PLEASE please please: NO DEVOUR for vanilla NS2!!!!!!!

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
  • 2d0x2d0x Join Date: 2013-03-16 Member: 184030Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Xarius wrote: »
    I personally loved devour, never understood what all the QQ was about.
    I really want to see Devour in vanilla ns2, but this will not happen, because the current generation of gamers who grew up on games like cod ... they require more action every second of the game, and they do not want to lose control, never.
    Devour is amazing ability. It fits perfectly to the Onos, to the game.
    Disagree me "next-generation-gamers", im ready for this.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    My hatred towards devour isn't that it takes you out of the action, it's that it takes 0 skill to get a guarenteed kill.
  • EgoGamerEgoGamer Join Date: 2012-06-21 Member: 153536Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    _Necro_ wrote: »
    I also don't mind, that it is an insta-kill. Because if you happen to be the target of an onos, you will die anyway in 90% of the cases if he reaches you.

I have to wonder then, what would be the point in Devour when Gore already fills the roll? Would you want to put yourself at a disadvantage (slower movement speed) just so you can kill that marine in one hit instead of two?
  • bongofishbongofish Join Date: 2003-08-17 Member: 19893Members
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    My hatred towards devour isn't that it takes you out of the action, it's that it takes 0 skill to get a guarenteed kill.

It takes the same amount of skill as the shotgun or railgun, perhaps a bit more since you have to be closer.

Do you want to get rid of the shotgun and railgun as well?
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    ...you can't be serious
  • WillzZzWillzZz Join Date: 2013-01-31 Member: 182667Members
    Ran in to devour once on combat. Quit the server. It's a pretty bad game mechanic.
  • GeekavengerGeekavenger Join Date: 2012-08-31 Member: 157117Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I feel like the concerns about Devour could be addressed with Balance changes:
    -Energy to consume
    -Cost of Research at 3rd hive
    -Speed while full (drastically reduced)
    -Damage type while in stomach (I would suggest the same type as spore so armor upgrades don't keep marines out of combat longer)
    -Bite Cone (Maybe have Glancing bites for Devour that do a small amount of damage, and a really narrow cone for actually devouring, I think the Onos could use some skill based abilities, right now to be a good Onos is more about tactical awareness not about skill with the mouse)

And I am sure much more. I think if they put Devour in the game chances are it will be like Bile Bomb, and be OP out the gate and then get nerfed down to something more fair. And just like Bile Bomb I feel like there is probably a way to nerf it while keeping the spirit of the ability alive and fun.

As for marines being taken out of combat until they die, this is similar to Vortex, which is why I think making it hard to pull off and expensive to research is enough of a nerf, 75 resources+3rd hive + 30ish Tres + Hard to Pull off.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Then image is from the devour ability that is being added to the Combat mod. We have no plans to add devour to Vanilla NS2
    Dance party at my pl.... WAIT, GORGE TUNNELS >: (

• joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Then image is from the devour ability that is being added to the Combat mod. We have no plans to add devour to Vanilla NS2

Thank goodness.

Also, it would be really cool if a modder could create a competitive version of combat by removing all the shenanigans. (ie exos, onos, ink, xeno, emp) I would love you forever.
    joshhh wrote: »

Thank goodness.

Also, it would be really cool if a modder could create a competitive version of combat by removing all the shenanigans. (ie exos, onos, ink, xeno, emp) I would love you forever.

It's called Last Stand :P

Also aren't Onos and EXO removed from Combat already? I wouldn't know never played it, I just heard stuff...
    They were, then they were readded for some reason.
    ...you can't be serious

Very serious, because I am right. Unless you can explain how a ranged one hit kill weapon takes more skill than a melee one hit kill weapon.
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    bongofish wrote: »
    ...you can't be serious

Very serious, because I am right. Unless you can explain how a ranged one hit kill weapon takes more skill than a melee one hit kill weapon.

Which one is the faster mover and thus much harder to hit? The marine or the fade?

You have two guesses.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester

You have to aim a ranged one hit kill weapon... (I'm guessing your referring to railgun?)
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I've always had the depth perception of a one-eyed mole when it came to trying to hit a marine with devour.
    edited April 2013
    ...you can't be serious

Hm, let's see, marines move slow, even with a jetpack you can't move away in time. Devour has a ridiculous range right now, about 1.5x the range of it's horn attack, it's guaranteed to get a kill unless the onos dies (it doesn't).
    The marines can 1 shot kill 1 alien life form, the skulk, a weak and free unit. Where as they, can have a jetpack, shotgun, welder, a3, full hp, and still go down to this attack.

EDIT: I should better explain why the range is annoying, you can be aiming 2.5 marine widths away from the marine, and it can be standing 1m away, and you still get him.

