How to start playing competitive games

reichsreichs Join Date: 2005-01-31 Member: 39245Members, Constellation
edited April 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
From some recent forum posts and discussions I've seen on other forums I've noticed that there is an interest from people who mostly play public matches to get into the competitive scene. Yet not many dare to try it out. In my experience this is usually because they overestimate the effort and skill required to play competitive games. I've also failed to find some kind of comprehensive guide for players who wish to try it out. So, as someone who's played ns on and off since at least ns1 patch 1.04 I thought I'd write a simple guide to going competitive in ns2. Hopefully this will convince more public gamers to try competitive games.

The Basics

NS is played with two teams of 6 players. You play one round as each team on every map and usually you play 2 maps, so 4 rounds in total.

The most commonly played maps on competitive games at the moment are (in no specific order):
  • ns2_summit
  • ns2_veil
  • ns2_tram
  • ns2_descent
  • ns2_jambi

These are the maps in the ENSL (we'll get back to ENSL) map rotation and most players stick to them. It should probably be noted that it's usually the NSL verision of the maps that are played. Not the original. The NSL maps have more even lightning across the maps, less holograms etc.

How to learn

As in most games, sports and life in general the best way to get good at something is to imitate people with the skills you want. So streams are always good to watch. Try to see how the marines move. Do they cover each other? When do they enter rooms? What do they shoot? When does the skulk attack? How does the fade move? Those kinds of things.

The same goes for tactics. Watch the buildings being placed, the techs being researched, where the players move in the beginning, when the 2nd hive comes up and so on.

Don't be afraid to try new things, no two teams are identical, what works for them might not work for you. As you get better you will learn to adapt to such things and evolve your own play style. Remember while imitation is good, it probably wont make you better than the guys you are imitating.

There's a great thread on the official forums where you can find a long list of streams, you can find it at: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/125340/the-big-list-of-places-to-watch-competitive-ns2

Gathers

The best way to play is in an organized team, but if you don't have one (yet) or just want to learn form experienced players gathers are wonderful. They are a mix of public and competitive games. All you need to get started is ns2 and a TeamSpeak client. It's also an excellent way to get a feeling for how competitive ns2 games work. If you are interested but not quite ready to join a team, you should at least try a gather. The most common place to organize gathers is at http://www.ensl.org/gathers/latest/45

I've summarized the gather process in a few simple steps:
  • Get an ENSL account
  • Join the gather
  • Wait for it to fill up (loud music will play once it's full)
  • Vote for a team captain (they will pick players into the teams)
  • Join the TeamSpeak
  • Play!

Finding a team

If you don't have 5 friends playing ns2 you can join an other team. The best way to go about this is probably to ask around with different teams and to make posts on the official forums in this thread: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/122700/looking-for-team

There is also a forum on the ENSL webpage that you can try: http://www.ensl.org/forums/11

Both these forums can also be used to find new players to your own team if you have one or are starting one.

ENSL

Speaking of ENSL.. ENSL is a great place to find opponents for practice games. Go through the different teams in the league, begin with the lower div3 teams and work your way up. In each team there's at least one player marked as "leader" or some such, add him to steam and ask if he wants to play.

While your at it you should probably sign up your own team on the ENSL webpage. If you sign up for the league you play 1 game each week against a different team on the ENSL servers. You also get to use the ENSL servers for practice games whenever you want, so you won't need a server of your own.

Another great place to find practice games are on IRC. If you don't know what it is google "mirc how to". Connect to the #ns2.search channel on QuakeNet and write that you're looking for a pcw. Or if you're lazy you can always use http://ns2hub.com/scrim/

Some basic pointers

Don't mindlessly run around the map and try to kill as many enemies as you can. While this will get you mad props and great score on public games it wont win you a competitive game. Killing an enemy is probably not a bad thing to do, but maybe you were needed somewhere else. Make sure you gain something by killing the enemy. Did you deny them a part of the map? Great. Did you save the resource tower (rt)? Great. Try to keep it in mind.

It's also worth noting that 3 marines will easily kill 3 skulks attacking one by one, but will have a very hard time against 3 skulks at once. So make sure to time your attacks as alien and to stick together in groups as marines when you attack.

In the current metagame I'd say there are two general rules in the beginning of the game for each team:
  • As marines push and kill alien rts. Save your own rts but try harder to kill theirs.
  • As alien, do the opposite. Try to protect your rts, don't grab rts you cant protect, having 3 rts until you drop the 2nd hive is plenty. Harass marine rts when you can, but try to save your own instead.

Of course both these rules won't hold true in every game and situation. But it's a good rule of thumb for how to play in the beginning of the round.

So, what are you waiting for?

Comments

• GrayWGrayW UK Join Date: 2009-12-18 Member: 69701Members
    Nice one reichs. Thank you for taking the time to put all that together.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nice job, Plenty of good, usful infomation on their. Expecialy if you are new to competitive and don't know where to start
  • WillzZzWillzZz Join Date: 2013-01-31 Member: 182667Members
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/rns2pugs

That group is a great place to get used to playing in a competitive setting. They'll send out an event most evenings. Just join the www.mumble.com ip listed on the group, head to the "ready room" on mumble, and wait for teams to be picked. It's a good alternative to gathers if there is no one queueing up or you're finding them too difficult.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thanks man. I've become increasingly interested in comp play after watching a bunch of streams. I'll have to try out a few gathers, and who knows, maybe after that join a team. Do you happen to know if there's much demand for comms out there? I play comm most of the time, I'm not as valuable on the field as in the chair (though I'm trying to get better!)
  • WillzZzWillzZz Join Date: 2013-01-31 Member: 182667Members
    If you want to comm it's sometimes tough finding a comm for reddit pugs. You'd be very welcomed there if you comm often :D
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    WillzZz wrote: »
    If you want to comm it's sometimes tough finding a comm for reddit pugs. You'd be very welcomed there if you comm often :D

Oh really? I'll have to check out the group then! I've been looking to take my game to the next level but it's kind of impossible on pubs when half of your players just sort of go where they feel like going :/ Thanks!
  • reichsreichs Join Date: 2005-01-31 Member: 39245Members, Constellation
    edited April 2013
    For Europeans I can also recommend the NS2redditEU steam group. They do pugs some nights as well as daily public games. Usually the skill level is pretty high (compared to public) on the server and most people cooperate.

Thanks for the sticky btw!
  • Wentfor10Wentfor10 Join Date: 2013-06-18 Member: 185603Members
    I just know when I start to play a new game, I always become clumsy.
    With more and more practice, it will be more better. ^_^