State of the Game: April 2013 - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited April 2013 in NS2 General Discussion

imageState of the Game: April 2013 - Natural Selection 2

Time flies by faster than you can read a terrible metaphor at the start of a video-game-development blog post. In just six days, it will be the six month anniversary of the release of Natural Selection 2. Half a year of leg-chomping glory – Just the beginning. April was a mad month: So much happened since the March State of the Game.

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Bump to open comment thread! This is a big post guys, with lots of feedback requested and things to discuss. Let's try to stay on topic, and not throw in opinions before actually reading! :)
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    i appreciate the updates.
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Sweet Jesus, dat biodome screenshot. I think i creamed myself
  • Cat-PokerCat-Poker Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156670Members
    With the imminent launch of Build 247
    Patch coming tonight?
  • EgoGamerEgoGamer Join Date: 2012-06-21 Member: 153536Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited April 2013
    While I did love most of the ESL event, I think it would be best take a step back from such big tournaments until NS2 picks up in popularity and some deals are worked out with sponsors to help lessen the cost. You'll never be in profit while funding these tournaments, hell MLG was big money sink until only recently.

Stick with online events for now, and see if Huze can incorporate a 'virtual jersey' into the spectator system to show off sponsors. (An example of a Virtual Jersey)

Just my humble opinion of course, I've no experience with running a tournament. =)
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    Build 247? Aren't we on 245 right now?
  • hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    Cat-Poker wrote: »
    With the imminent launch of Build 247
    Patch coming tonight?
    They said somewhere there would be a patch "late thursday" I believe.
    The better question is, what happened to 246, my game says it's currently on 245 :p

--
    Nice to see the engine/background stuff being improved.
    --
    About the NSL event and such, it hasn't really been utilized effectively. Needs to be planned better, and I guess only a few people who aren't already invested in the game (aka read the forums) even knew it happened, let alone details about the time, twitch stream, etc.
    I think a nice, clear website with all the information, videos, etc would have helped - something you can link people to to get them interested in the first place.
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think to increase the player base, we need to make sure we need prizes for competitive events. Even online events such as Nexzil PG is great. These types of initiatives really get players interested in playing the game. But again these events should be planned in advance and try to reach a greater audience. So that more teams can be involved, more prizes etc.
  • GuspazGuspaz Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2862Members, Constellation
    Idea for funding live tournaments: a running pool. UWE contributes a fixed percentage of NS2 sales (say, 5% of each sale), and pimps donations to the pool during live casts, convincing popular NS2 casters to do the same. The community does their best to promote this as well. When the pool hits a given amount, a live tournament is held at the next opportunity (presumably several months after the pool hits the goal, although you could probably predict when it will reach the goal and begin preparations for the tournament before then), and the pool is reset.
  • 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
    openGL and Linux, both client and server, that's what I took away from that. Don't personally care about anything else.
  • RadmanRadman Join Date: 2013-04-05 Member: 184656Members
    hozz wrote: »
    About the NSL event and such, it hasn't really been utilized effectively. Needs to be planned better, and I guess only a few people who aren't already invested in the game (aka read the forums) even knew it happened, let alone details about the time, twitch stream, etc.

It was linked on the tf2 competitive forums by a tf2 caster and player (http://teamfortress.tv/forum/thread/7086-lets-all-cheer-on-rline-in-natural-selection-2). There's some really stupid criticism in there, just fyi.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Just one complaint.

In that whole 2 minute video summing up the event, there was absolutely no mention of Bonkers.

Other than that, well done! Keep up the great work.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    They said somewhere there would be a patch "late thursday" I believe.
    The better question is, what happened to 246, my game says it's currently on 245 :p
    Err, yea, that's gotta be a typo. Next patch will be 246 :)

And obviously the late Thursday didn't work out.
    Very soon, though.
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    Just one complaint.

In that whole 2 minute video summing up the event, there was absolutely no mention of Bonkers.

who is bonkers?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Build 247? Aren't we on 245 right now?
    True, but this patch is so awesome what with the mod week and stuff it is worth a +2

/me hides
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Res wrote: »
    Just one complaint.

who is bonkers?

