Combat Mode Relaunch

Comments

• JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    my name on there is Jibrail
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2013
    Done :)

You could add info on Xenoswarm too :D
    Thanks! working on a post for combat but gonna get some feedback from greeds before I publish.
  • MCMLXXXIVMCMLXXXIV Join Date: 2010-04-14 Member: 71400Members
    Thanks Soul!

On a side note:
    Just an FYI - we've done a small update to Combat today with many bugs squished!
    • Fixed white screen while loading new map
    • Fixed accidentally giving resupply to the wrong player in certain conditions
    • Reenabled the Railgun/Claw Exo
    • Resupply now costs 1 Upgrade Point
    • Devour victim now moves with the Onos
    • Stomp is now a tier 2 upgrade
    • Fixed XP bar text updating too slowly
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited April 2013
    Xarius wrote: »
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    Scatter wrote: »
    I would like to see combat be less about kill for xp, and more about holding capturable res points that generate xp. Right now it seems to be a bit mindless when it could offer much more interesting game play.
    Combat CTF?

I could see it when you have a few (like 2-4) res nodes between the two hives in which you need to push and capture via building either an extractor or harvester. Make it so both sides have to build the RT manually and give it a slow enough build time that it takes like 60s to build and I think it should work.

However, would still love the mindless zerging style of gameplay to still be an option to allow for comp teams to do simple 2v2/3v3-type drills.

Have one sort of 'super RT point' in the middle, as long as a team's structure stands on it they are detracting the enemy's point. Both teams have like 500 points. Once the enemy's structure on this point is destroyed you can (slowly) build your own. Building it should require gorges (faster base building speed) or welders (to speed up the slower marine base building speed)

I think that would make combat dramatically more fun. Though maps would probably have to be a wee bit larger as well. And annihilation should still be an alternate victory condition (so base rushes/raids would still be viable for both sides as well)

Somebody make this please!

That would be KotH mixed with Battlefield…

Not really a fan of it if the victory condition boils down to this. Often it's just one team pushing the other back in normal Combat already and the center of the base is rarely the point of action. Yet this lockdown is not a definite indicator of who is going to win, since the sieged team can free themselves eventually with a coordinated push once they caught up in upgrade points.

About the latest changes: why was Resupply reverted to 1 point cost? The ability seemed strong enough to warrant 2 points.
    Maybe change the way it is intended to work: split it up into Medpack Resupply and Ammo Resupply, each costing 1 point.

The bug that you fixed with the latest patch would have been actually considered a feature by me: Resupply should not wait for you to be in need of it to kick in but instead keep ticking on a regular timer and always drop the respective Med/Ammo Pack at your location when the timer pops. If you are in need of the Medpack or Ammo, you will automatically pick it up. However, if you are full already the pack can stay on the ground so that a teammate can take it instead, so it actually becomes a support ability that may help the rest of the team. Limit it so that there can only be 3 Med/Ammo Packs on the ground per player with that ability, so they don't pile up and make the server suffer or create invincible marine fortifications just because they have a lot of stuff on the ground.
  • CuelCuel Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181295Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Resupply being back at 1 point is good, I almost completely ignored taking it when it was 2 points. It's still only health and ammo, not armor as compared to aliens regen which also is just one point.

What we need is the gorge fix, really

gveeodp.jpg

I'm still not sure about the choice of having one duel minigun and a railgun while aliens have 2 onoses. I don't know if it's good or bad, considering the fact that railgun are almost useless against onsoes. Still JP'ers should be good enough counter as long as the environment is suitable.

edited April 2013
    yeah I talked about that a couple of pages back, we gonna use proximity to avoid having hydras blocking one place or multiple crags ( once they are in ) to be all dropped under the hive for super fast healing, so in every "zone" you are allowed only X number of any given structure.
    Still we don't wanna make changes like that in a rush because they are quite big and will most likely end up breaking lots of stuff, this week is dedicated to bug fixing then next on the list I believe are changes to win condition.
    edited April 2013
    Also you should consider removing or fixing devour since all it does is crash or completely lag out servers. Most servers I play on ban players who use it.
    edited April 2013
    when did this happen? last Tuesday when we playtested before we released a new version nothing came up, and I'm 100% sure that devour and stomp were tested. joining a server to test now.
    Can you please give more info to go on if there is anything else I should know.
    edited April 2013
    ok so onos bug is not confirmed yet.