EDIT2: OH, and, if you get in that close as an onos to devour, you probably won't die unless you chose the complete wrong moment to do it, as a marine, if you get that close to shotgun something, you have a pretty good chance of dying to SOMETHING.
    Therius wrote: »
    ...you can't be serious

Which one is the faster mover and thus much harder to hit? The marine or the fade?

You have two guesses.

A marine with a jet pack is as hard to hit with a melee attack as a Fade is with a ranged one. They both come down to putting the crosshair on something and clicking. The fade is quicker but has to come into melee range.
  • SolarisSolaris Join Date: 2003-05-11 Member: 16213Members
    We have no plans to add devour to Vanilla NS2
    Huzzah!
    joshhh wrote: »

You have to aim a ranged one hit kill weapon... (I'm guessing your referring to railgun?)

You have to aim a melee attack as well. In NS1 it was really easy to miss with devour.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow

Thank you!!!
    edited April 2013
    Ah. I haven't played combat because it is a terrible abomination that ruined NS1 and was going on my memories of devour in NS1.

My point was that one hit kill weapons are point and click,they all take about the same amount of skill, barring things like a ridiculous AOE or something.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    2d0x wrote: »
    I really want to see Devour in vanilla ns2, but this will not happen, because the current generation of gamers who grew up on games like cod ... they require more action every second of the game, and they do not want to lose control, never.

I disagreed because you're wrong. Also, I'm from the old school of gamers, with Wolfenstein 3d, doom and doom 2, dn3d, quake etc forming the bedrock of my gaming life, followed by similar games such as kingpin, which I played competitively, and later hl, cs, ns1 and a bunch newer games falling in line.
    If anything, the newer games have increased reduction in player control, with more cutscenes and scripted sequences, less time actually playing the game.
    I've never played any of the cod games.
    You literally couldn't be more wrong in your entire post.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    Timarius wrote: »

The Onos is eventually going to get a third ability. I just hope it's one that makes it possible for them to fight a dual gun Exo.

Onos can easily take out a dualie in most situations. Depends on who has more support.

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    See I told you all "DON'T PANIC".

Working yourselves up into a tizz about nothing...
  • hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    We have no plans to add devour to Vanilla NS2
    Happy happy joy joy!!!
    Roobubba wrote: »
    I agree 100% with this. People have even explained why Devour no longer makes sense - high value regular Marines do not exist in NS2. And Stomp is better in every way.
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    See I told you all "DON'T PANIC".

Working yourselves up into a tizz about nothing...
    Better safe than sorry :p
  • 2d0x2d0x Join Date: 2013-03-16 Member: 184030Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited April 2013
    Roobubba wrote: »
    2d0x wrote: »
    I'm talking about the generation in general, about the vast majority, and not about single exception.
    Anyway every man has his opinion. Most people now and 10 years ago, have different opinions about the gameplay in general. But over the last 10 years, I have noticed how the general opinion has changed. 10 years ago it was cool, its Devour, Big Rhino is eating you, wow its cool, your friends must save you ... but it is not fun and cool anymore, because of change of general opinion.
    I asked all my friends, the players with 10 and more years gaming experience, those who played the ns1, and they believe that Devour ability was remarkable, was then, and would be now.
    It is natural that people try to surround yourself with people with similar interests and opinions. I'm surrounded by people who exactly the same notice the changes in the general opinion of the players about the gameplay in different games (generally a question of simplifying games in recent years). It is the reason because ns2 lost a lot of things from the ns1 - to match the interests of the majority.
    In any case, these are my words and my thoughts, they do not change anything, you have received confirmation that you have nothing to fear. All I can do is accept it.
    Ns2 is still one of best games in the world, and it will always be in my heart. Peace.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Chill chaps, Devour is not coming into NS2 - The screenshot is a prototype for Combat mod :)
  • Evil_IceEvil_Ice Join Date: 2004-07-09 Member: 29827Members, Squad Five Blue
    To be honest not alot of production value went into it, I made it in two nights for my friends working hard on the Combat mod, I figured it would be a better placeholder until something of even higher quality can be produced. I have, however, implemented a number of little surprises into the model that will allow for some new developments to help make devour more fun and interactive!

Be sure to support combat mod though, those guys are working hard to recreate a classic concept and a friendly learning environment for players new to NS2 and help bridge the learning curve, AND simultaneously give a more casual alternative to allow people to play matches 1v1 instead of requiring 3v3 just to get a match off the ground!

I'm super excited that UWE is supporting combat mod, and so are the developers, this can make a very positive impact on the community and player-base as a whole.

That said I think all the confusion regarding such a harmless prototype development screenshot is quite amusing! I can't wait to see the reactions from the community when my REAL secret project is revealed...