Youtube throttling (might be old news to some)

GeminosityGeminosity :3 Join Date: 2003-09-08 Member: 20667Members
Heya folks,

My youtubes has been a bit sluggish as of late and today, after it being exceptionally bad, I googled potential problems up.
Interestingly, it seems some ISPs are throttling the heck out of sites like youtube and vimeo and so I followed a guide to firewall the IP that was doing it and voila: youtube now loads considerably quicker for me :o

Here's the guide: http://mitchribar.com/2013/02/time-warner-cable-sucks-for-youtube-twitchtv/ (there's a windows link near the bottom of the article, i think the directions on that page are for the MAC but it explains the problem in more detail here so that's why i linked it :3 )

Again, it might be old news for some but it's news to me so I thought I'd share it :D

Comments

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    Although normally I hear about this stuff this is indeed news to me, and thank you - YouTube has been loading like crap for me int he last few weeks.
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    I saw that a little while ago and was insanely happy with the fix as well.
  • GeminosityGeminosity :3 Join Date: 2003-09-08 Member: 20667Members
    Cool, I'm just glad I wasn't the only one who found this useful. Nobody seems to have ever mentioned it to me so I was a lil surprised :3
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    Wow yeah. This was pissing me off just this past week. Thanks for posting this, fixed it all up.
    TWC sucks.
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    Ah nice find, Gem!

I was totally bamboozled as to why my 4MB/s fibre optic connection could download a Steam game in 30mins but youtube couldn't stream in HD real time. Will give this a try!
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    edited April 2013
    This... actually explains a lot. I've been trying to figure out why my 50mbps connection couldn't consistently handle a 720p stream from Twitch, and their player app kept complaining that my video buffer kept emptying, and I should pick a lower rate.
    Yes, this is for Mac. Linux guys should be able to adapt it though without a problem, for obvious reasons.

Now I just have to wonder if they're doing the same with content being SENT to Twitch; would explain why I've had to back off my streaming settings so severely to get a consistent stream without (many) frame-drops.

(edit) For those who don't want to bother translating it, here's the two you need; trying to figure out if this will work for NAT/ipmasq, but it's been a very long time since I've hashed on table rulesets.

sudo iptables -A INPUT -s 173.194.55.0/24 -j DROP
    sudo iptables -A INPUT -s 206.111.0.0/16 -j DROP
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    Uhhh the windows guide seems to work aswell :)
  • Konohas Perverted HermitKonohas Perverted Hermit Join Date: 2008-09-26 Member: 65075Members
    Open Terminal?... Lol lost me XD
  • GeminosityGeminosity :3 Join Date: 2003-09-08 Member: 20667Members
    konoha, assuming you're on windows like myself follow these instead: http://mitchribar.com/2013/02/how-to-stop-youtube-sucking-windows-guide/

I only linked the mac one because it has a link to the windows one on it and explains what's going on roughly :3
  • Konohas Perverted HermitKonohas Perverted Hermit Join Date: 2008-09-26 Member: 65075Members
    Thanks but it did nothing for me, heh.