Many players are complaining about late game server lag not sure if that is us.
    Axe bug: axe disappear after you get shotgun confirmed by many players, dosn't seem to happen with other weapons but check more anyway.
    Kill console command is being abused: for instance getting devoured and killing urself=not giving xp to onos
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Can those really loud level up noises get removed? Or at least only play when you level up? Not anyone on the team.
    At least I think that's what the boomy sound is.
  • Korn09Korn09 Join Date: 2013-03-23 Member: 184285Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Jibrail wrote: »
    ok so onos bug is not confirmed yet.

Many players are complaining about late game server lag not sure if that is us.
    Axe bug: axe disappear after you get shotgun confirmed by many players, dosn't seem to happen with other weapons but check more anyway.
    Kill console command is being abused: for instance getting devoured and killing urself=not giving xp to onos

Hi Jibrail,

I run the Team GG combat servers, and can absolutely confirm that the devour bug is still there (we've seen it quite a bit). If you'd like, please contact me on steam or here (same username), and I can get the server logs to you. They're fairly large (to the tune of each time it dumps around 250 MB of errors).
    Yup just played on the french combat server and it lagged out the server for 5 mins, was spectating a JPer getting devoured the moment it happened one of the two times.
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Is that devour screenie from the official tweeter feed from this mod?
  • woodywoody SoCal Woody56 Join Date: 2004-02-14 Member: 26541Members
    Any one else having issues with co maps from the workshop ? Some are named ns2_co_xxxxx maps and others ns2_xxxxx ? I get "FILE NO FOUND" trying to connect even thou all mod files are there an it mainly happens after restarting my server. Once I use webadmins to change the map I connect ok.
    yeah I talked about that a couple of pages back, we gonna use proximity to avoid having hydras blocking one place or multiple crags ( once they are in ) to be all dropped under the hive for super fast healing, so in every "zone" you are allowed only X number of any given structure.

Sewlek's Balance mod changed Crags so their healing doesn't stack with each other and they can only heal 3 targets at a time. That would help to avoid that Crag-under-Hive-stack.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    The French server gets really laggy
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Jekt wrote: »
    Can those really loud level up noises get removed? Or at least only play when you level up? Not anyone on the team.
    Please. I'm tempted to try to find those sound files and either delete them or replace them with blanks. Its an issue for those of us who crank down our in-game volumes as those sound files don't appear to be affected by the volume slider.
    Would agree...they're random as hell and annoying when they pop up out of the blue.
  • GorgenapperGorgenapper Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 157916Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I haven't been on combat for a couple of days due to issues on my laptop, but is it still limited to 1 dual minigun exo, and 1 railgun exo? If it is, I thought things were much better with the previous limit:

1 Onos per 5 players
    1 Dual Exo per 5 players

That meant you had 2 onoses waiting to counter any lone rambo Dual Exo, and if those onoses failed to work as a team, the exos would stomp in and reduce the hive to bits. I felt that things were quite balanced because marines needed to make one or two coordinated pushes with much welder/shotgun/GL support in order to take out the hive, and everything had to go right otherwise the push gets picked off and neutralized. Many games came right down to the last 30s - 1 min, and IMO that's pretty close in a 25 min game.

Assuming the 2nd dual exo has been removed and replaced by the less-than-spectacular railgun exo, the handful of games I played resulted overwhelmingly in alien victories by killing the comm station. That should RARELY happen in a game that's time-biased against marines, and yet we had aliens consistently cornering the marines in base. You no longer had the firepower of 2 dual exos to fend off aliens - railgun exos are trash vs anything up close and fast moving (juking fade), and onos just charge right in knowing that railguns have terrible DPS.

