State of the Game: April 2013 - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• ExplosifBeExplosifBe Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58284Forum Admins, Playtest Lead, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    Let's get back on topic.

Great post, it's always good to know where NS2 currently is.
    Biodome looks sexy! Looking forward to it, and I'm sure it will add more stuff for mappers to play with.

And talking about PAX, any plans to do Gamescom this year? NS2-Fr will be there and provide all possible help if needed!
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    Once upon a time, in a land far away, lived a very special unicorn, and it's tribe considered him one of the greatest creatures in the world, for he had wings and could fly.

This Unicorn was happy and a good-natured animal and made friends with everyone, even humans. It liked little children, who always stared at him in wonder and delight.

Unfortunately, this Unicorn, had one problem. No matter how much he tried to talk to his friends, no one could hear him. This would sometimes make the Unicorn very upset as he so desperately wanted to fit in, but everyone would just ignore him.

Sometimes while playing out in the forest with his friends, his friends would sometines get in a fight. He tried to break them up, but since he had no voice it was very difficult. Sometimes he had to use his special horn to keep his friends playing nice together.

One day while flying around above the forest, he spotted what he thought were other Unicorns just like him. As he drew closer he noticed that these Unicorns were different, they had no horn and no wings, the Unicorn thought this was strange.

The Unicorn watched them and realized they had no voices either. He realized it might be fun to run around with the group that was so similiar.

The Unicorn contemplated removing his horn and wings to fit in, however, he wasn't sure as he was also the last of his kind. Should he join the group or not?

The End.

^^Pertinent issue, SAVE THE UNICORN.
  • ezayezay Join Date: 2013-03-11 Member: 183899Members
    edited April 2013
    Deleted - post not contributing anything - GISP
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Oh hugh... Such high hopes. I know you know this is the internet and even the great things like ns2 can not escape it.

To comment on the article:
    It was mentioned that it feels odd that ns2 is still in full time development. I am so glad you guys are still doing that. I have enjoyed this game greatly since beta with now 600 hours and I know that it is getting better and better.

Performance is increasing slowly and steadily you say. Didn't you guys mention a possible huge performance increase not too long ago? I guess that is either not happening as expected or not ready enough to mention again. I could be wrong.

The Spark SDK is getting better. I bet the mod jam helped make headway here. I think that updating to OpenGL is great for multiplatform support. Dx11 would be an improvement from dx9 as it does have performance benefits over Dx9 I have read. I agree, that is a good step towards your next game.

North America has the higher player count that western Europe but Europe seems to have a more developed competitive seen. Anyone wish to speculate why that is? Maybe that is just me observing things wrong.

France is now second! Gasp! I like to see that there is some fierce competition for second place... but not first. USA#1!!!!!!

I am excited to see more of biodome. I cant wait. Beyond what biodome brings I can not think of much else for content updates. Maybe this will be when you start making a Gorge Race app for $1 for android, window phones (for hugh), and iphone?

I am glad pax east brought in sales. Always glad to see UWE do well.

Sad to hear NSL does not bring in much sales. Maybe it should not be yearly but bi annual. Along with the UWE matches donations and other such ideas? Personally I found the recent nexzil tournament more exciting.

Mod Jam! Someone should make a jingle or something themed around the mod jam. I think the mod jam was interesting. Seemed like a good way to innovate and show off ns2's mod abilities. I hope modding becomes more popular. There are some good ones now but would be cool if there was more. Need these mods hosted too with player counts to keep those server admins running them. Come on community, show some mod support.

That is enough rambling. Good day.
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    james888 wrote: »
    North America has the higher player count that western Europe but Europe seems to have a more developed competitive seen. Anyone wish to speculate why that is? Maybe that is just me observing things wrong.

Just pure speculation from my observations: NA may have more players in pub, but the matches arent as good as the players arent that good, EU is more widespread in the gaming world.

P.S. I dont want to be a party blooper but where is the patch?
  • VonDoomVonDoom Knee deep in the latency Join Date: 2009-10-08 Member: 68989Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    There was a thread where someone (Joseppe i think) suggested a competition in making community-made background maps for the ns2 main menu, what is the current status on that?

