PLEASE please please: NO DEVOUR for vanilla NS2!!!!!!!

13»

Comments

• bongofishbongofish Join Date: 2003-08-17 Member: 19893Members
    Evil_Ice wrote: »
    I can't wait to see the reactions from the community when my REAL secret project is revealed...

Ice that murders your family?

Cause that's some evil ice.
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    edited April 2013
    I think devour could be implemented well to accentuate the game a bit and to balance it out have the onos not be able to run fast with a full belly and take more damage when being shot. this way a marine inside may have a chance to be freed by his team... marine takes some damage inside the belly but can use axe to deal damage to onos. as long as there are dangers and gains for all involved it shouldn't be a problem.

May need a timer on the frequency an onos can devour... possibly.

Just brainstorming here.
  • TinkerTinker Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14395Members
    Or just leave it out because it's terrible and not worth the trouble.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    great explanation

Thanks for the explanation. The thread wasn't about combat, which as a mod is fantastic and you should be congratulated as a mod team on your achievements already there.

I just wanted to reply to say thanks for all your work on combat which is great fun to play when you want a change from the more strategic vanilla game. I really like it and it's clear that a great many others do too.
    If you can make devour work in combat such that it doesn't take marines out for extended periods, then good on you, and I wouldn't bash it in that context.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Just wanted to say, awesome work so far. Beyond the arguments for and against the devour ability, it looks like you guys are implementing this the way I'd always envisioned it being. An actual 3 dimensional space that could be interacted with by the marine who is stuck inside there, and I'm looking forward to seeing the final result.

Love to see all the hard work that is going into the combat mod, making it better and better.
  • TimariusTimarius Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171220Members
    edited April 2013
    Squishpoke wrote: »
    Timarius wrote: »

The Onos is eventually going to get a third ability. I just hope it's one that makes it possible for them to fight a dual gun Exo.

Onos can easily take out a dualie in most situations. Depends on who has more support.

Not without sacrificing enough health that it is easily killed by any other marine in the area. Sure, an Onos can likely kill a dual exo that doesn't have any support, but that's not likely, except in forced beacon situations (which is currently one of the only ways to counter an Exo push).

EDIT(2): And if most of the enemy team are Exos, with a few welders, your only option is to try and hit one of their other bases. If there's an Exo defending those, GG.

EDIT: But this thread is about Devour. For those of you who clearly didn't play NS1, Devour was very hard to hit. You had to be dead center on the crosshair and very close to actually devour an enemy. You got extra health regeneration while the enemy was digesting, and most pub players I played with didn't ragequit or F4 in the stomach. They enjoyed (and so did I) being in the stomach, yelling for help like a damsel in distress. Yes, it kept you out of the fight for a while... that was the point. You kept high value targets down so that your team could finish off the rest.

If you really want to worry about that ability, imagine if the extended scripts for Combat came back and gave the extra levels that allowed an Onos to devour 5-6 enemies at a time.
  • KuddlyKalliKuddlyKalli Yuggera Country Join Date: 2010-12-23 Member: 75905Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Hugh wrote: »
    Chill chaps, Devour is not coming into NS2 - The screenshot is a prototype for Combat mod :)

Nice job inciting mass panic, Hugh. ;)
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    To be honest not alot of production value went into it, I made it in two nights for my friends working hard on the Combat mod, I figured it would be a better placeholder until something of even higher quality can be produced. I have, however, implemented a number of little surprises into the model that will allow for some new developments to help make devour more fun and interactive!

Be sure to support combat mod though, those guys are working hard to recreate a classic concept and a friendly learning environment for players new to NS2 and help bridge the learning curve, AND simultaneously give a more casual alternative to allow people to play matches 1v1 instead of requiring 3v3 just to get a match off the ground!

I'm super excited that UWE is supporting combat mod, and so are the developers, this can make a very positive impact on the community and player-base as a whole.

That said I think all the confusion regarding such a harmless prototype development screenshot is quite amusing! I can't wait to see the reactions from the community when my REAL secret project is revealed...

All these recreations are making me think you have the entire game of NS1 recreated perfectly, DONT FAIL ME
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    I ONLY READ THE TITLE PANIC PANIC AAAHHHH WHAT'S GOING ON DEVOAAAHHH!!!!

*takes deep breath*

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I thought it was a Gorge belly :C
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
  • Evil_IceEvil_Ice Join Date: 2004-07-09 Member: 29827Members, Squad Five Blue
    when my REAL secret project is revealed...

All these recreations are making me think you have the entire game of NS1 recreated perfectly, DONT FAIL ME

Muahahahaha...
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    He's onto us, quickly mobobo take him out! 848-02805363w.jpg
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    You can run but you can't hide, I will find
    Jibrail wrote: »
    He's onto us, quickly mobobo take him out! 848-02805363w.jpg
    Tell me everything, WHAT DO YOU KNOW
  • kk20kk20 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164592Members
    I love devour. I might be a minority. Sorry to those on teamwork and tactics :)
  • StreidominatingStreidominating Join Date: 2010-04-09 Member: 71236Members
    Devouring a Gorge to heal the Onos from the inside. Gorges are just that cute, you want to eat them.