To put it more simply... 2 onos vs 1 dual exo and railgun exo almost always end with the onoses winning. If the objective is to balance off the 'capital units', this is not going to work unless you reduce the onos armor to 600 with carapace (400 without) like how it used to be, or maybe give the option of having 1 railgun and 1 single minigun exo in addition to the dual minigun. Or maybe 1 dual exo, 1 dual railgun exo...
    edited April 2013
    Korn09 wrote: »
    Would agree...they're random as hell and annoying when they pop up out of the blue.
    Please. I'm tempted to try to find those sound files and either delete them or replace them with blanks. Its an issue for those of us who crank down our in-game volumes as those sound files don't appear to be affected by the volume slider.

yeah we know they are annoying, we were suppose to change them so that you only hear it when you level up and only for self, right now you hear them once you get xp or a kill for self, team mates and even the other team, trust me its on our to do list we just never got around of doing it with some many other stuff to fix and add.

If there are any programmers out there that want to join us please drop us a word here, we are in a desperate need for programmers to help move things along faster.

Right now Jim and greeds are working on current combat, xeno swarm and all the new problems that comes with it, the new combat with a new code written almost from scratch, extra entity mod, plus their other personal smaller projects all that during whatever free time they can get with real life commitments.
    So again if there are any programmers out there that can help in anyway please don't hesitate to contact us.

yeah we know they are annoying, we were suppose to change them so that you only hear it when you level up and only for self, right now you hear them once you get xp or a kill for self, team mates and even the other team, trust me its on our to do list we just never got around of doing it with some many other stuff to fix and add.

If there are any programmers out there that want to join us please drop us a word here, we are in a desperate need for programmers to help move things along faster.

Right now Jim and greeds are working on current combat, xeno swarm and all the new problems that comes with it, the new combat with a new code written almost from scratch, extra entity mod, plus their other personal smaller projects all that during whatever free time they can get with real life commitments.
    So again if there are any programmers out there that can help in anyway please don't hesitate to contact us.

I can definitely appreciate the time involved in fixing these issues. I sent over the log files to MCMLXXXIV for the devour bug. Please feel free to hit me up if you have anything else you want looked at from the server side.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    The sounds not inheriting the clients volume settings is because they are not correctly categorized in FMOD. Sound Effects/Game Sounds should be under 'master/sfx', and music 'master/music'. Then the client side volume settings should apply.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow

If the bug isn't quickly fixable, I'd prefer to see a hotfix to remove them temporarily. As far as I can tell, temp removing it would have a minimal effect on gameplay, but be a huge relief/remove a major deterrent for those of us who have to readjust all our sound levels to prevent busting our eardrums while playing combat.
    Is that devour screenie from the official tweeter feed from this mod?
    yes done by Ice the same guy who made the knife model and smg model and helped with the classic fade model, all now available on steam workshop so grab them and vote him up!
  • GorgenapperGorgenapper Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 157916Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    So...any thoughts on the limit of 1 dual exo? Played roughly 15 games of combat last night on the GG servers.

Marines won twice, MAYBE three times.

Aliens won about 7 to 8 games by time out, and the rest by actually killing the CC. All with a timer working AGAINST the marines.

The general sentiment is that if you have 2 onoses running around with superior mobility and 1300hp/900a, one dual exo isn't going to cut it either attacking or defending. To put it simply, it was already tough enough with TWO dual exos.

Also, dual exos have to upgrade weapons to reach their full potential damage, while onoses come ready out of the box? Seems fair to me when we had 2 duals...
  • DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
    edited April 2013
    @gorgenapper - same issue all along. You either give marines an advantage and keep alien default win, or you remove alien default win in favor of last stand (no healing hive/cc). Those are really the only two options to balancing combat. Of course balancing combat without ns2stats is very difficult for the team, but I think we all know it's at least slightly alien favored at the moment.

Edit: Jibrail I have been waiting, I know you guys have something up your sleeve ;)
    wait and see what we have in store for you in the next patch, I won't share anything for now cause something might break and we take it out so hold just a little more please we will make sure to test this one longer than what we usually do to make sure its very stable before the promotion goes live.
  • kk20kk20 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164592Members
    edited April 2013
    UA, nano weld and static? Or (since I love. Devour) sense of ancients double devour?
    edited April 2013
    So...any thoughts on the limit of 1 dual exo? Played roughly 15 games of combat last night on the GG servers.

Marines won twice, MAYBE three times.

