"Downloading Mods"

NoranNoran Join Date: 2013-04-22 Member: 184941Members
I'm going to try and make this a clear and concise as possible, lol.

I went to go try and play NS2 today like I've done 1000 other times, well.. every server I joined got the "Downloading Mods" screen stuck. Even when I created a listen server.
So I went searching the internetz for awnsers and tryied every last one.

A) Verify Cache (done)
B) Delete all ns2 files under appdata (done)
C) Unsubscribe to all mods (done)
Ca) Thats when I found out that all my mods related to the e_X_o, e_X_m, etc had been removed from the workshop completely

None of those worked.. so I deleted all data and reinstalled the whole damn game.
What would you know.. Still got stuck on "Downloading Mods".

(keep in mind I have checked this 3 times.. I have NO subscribed mods and NO mods in the workshop folder at this point)

I think this error is on steams end as I have tried everything possible short of reinstalling steam.

So i looked in the log file and found this:

Date: 04/22/13
Time: 13:32:03
Build 245
Steam initialized
Render Device: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti (9.18.13.1422)
Sound Device: Speakers (G510 Gaming Keyboard) stereo
Record Device: Microphone (G510 Gaming Keyboard)
Error: Mod wasn't available
Loading config://ConsoleBindings.json
Loading config://FavoriteServers.json
Main Menu Initialized at Version: 245
Steam Id: 32076367
Connecting to server 66.151.138.182:27085
Downloading mods
Finished downloading and installing mods
Error: Attempted to load remote options from a file that does not exist.

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2013
    "Downloading mods" can be server side as well, so not having mods yourself installed yourself, can still cause you to download server side mods. Which mods does it list on the loading screen? Also does this happen on the UWE servers?

"Error: Mod wasn't available"

Leads me to believe the workshop is having issues right now :(
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2013
    Yep, i think it was an steam issue. I hate workshop sometimes.

As im sure you signup for some mods this should help:
    Delete your signups, so the game wont try to download the mods after deleting the appdata workshopfiles
  • BoBiNoUBoBiNoU Join Date: 2007-12-27 Member: 63274Members
    I get an error code 16 all the freaking time I connect to a modded server.
    I dont know what to do to fix this and since I cant avoid modded servers thanks to the last update it adds another layer of frustration to the game.
  • repcommandorepcommando Join Date: 2013-03-29 Member: 184526Members
    I think this is a major problem.
    I cant even play on unmodded servers now. I have deleted all mods, verified game cache integrity, deleted local content and then re downloaded the game (Twice) and NOTHING is working to fix this.
    I join any server and I am stuck on the downloading mods... screen
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Have you tried changing your steam download server through steam settings?
    Try changing it to a different region.
    Then unsubscribe from all mods in the ingame options menu.
    Then exit ns2 and manually delete the whole workshop folder in your hidden Appdata folder.

Now try it again.
    Sometimes steam servers dont play well with workshop. (it is a new, growing infrastructure )
  • repcommandorepcommando Join Date: 2013-03-29 Member: 184526Members
    Yes I have changed everything that you have suggested, there are no changes to joining any servers, still downloading mods...
  • rwsrws Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2013-01-05 Member: 177696Members
    Has anyone tried restarting Steam after they delete their Workshop folder in AppData?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    That error is supposedly from you subscribed to mods that no longer exist.
    triple check/ ensure you aren't subscribed to anything through workshop
  • benoveerbenoveer Join Date: 2013-04-23 Member: 184950Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    i having the same problem and nothing seems to work
  • SamarutoSamaruto Join Date: 2013-04-23 Member: 184953Members
    Same problem too... :(
  • BartekBartek Join Date: 2013-04-25 Member: 184981Members
    edited April 2013
  • BartekBartek Join Date: 2013-04-25 Member: 184981Members
    edited April 2013
  • mechtechmechtech Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172376Members
    edited April 2013
    Every time I try and join a server it hangs on the "downloading mods" step of the loading screen.

I don't really feel like spending time troubleshooting an already very buggy game... I guess I'll just quit playing and come back in a few months.

If anyone has a clear solution to this, feel free to contribute.

edit: against my better judgement I spent some time looking for solutions. If you go into console and type "disconnect", and then go to the mods section within NS2, there will be mods listed with the name "@yy". If you repeat this process a few times, the list of "@yyy" mods will continue to grow, until eventually you will see one that is marked "subscribed". If you uncheck that "@yy" mod, you will then be able to enter the server. Unfortunately, it seems like you have to repeat this process for every server that you wish to join. The problem seems to be caused by an error message from the console that reads "this mod is not available in steam workshop". I have no idea why this problem started to happen for me, but it leaves the game almost unplayable. If a normal gamer were to get this error, they would probably just uninstall and call it a broken game/waste of money... so I'd say it's a serious bug that needs to be looked at.
    @mechtech should *should* be fixed for next patch.
    Also if you looked 3 posts prior before posting someone else listed that fix already :)
  • mechtechmechtech Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172376Members
    IronHorse wrote: »
    @mechtech should *should* be fixed for next patch.
    Also if you looked 3 posts prior before posting someone else listed that fix already :)

Thank you for the confirmation that you are aware of this and it's being patched!

I was actually checking in one last time before uninstalling... I can't seem to get into any servers reliably because of this issue. Again, I appreciate the dev feedback :)