And we want to hear more about the progress on ns2_eclipse and changes to current maps!
  • rayzourayzou Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184066Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    Firstly, about NSL invitational cup @ Cologne. I totally respect the work Hugh and all others had to do to fill in the 4 hours show for this event. To my mind, it's hard to accept some kind of reproach about voluntary ticket contributions. Since NS1, the community is already carrying the game. Moreover, thinking that a cash prize in a cup is enough to talk about e-sport, i don't agree. Streams of e-sports are made of games analysis, interviews from the public about their feelings on the last round plaied, short previews of every player in the line ups etc... Just watch one of the most successful game in e-sport, Starcraft II : big analysis of the game, one with the current casters, how they felt during the game, how players came back from a bad situation, and then a second feedback with game anylizers, talking more about macro situations. It's exactly the same in big cups for Dota2 and it is what viewers WANT. I feel like this news is just telling us we should have paied more tickets or give contributions/donations. I don't think this is the solution to our problem. The main problem is that it's hard to find any sponsor for this game since the streaming for NSL final didn't look like "professional". And the only reason is that we talk more about other things that the game itself, we don't show how FKING COOL and GREAT it is, how important the strategies and positioning are, how clever you have to be to win a game.

Secondary, I wanna talk about how the community works hard to keep the competitive scene alive. Just please, i beg you, dont spit on it. Make them more involved in casting, in NS2HD's, take more their feedback into account, maybe even work with them ? I'll take blind, Reddog and b1 for example and thank them for their great work and time spent for this game. Nexzil tournament was a great idea and ENSL staff are doing great in organizing cups such as the regular seasons and Nations Cup. I won't take time to list all the people who contribute in keeping players motivated. This community is already participating to this game survival and asking us to give money now is paradoxical.

Thanks for keeping us in touch about the current situation about the state of the game. To my mind, developers should care more about Sewlek's balanced mod that seems to be really great. Sure he's coming back to NS1 gameplay and UWE want a totally different new game. But look how blocked the gameplay is in matches. Cara first for aliens, Sgs are the only advanced weapons used. The tech tree doesn't give enough viable possibilities. Some maps need changes since few months, like veil and descent, but nothing has been done yet. I don't really know what to say, but it seems like UWE's priorities are not the good ones. I am really respectful about what you guys are doing and working on, but I can't agree with the way it's taking. It's the same idea about NSL final cup's streaming, it seems like we care more about communication than the game itself. I don't get why the work done is not focused on the game itself, which is all about, NS2. Since the release we all have more and more fps, and it's great. But still, their are some of its basics that should be reworked. I will take NS1 as an example, all the work done was to make a balanced game. To its final version, the basis have been changed over few YEARS.

Anyway, I will keep playing this great game, but some things have to be pointed out even if I totally respect developers and their work.

- ray
  • -WildCat--WildCat- Cape Town, South Africa Join Date: 2008-07-19 Member: 64664Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I loved this blog post. I'm particularly looking forward to Biodome and OpenGL/Direct3D11.
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Jekt wrote: »
    What I personally want to read about is if Sewlek has taken the design helm of NS2 and how the balance mod is going to be assessed and implemented into the game.

And the rest of what he said, but primarily this. The balance mod is a lot of fun right now, and though it still has its problems the general consensus is that it's more fun than the live vanilla game. There's a lot of hope pointed Sewlek's way and it will be interesting to see how his changes are worked into NS2.

That Biodome corridor looks nice too.
  • FrizzlecatFrizzlecat Join Date: 2013-03-07 Member: 183752Members
    Well, couple of things.

1) I want to see the NS2 tourney scene grow, not shrink and disappear.

2) While I initially thought that some sort of crowd-funding would be a good idea, like a Kickstarter for a tournament, I think I've changed my mind. If the crowd effectively "owns" a portion of the tournament, then people are just going to get even more pissed off when UWE does something like face painting Hugh, and in this instance, UWE would have to seriously listen to those complaints, because the viewers would think they're paying for the tournament, and think they can dictate the format. You'd have to put up with some shit from the crowd if the crowd is helping you to fund something.