Aliens won about 7 to 8 games by time out, and the rest by actually killing the CC. All with a timer working AGAINST the marines.

The general sentiment is that if you have 2 onoses running around with superior mobility and 1300hp/900a, one dual exo isn't going to cut it either attacking or defending. To put it simply, it was already tough enough with TWO dual exos.

Also, dual exos have to upgrade weapons to reach their full potential damage, while onoses come ready out of the box? Seems fair to me when we had 2 duals...

Personally, I would wait with big changes for Balance adjustment until the changes from Sewlek's Balance mod hit the vanilla game (which is probably quite soon, since he is already in the last phase of sorting out whether or not some experimental features will make it in).
    There are quite some nerfs to Exos and Onos inside (less HP and damage output but slightly more utility) in there and basic units like Skulks and marines got buffed in terms of movement and hit detection. If Combat builds on the same base as regular NS2, the current balance problems might solve themselves eventually.

Entries with a ? are still pending for their inclusion and are now in the final test phase. The others are pretty much confirmed already.
    Resource System:
    - resource values have been increase x10 for better fine tuning costs
    - team resources when no RT active (counts as 0.5 active RTs)
    - increased starting team resources to 750
    - increased resource tower costs to 150
    - removed "no res while dead" rule
    - reduced personal resource income per RT from 1.25 to 1

General:
    -? disabled gradual melee attacks
    - added additional 6 second respawn time when rejoining a team, suiciding or when killed by a death trigger
    - movement code rewritten

Anti Spam:
    - resource towers and command structures will now block re-creation for 5 seconds after destruction (enemy team is allowed to drop something)
    -? crag, shade, shift are now moveable
    - added supply limit for specific units, 100 supply per captured tech point
    - MACs and Drifters are no longer able to attack
    - multiple MACs are no longer able to weld the same target
    - crags no longer stack their healing with each other and can heal a maximum of 3 targets at once
    - shift energize no longer stacks

Marine Tech Tree:
    - nano shield is now a research at command station
    - arms lab no longer requires an armory
    - welders no longer require a research
    - reduced exosuit research cost by 50
    - exosuits require now a built robotics factory
    - removed flame thrower and grenade launcher research (unlock with advanced armory)
    - JP and Exosuit are now available with 1 command station

Exosuit:
    -? reduced exo armor to 310, down from 400
    -? reduced exo armor upgrade to 35, down from 40
    -? reduced exo cost to 300 (500 for dual minigun)
    -? exos can now be nano shielded
    - exosuits can now use their thruster horizontal (use shift)
    - reduced exo thruster cool down to 2.5 seconds (was 4)
    - increased exo base speed to 6 m/s, up from 5
    - reduced claw damage to 30
    - fixed exo weapon not profiting from weapon upgrades
    - toned down minigun damage to 16 (was 25)
    - toned down railgun damage to 40+120 (was 50+150)

Flame Thrower:
    - increase flame thrower clip size to 50 (was 30)
    - removed flame thrower damage ramp up
    - reduced flamethrower cost to 200 (was 250)
    - reduced flamethrower weight and increased range slightly
    - flamethrower can now burn up bile/whip bombs and disables enemy structure functions

Grenade Launcher:
    - reduced grenade launcher cost to 200 (was 250)
    - increased grenade launcher reserve ammo to 28
    - whips will now cause whacked grenades to detonate within 0.45 seconds

Shotgun:
    - increased shotgun cost to 250 (was 200)
    - reduced shotgun damage per pellet to 10 (was 11)
    - adjusted shotgun spread

ARC:
    - reduced ARC build time from 10 to 7
    - reduced robotics factory upgrade time from 40 to 20
    - reduced ARC movement speed by 50%
    - fixed ARC not being properly affected by ink clouds

Marine General:
    -? removed medpack cooldown
    -? reduced health/armor of Phase Gates to 2500/300 (down from 2700/450)
    - all marines structures can now be build on infestation, but 50% slower than usual
    - added ability for marine commander to temporary power individual structures
    - amories no longer heal armor
    - reduced welder cost to 40
    - increased medpack cost to 15 (was 10)
    -? marines now always see when something is damaged (yellow wrench icon)
    - increased jetpack cost to 150 (was 100)
    - IP spawn time increased to 8 seconds (was 7)
    - removed MAC EMP
    - reduced vision obscurring effect from bilebomb on exo HUD
    - extractors and command stations can now be parasited