The commander of Team Work and Tactics, otherwise known as the Best Commander in Europe.
  • hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    Radman wrote: »

It was linked on the tf2 competitive forums by a tf2 caster and player (http://teamfortress.tv/forum/thread/7086-lets-all-cheer-on-rline-in-natural-selection-2). There's some really stupid criticism in there, just fyi.
    Basically, if the alien that died didn't look like a dog, it was valuable, and if a marine dies with something other than just an assault rifle, it had something valuable.
    Haha.
    This is a pretty awesome description for people who have no prior knowledge of the game.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited April 2013
    Aw, no mention of Sewlek's mod? Eager to find out which changes they are deciding to integrate into the full game first... These planned changes are probably the most exciting and hugest changes to happen for NS 2 since launch!
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    Xarius wrote: »
    Aw, no mention of Sewlek's mod? Eager to find out which changes they are deciding to integrate into the full game first... These planned changes are probably the most exciting and hugest changes to happen for NS 2 since launch!

Sewlek did say he would make another mod to replace the one right now with the changes considered for the vanilla game but was it ever made? This patch might not include any balancing if that's the case.
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Insightful post.

There's gotta be something to do until August/September D:
    Zomb3h wrote: »
    There's gotta be something to do until August/September D:

ya there is, play NS2.
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    edited April 2013
    I appreciate the work UWE put into development but this post really is underwhelming. I was expecting some deep post about the future UWE intends to take the game but all I got was:

* Content patch is 3-4 months away
    * Tiny screenshot of a hallway in biodome
    * No mention of ns2_ellipse. This map has been underwraps for how long?
    * No mention of ns2_veil rework
    * No mention of ns2_refinary rework
    * Dev's thoughts on current balance of game?
    * No official mention of Sewlek taking over design of the game
    * No mention of Sewleks balance changes. This is ultimately the most exciting thing that could come out at the moment
    - Reworked movement code (bhop & reintroduction of a proper walljump mechanic)
    - Possible removal of glancing bite
    - Upgrades tied to CC
    - Removal of Prototype tied to 2nd CC
    - Rework of drifters
    - Hundreds of other possible potential and awesome changes
    * No mention of balance changes at all?

May as well of been a blog post of what UWE is doing in the background, it is not about the 'state of the game' at all. Modweek might of been cool and they might be putting some of into the game "Combat / Survival", but I'm more interested in classic play. ;;)
    edited April 2013
    ..... I was expecting some deep post about the future UWE intends to take the game but all I got was:

...blah
    ...blah
    stuff

It was never intended to be about the direction UWE is heading with the game. ... really don't see how you could have expected that based on the title.

by the way... pretty much everything you listed can just be lumped summed up as "balance or design changes" and not listing every little thing.
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    edited April 2013
    Title = State of the game.

If you don't understand why I would come to those conclusions I CBF explaining it *snip*

*Name calling isn't necessary or accurate. keep it clean -Ironhorse*
    edited April 2013
    Title = State of the game.

If you don't understand why I would come to those conclusions I CBF explaining it *snip*

You missed the word "April" and "State of the game", implies present tense, not future tense.

• ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2013
    *snip*"State of the game" and "April" imply this is what has been done since March, this is where the game is now, and this is where the game is headed for May.
    *snip*

*You will post like a civil human being, or not at all. -Ironhorse *
    edited April 2013
    Scatter wrote: »
    *snip*"State of the game" and "April" imply this is what has been done since March, this is where the game is now, and this is where the game is headed for May.
    *snip*

*You will post like a civil human being, or not at all. -Ironhorse *

You sure are getting a lot of specific information out of such a small title........ .. more like you are adding what you believe it means.

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    It's just past midnight, I've been out listening to a band play, and here I am on the forums before bed. Now, I haven't been drinking water all night. And I'm very, very tired. So its entirely possible my eyes are playing tricks on me. But looks like the last few posts in this thread are petty arguments about preferred semantic interpretations of the title of the article.

Given the amount of information and content in the post, this could not possibly be accurate. Surely no one is going to read about sales, competitive events and whatever else, then go into the comment section and start flaming each other about what they think the title of the post means or should mean.

Now I'm going to go to sleep, and check back on the thread in the morning. I'm confident when I do, there will be a great many thoughtful, considered posts discussing pertinent issues, rather than a flame war.
  • PaniohitusPaniohitus Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168790Members
    Tnx for posting this update of the game. It's clear and nice to read what the status is.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hugh wrote: »
    Now I'm going to go to sleep, and check back on the thread in the morning. I'm confident when I do, there will be a great many thoughtful, considered posts discussing pertinent issues, rather than a flame war.

Sometimes, in the grand scheme of things, I look out into the deep vastness of space, and slowly realize just how small and insignificant my farts are.