3) If we, the crowd, are contributing finances to a tournament, then I don't want to see sponsors or brands. Seriously. I'd be paying to help and also to not be advertised to. However, I understand that there may need to be a fine balancing act, between getting finances from UWE, sponsors, and the crowd.

4) Someone mentioned something along the lines of "Whatever the crowd pays, UWE will match it, which will hopefully be enough for the tournament". Well, again, here, the crowd becomes 50% share holder, and opinionated. And if the crowd don't fund enough, even with UWE's match, then sponsors will need to make up the difference. Sponsors are pretty opinionated, too.

Okay, so that's four things.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Res wrote: »
    Just one complaint.

In that whole 2 minute video summing up the event, there was absolutely no mention of Bonkers.

who is bonkers?

Also, the progress on the multi-platform work is great to hear. I know quite a few people have been waiting for the Linux server release and a Linux client would be an awesome bonus with Steam going Linux too.
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Jekt wrote: »
    What I personally want to read about is if Sewlek has taken the design helm of NS2 and how the balance mod is going to be assessed and implemented into the game.

See at 1:22 -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=8CrFkNxMy3Q#t=81s

and
    CyberKun wrote: »
    I like how every single balance change is from Sewlek's mod.
    Well, that makes sense, seeing as how Andi "Sewlek" is currently handling the design side of NS2.

--Cory

We already know about that. If we are going to complain about this post can we complain about things that are actually in the post instead of what isn't.

• VenatosVenatos Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149762Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    it was a eventfull month for sure. the modjam was great, the NSL Cup Final might not have been worth it financialy, but it got over 150k viewers so it definately got the word out. in hinsight i have to agree with some of the comments that it might have been a little much coverage of the sidelines. some more analysis of playerpositioning and a playerinterview now and then would have been nice.

im not sure if crowdfunding a cup with big finale is even possible, i doubt it to be honest. im also aware that UWE simply can not fund such events by itself so im hoping for asus or logitec to jump in.
  • AegisXIAegisXI Join Date: 2012-02-11 Member: 144985Members
    I hope the new map is good... I hated Descent
  • simbasimba Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151628Members
    We need to see Sharon more often.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Venatos wrote: »
    im not sure if crowdfunding a cup with big finale is even possible, i doubt it to be honest. im also aware that UWE simply can not fund such events by itself so im hoping for asus or logitec to jump in.
    Sounds like someone needs to start a kickstarter and/or indiegogo campaign.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Bonus points as always for any attempt to inform the community with actual info instead of nonsense. (which many bigger companies tend to do.) Always a plus. :)

* Stability & performance increases? Good, keep going at it. The more the better.
    * SDK improvement & engine improvement is not only good for the community & platform support (allowing more sales).. also a higher chance other companies want to take the engine into licence?
    I hope DX11 on windows systems also will improve performance on DX11 cards. (No I have 0 clue about programming to back this hope up haha)
    * Sales per country are fun to know but in the end I dont truly care. Although it does explain why I see more active french & german servers rather then UK. Damnit, I don't speak german or fresh. XD
    As a side note.. How are translations going? I prefer to play in english language, but the keyword in the sentence is "I".

* New maps? Awesome.. New stuff is always fun. Completely different art look, which hopefully, will still fit? Even better.
    As a side note, and I said this before... each map at the moment is a mod. The mod list ingame is just horrible if you have to many. Split it up in tabs for material, models, maps etc.
    If you come across maps community made which you think really bring the NS2 feel, promote them in menu to suggest us to start playing them. (I would only do this for maps, let us explore other mods on our own)
    Perhaps make a new server option to automaticly workshop download 'suggested' maps? Administrators can set a preference if they want this or not.
    Keeps it new & fresh.