Alien Spawn:
    - each alien has individual spawn timer (11 seconds)
    - an egg is generated every 10 seconds (5 seconds for 12 player)
    - each hive can have max of 4 eggs (8 for 12 players)
    - hives have now the hatch ability (2 eggs for 50 t.res)

Alien Tech Tree:
    - added bio mass, upgrade at hive. each hive can provide 3 bio mass (1 default, 150 + 350 res for upgrading 2 times)
    - each bio mass level increases the base health of all life forms and is requirement for ability researches
    - scaleable upgrades (for example build a maximum of 3 shells to get maximum efficiency for carapace, regeneration), 200 res per structure
    - celerity works now in combat and increases max speed by 1.5 m/s
    - regeneration works now in combat
    - adrenaline increases max energy and regeneration rate by 10% per level
    - added new shade upgrade which shows enemies and their health (called 'Aura' for now)

Fade:
    -? swipe attack speed +16%, damage down by 16% (3/3/4/4 hits to kill a marine). this should make fades less powerful early game, but can kill marines late game faster
    - fade: swapped blink and shadow step (shadow step is now the upgrade)
    - blink: fades are a bit easier to see during blink
    - shadowstep: does not add any momentum anymore instead moves you at high speed 6 meters in the desired direction (-> dodging), works also vertical
    - fade vortex ability is now created as a seperate object in the world and block all attacks if no valid target has been hit
    - disabled fade double jump

Lerk:
    - spores are now tier 3 and bigger / cheaper to use.
    - umbra is now tier 2 and blocks 1 out of 3 bullets (was 1 out of 2)

Onos:
    -? changed stomp to affect marines in a radius rather than being a shockwave
    -? stomp causes miniguns to overheat
    - reduced gore range to 1.7
    - reduced gore damage to 100
    - added onos ability to absorb damage for energy (6 biomass). basic onos is now weaker

Gorge:
    -? increased gorge move speed from 5.1 to 5.7 m/s
    -? hydras are now flamable
    - doubled heal spray construct effectiveness
    - reduced carapace armor to 120 (down from 150)

Skulk:
    - xenocide cant be cancelled anymore
    - when dying by xenocide, skulk respawn time is reduce by 6 seconds

Infestation:
    - cysts will block recreation in the area when destroyed for 4 seconds
    - cysts will autobuild once their parent is contructed
    - increased cyst build time to 4 seconds, removed cool down
    - increased cyst range and infestation radius
    - reduced cyst cost to 5 (was 10)
    - infestation receding is now twice as fast than growing
    - gorge tunnel entrances create now infestation when the other side is infested

Drifter:
    - Drifters can now be created during the hive is researching
    - increased drifter cost to 40 (was 30)
    - reduced drifter cloud costs to 15 (was 20)
    - drifters unlock passive abilities depending on hive type (shade: camouflage, shift: celerity, crag: regeneration)
    - drifters unlock triggered abilities (whip: enzyme cloud, shade hive: hallucinate, shift hive: storm cloud/movement speed, crag hive: mucous membrane/heals armor)
    - moved hallucinations from shade to drifters: every alien in effect range generates a hallucination, controllable by the alien commander

Alien General:
    -? crag, shift and shade can now always be build
    -? increased cost of crag, shade and shift to 120 (was 100)
    -? utility chamber abilities require now the correct hive type
    -? fade and onos eggs require now bio mass three
    -? allow aliens to change upgrades (min gestation time 5 seconds)
    -? shifts increase the movement speed of nearby crags and shades
    - rupture can now be cast directly on infestation, like bonewall
    - added echo harvester to shift
    - added echo gorge tunnel to shift (only on infestation)
    - whips will now root and unroot automatically
    - enemies are outlined with parasite only (damage will no longer trigger it)
    - the normal gestation time is applied when using a pre-evolved egg instead of just 2 seconds
    - shift echo ability no longer requires maturity
    -? increased harvester health/armor: 2000/400 mature 2200/500, up from 1300/400 mature 1750/500