Can't hear myself when I look up

Player_2Player_2 Join Date: 2013-04-14 Member: 184811Members
This is the weirdest bug I have encountered in any game. When I am looking up (above horizontal / 180 degrees) I can't hear myself walking, myself gorge healing spray, myself spiking, or myself using a railgun. Also when I look up as a marine, I can't hear a skulk if he is directly behind me biting at my feet, even if he IS biting. Everything else I can hear normally.

How am I supposed to go about fixing this?

Comments

• KopungaKopunga Join Date: 2013-01-10 Member: 178764Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    check your sound setup (in windows) does it match your speakers? (2.1 5.1 7.1 stereo etc)
    i had sth quite simmilar, i was unable to hear me when looking straight ahead. i always had to look sideways to hear my sounds.
  • AdambeanAdambean Cardiff, South Wales Join Date: 2005-06-03 Member: 53038Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    ^ that.

If you're using stereo headphones and Windows is telling your sound card to output in 4.1/5.1/7.1 channel surround you will start to miss out on rear/side sounds.

NS2 does need some tweaking with its' sound origins though. Some sounds play behind you when they shouldn't.
  • FarrenFarren Join Date: 2005-03-13 Member: 45065Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    To add to the above, I switched Windows sound from my usual 5.1 (headset) to quadrophonic to watch a movie with someone else, and it took me a week to remember / realize what was causing my sound issues.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Sort of related, but does anyone know why every sound type has a .1 after it? 5 speakers, 5.1, 7 speakers, 7.1. WHY!? (I'm sure there's a good reason...)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    5/6/7 surround speakers and 1 subwoofer

x.1 :P
  • KopungaKopunga Join Date: 2013-01-10 Member: 178764Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    well or ofc 2.1 just stereo + subwoofer ;)
    and as you know by now, 2.0 is plain stereo w/o subwoofer