* pax was ok to watch.
    * The finals were fun to watch for the fights. The filler material was boring, although I do understand. Best to use different more community focussed filler. (May even be cheaper?)
    Now the game went from mod to well.. game.. it will feel odd to ask the community for money support. I would add to the suggestion to not do it. Im not to worried about such support as a old constellation, but it feels the game should be good enough to keep it afloat on itself rather then events such as this.
    I would definately like to see more of such tournaments for the fights, but the other stuff is perhaps overdoing it untill uwe has grown stronger on the income.
    I am ok with the idea of the community helping in funding more finals/events sort of if the community gets a bigger say in such events. (although to be fair, I doubt id do it myself every time either hehe)
    Sponsors are definately your best goal here in my eyes but as my knowhow on the subject is limited, I shant fake to be knowledgable.

* modjam, nothing but good. I can only see gains here.

ezay wrote: »

Why do I have the feeling my post would "contribute something" had it been "I LOVE NS2" ?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2013

Why do I have the feeling my post would "contribute something" had it been "I LOVE NS2" ?
    ...because that edited post was indeed an awe inspiring example of a very well thought out contribution to the thread...

Git out of here :D
    So if a post has to be a "very well thought out contribution to the thread" to exist; how do you justify your last post ?

Hah, paradoxes, you know.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    So if a post has to be a "very well thought out contribution to the thread" to exist; how do you justify your last post ?

Nope, I never said a post has to contribute something specifically to the thread. I was just pointing out the irony in your post for shitNgiggles. The general consensus is it has to contribute at least something instead of just random Fbombs borderlining on flamebaiting... The devs?
  • angelousangelous Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184073Members, WC 2013 - Silver
    I still think the main problem is that UWE listens most to Experienced players.

Also agree, the filler in the Final was a bit too much, the cast was like 4hrs long? what would've happened if they wet to 9 matches? As somebody said, probably it would've been nice to have some balance with game analysis and talking to the players than some of the stuff that happened (N.B. some of the filler material was nice, but think it was a little too much)

About the post: Thanks UWE for updating us on what's happening, I'm a sucker for graphs and information, so I do like the sales figures (a bit dubious that you didn't show numbers in them graphs....) Wish there where more native Spanish speaking players in NS2, half a billion of us in the world and rarely do I ever see another one.
    Kouji_San wrote: »

Nope, I never said a post has to contribute something specifically to the thread. I was just pointing out the irony in your post for shitNgiggles. The general consensus is it has to contribute at least something instead of just random Fbombs borderlining on flamebaiting... The devs?

Sooo .. If I'm not happy with something and express it, I am therefore "flamebombing"/"flamebaiting" on the devs ? We're back on what I said: why do I get the feeling only praises are allowed again ?

angelous wrote: »
    Wish there where more native Spanish speaking players in NS2, half a billion of us in the world and rarely do I ever see another one.
    YANA: http://www.mendasp.net/
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2013
    I don't know what all the complaining about the news post is about; I assume information about future changes will be released when they are more finalized. What is, and what isn't, implemented from the balancemod into the main game is as far as I know entirely up in the air at the moment.

I was, however, very disappointed with the highlights video from the nsl final. Just like the stream, the majority of it holds little to no interest for people interested in competitive ns2. The video made for the previous event was far better, because at least it contained mostly interesting frags and gameplay moments. This was just bleh, even the little gameplay it actually showed was irrelevant.

Still waiting for the last four rounds from the tournament to be posted in better quality on youtube.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Supernorn wrote: »
    image here

Man, when I post an awesome image, it gets deleted with "THIS IS NOT AN IMAGE BOARD" as the reason, kind of annoyed about that now.
    Kouji_San wrote: »

Sooo .. If I'm not happy with something and express it, I am therefore "flamebombing"/"flamebaiting" on the devs ? We're back on what I said: why do I get the feeling only praises are allowed again ?
    That's just it though, you were just flamebombing (I like that term). You're allowed to disagree and post about it all you want (even if it is silly as hell). However posts which are mostly acidic in nature will get... Bombed into oblivion, simple as that...

And as such I'm done trying to explain this any further, as the deed is done. I hand the topic over to you guys. Have at ye :P
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Supernorn wrote: »
    image here

Man, when I post an awesome image, it gets deleted with "THIS IS NOT AN IMAGE BOARD" as the reason, kind of annoyed about that now.

It's half-and-half. The trick is to make it funny enough that even the mods like it. Or when they aren't in a bad mood. (They usually are :P .)