out wrong. It's understandable, and I would argue sensible, to get angry that people think they have a right to cheat. Getting angry that someone is more skilled and/or more experienced than you just sounds defeatist and childish to me...
  • bongofishbongofish Join Date: 2003-08-17 Member: 19893Members
    Squishpoke wrote: »
    bongofish wrote: »

A person's age, race, or profession isn't enough to dismiss what they have to say. You could say instead: "XYZ is an example of an old, popular game that was easy and pampered to the masses."

Who is dismissing anything?

I was just curious at what age people start referring to "these days." I mean was he saying games in the 90's were harder? The 80's? The 70's? I've heard this sentiment a lot and usually by people that are youngish, just wanted to confirm.
  • CataclyzmCataclyzm Join Date: 2005-01-06 Member: 33031Members
    Games were definitely harder in the 70s... I didn't have opposable thumbs then.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited May 2013

Well a free manipedi at the spa would be nice....
    Problem?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2013
    *excited gasp*
    Is it "Treat yo self" day already @scardybob ??
    :-D
  • FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
    Cheaters at least cheat.If someone is stomping you it is far worse.Frankly anyone, who destroys your fun in this game deserves to die in a ditch somewhere.
    woah, so you're telling that everyone who is better than you deserves to die... Well....
  • yuckfooyuckfoo Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168216Members
    This is the silliest thing I have ever read on these forums.
    I think his username pretty much says it all. He is Frustrated. Going onos with jet pack shotgunning 3/3 marines doesnt kill like it does in the first 10 mins.
  • SpideySenseSpideySense Join Date: 2013-04-30 Member: 185055Members
    I did find some cheaters threads but the conversation is lacking and there is no direction. Yes, you can ban players and report them to ns2bans.com, I am aware of it but it wont change that cheater could be for hours stealing the fun. Admins arent 24/24 on servers. Maybe I am a little bit overreacting, but again I really love this game so I wanted to bring my 2 cents.

As I have said when I walk into someone better I don't mind getting shot, I have said about my history in gaming because I am aware of really professional players, but I can see when one is really cheating. Also most of the time I am on the top of the scoreboards(if i care to play competitively). I have purposely registered with my game nickname to add a little bit of credibility.

...I cant really do nothing more than write here and hope that someone will come to his (spidey) senses and make tools that made most popular games ever most popular.

Cheers and please don't fight about silly things. :)
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    I did find some cheaters threads but the conversation is lacking and there is no direction. Yes, you can ban players and report them to ns2bans.com, I am aware of it but it wont change that cheater could be for hours stealing the fun. Admins arent 24/24 on servers. Maybe I am a little bit overreacting, but again I really love this game so I wanted to bring my 2 cents.

As I have said when I walk into someone better I don't mind getting shot, I have said about my history in gaming because I am aware of really professional players, but I can see when one is really cheating. Also most of the time I am on the top of the scoreboards(if i care to play competitively). I have purposely registered with my game nickname to add a little bit of credibility.

...I cant really do nothing more than write here and hope that someone will come to his (spidey) senses and make tools that made most popular games ever most popular.

The problem with vote kicking is well illustrated in the L4D franchise. A significant number of people never bother to actually read the vote or even pay attention to the vote and simply vote "yes" to clear the message from their screen; so much so that vote kicking became the du jour griefing tool. In L4D it was bad. In NS2 it could be a down right disaster if used repeatedly on the only competent Commander(s).
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited May 2013

That's... less a problem with skill, and more a problem with the game specifically.

I mean you're always going to have skill differences between players, and that is part of the entire point of games, is to increase your skill at playing them, it is part of what makes all games fun because the game changes as you get better at it.

The problem, perhaps, is that NS2 specifically is either fun when you're good, or mind-crushingly boring if you're not.

Which is more of a game design issue than anything, plenty of games are fun even if you aren't that good at playing them, they offer something to you even if you don't win. NS2 doesn't really, because every little loss along the way slaps you back to square one. It's like playing snakes and ladders only every ladder square points back to the first square.

Frankly, mitigating that issue would also help with cheating, part of the reason it's annoying to have cheaters is because someone being really good makes the game really bad for everyone else, if that were less the case, cheaters would be far less irritating.
    kk20 wrote: »
    So someone was better than you and you claim cheat? There are some damn decent players out there. I too am a decent player and can hold my own on servers such as yoclan.

Some players stomp me regularly. It will be a dark day when the unwashed get votekick. Kicking is am admins job.

So, theoretically, if someone programs their own hack, it's fine for them to use it?

Because the logic appears to be that ruining the fun of others is fine so long as it's difficult to do.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow

The admin on the Complete Breakfast server is working on a hook that will notify him whenever someone says "admin" in chat. I think that this is a great idea and will work well for dealing with the problem immediately.

Fast admin action + ns2bans.com = pretty good community solution, I'd say.
  • VenatosVenatos Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149762Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    tbh i cant agree with the "loosing isnt fun" post in here. i regularly have negative k:d from 7:8 to 1:16 and i allways have fun in ns2.(about 150hours of fun ;)
    ns2 is full of movie-like holy crap situations i cant get enough of. who wins or looses doesnt realy matter, i never got anything for a win.

but to stay on topic: a votekick is a good idea, it just needs to have a steep percentage like 65% of players on the server need to vote for it. so people on the cheaters team need to vote for it too.
  • kk20kk20 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164592Members
    Imnot entirely sure how you could come to the conclusion that i support home made cheats from my post. I assume you quoted the wrong person.

Public vote kick would destroy the game. Ns2bans 'remit' is too wide to be both fair and effective. They class more than (for example) speedhack/wall hack as bannable offences.

As i said earlier. Admins and good admin tools are needed (think tf2 admin mods etc)
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Ban all the pros! Their tryhardiness is ruining the game for the rest of us!