Troll factor/clan (?)

Mad selectionMad selection Join Date: 2013-01-01 Member: 176967Members
Some poeples seem to enjoy getting into game and crushing the servers by getting into the comm chair and sell everything, insult everybody, confuse new players into kicking current comm, etc.

Steam is absolutely worthless. They refuse to do a thing unless you give a name but of course all the guys have to do is simply to change their name and boum you can't even report them.

UW need to do something for these guys. They affect 20 players at a time. Peoples leave, others come in without knowing of the situation and you can imagine the rest.

Comments

• ma$$a$$terma$$a$$ter Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165651Members
    Names are useless - always get a NS2ID - open your console with the ~ key
    type SV_STATUS

print that screen. (if you are recording video, make sure you are recording when you open the console and type that in)

Most people will want video , FRAPS is free, and records 30 seconds at a time - these can be uploaded on to free video hosting sites such as youtube.
  • MkollMkoll Join Date: 2013-02-11 Member: 182996Members
    as a former admin for DOD and NS1, for fairly large UK communities back in the day, i have to say that it's the admin's problem, not yours. If you can get hold of the admins, then great; if you can't, just change server. this is bad for the life of the server and ultimately the life of the game but it's also not worth getting stressed over.
  • Mad selectionMad selection Join Date: 2013-01-01 Member: 176967Members
    Thanks for the tips guys. I swear some of these guys seem so dedicated at trolling it's like they are being paid to do it.
  • bEEbbEEb Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149317Members, NS2 Map Tester
    There will always be people like this. Like Mkoll says its the job of the admin to ban or kick the offenders.
  • FuhrerDarqueSydeFuhrerDarqueSyde Join Date: 2004-10-04 Member: 32076Members, Constellation
    Not going to advertise my server but I have already banned quite a few of them and usually keep a pretty vigilant watch over this kind of stuff. I've even went as far as adding a new menu to the web admin for displaying DAK Admin Kit's enhanced logs so our other admins can see when someone mass recycles, spams cysts to waste res, drops lerk egg and 2 whips right away, etc.

Bottom line, the server admins need to handle maintaining order in their servers. Good luck, hopefully you find a server where this isn't happening. :)
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    drops lerk egg and

And this trolling, because...?

• LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Therius wrote: »
    drops lerk egg and

Some people don't think outside the box and consider anything different to be trolling.
  • BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    drops lerk egg and

I've played with the dude in question. He sits in base and asks the comm to drop a lerk egg. If the comm does not, he tells the marines in text chat what the tactics are locations are etc. If you drop it he takes it and then leaves. I played on a server with him for around 2 hours and he kept doing it.

To the OP: Yes I have seen this too and I have in fact submitted a video to IronHorse (I think his name was). I didn't get a reply but I can certainl;y second you in terms of the report - it's the same 2 guys over and over.
  • bEEbbEEb Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149317Members, NS2 Map Tester
    drops lerk egg and

You omitted the part after "and" which was "2 whips". Dropping a lerk egg alone is a viable startegy but that and two whips is just dumb.
  • ma$$a$$terma$$a$$ter Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165651Members
    so lerks ok, whips ok.. but mixing lerks and whips together = trolling?
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Whips at the start of a game is not ok no.
  • FuhrerDarqueSydeFuhrerDarqueSyde Join Date: 2004-10-04 Member: 32076Members, Constellation
    edited April 2013
    you start with 50 res and 1rt, by dropping a lerk egg and 2 whips, you use ALL of your team res and provide no way to now expand and obtain an additional RT. This could severely cripple your team. It depends on if the commander or whoever uses that lerk egg is really good because if you lose that lerk, you just probably lost the game.

Lerk egg alone plus working towards an RT or quick hives are viable strats but to drop a lerk and 2 whips, you're asking for trouble. The argument could be made in its favor but when it happens, I'd like to see how the commander justifies it and handles it to pass my judgement. Chances are he wanted to waste res.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    Not everyone who makes stupid decisions as a commander is a troll.

Case in point (6 min, 52 seconds):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=G-Blw493dRg#t=412s
    I did not say everyone was. What is with all of the selective reading and lack of critical thinking in this thread?
    The argument could be made in its favor but when it happens, I'd like to see how the commander justifies it and handles it to pass my judgement. Chances are he wanted to waste res.

If he justifies it, sure fine. If he just hops in the command chair, drops a lerk egg and 2 whips and then hops out with no explanation to the rest of the team, how are people supposed to take it?