Tips for the noob fades from pro fades?

2»

Comments

• TyrsisTyrsis Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8804Members
    Fule wrote: »
    It's good, but figured that out myself :/ Bitey needs to make some gameplay footage so we can see what he does in every situation, would be nice!

The problem with watching high level play fade is that they aren't doing what you're talking about. I think what you're talking about is what I like to call super combat fades. Fades in the combat mod have every upgrade so they can combo together ss + dbl jump + blink all on adrenaline with celerity, and it makes it look like a fade on crack. It adds a level of unpredictability that makes it hard to hit them with a shotgun. There is also something "off" with combat in that damage seems to not be the same as the normal game. That is just my opinion though, and may very well be wrong.

Normal game fades don't have what you're talking about, so they play a _very_ conservative game at high levels, where they will double swipe and run away unless they are positive they can get a kill off. Even the slight sniff of multiple shotties will result in running and group play. Most of it is actually group fading or using other lifeforms to help them take stuff down. Comboing together ss + dbl jumps + blink to reposition makes it look like you're a smoke ninja but seems to only work well in combat when you can get all the upgrades. That is one of the reason why combat fades are broken (though still a good place to learn them).
  • ezayezay Join Date: 2013-03-11 Member: 183899Members
    Here's a bad fade player's advice for a others fade baddies: when encountering a LMG-non JP marine 1vs1, don't bother blinking/shadowstepping, just hug him and slash him. Sure you'll lose life, but he'll die long before you even come close to yourself.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    what I noticed practising this on a listenserver is how often you doublejump into a ceiling or other area stuff, losing speed drasticly.
    For the most part I seem to do better with single jump, only adding double jump in areas with a higher ceiling.

I also found (by use of the speed debugger) that the added celerity boost prevents me from losing much momentum during the times I will screw up.
    And I will screw up hahah.

But I think I got the basics down. Already faster then just shadowstep.

On 2 attempts I cleared the whole 'gap' in crevice area on shadowstepping & jumping alone. (although I do believe I did a shadowstep above the gap to overcome the distance.)
    Not something ill be doing normally though. I plummeted more down when I tried to do this after then succeed.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    what I noticed practising this on a listenserver is how often you doublejump into a ceiling or other area stuff, losing speed drasticly.
    For the most part I seem to do better with single jump, only adding double jump in areas with a higher ceiling.

I also found (by use of the speed debugger) that the added celerity boost prevents me from losing much momentum during the times I will screw up.
    And I will screw up hahah.

But I think I got the basics down. Already faster then just shadowstep.

On 2 attempts I cleared the whole 'gap' in crevice area on shadowstepping & jumping alone. (although I do believe I did a shadowstep above the gap to overcome the distance.)
    Not something ill be doing normally though. I plummeted more down when I tried to do this after then succeed.

When shadowstepping, you don't have to do the second jump immediately after the first jump. You can time it a bit later. Then you won't go up so high.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    worth a try.
    Ill probably suck for a long time. :)

still better then the super majority of puggers I see. haha.
  • joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    edited April 2013
    I believe in biteys video he was crouching during the jump - ss - dbl jump sequence, I'm not sure exactly when you hit crouch or how long you hold it but it seems this give you some extra range and a smaller size to not hit your head on the ceiling as much.

What I really have the most trouble with is just circling around a marine while ss + swiping and connecting every hit without losing track of him. I tend to lose track during the encounter which allows the marine to pogo stick away and get some shots in and I have to escape, or worst case he has a SG and gets a couple solid hits and I'm dead.
  • ZenuZenu Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72861Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    ezay wrote: »
    Here's a bad fade player's advice for a others fade baddies: when encountering a LMG-non JP marine 1vs1, don't bother blinking/shadowstepping, just hug him and slash him. Sure you'll lose life, but he'll die long before you even come close to yourself.

That is true but it's quite easy to empty magazine to fade that does this. If you want to be able to stay in the battle for longer you should try to get him waste most of his bullets before you attack him. So if he is on bullet frenzy 2 disorienting shadowsteps should do the trick.