Xenoswarm - callout for mappers!

MCMLXXXIVMCMLXXXIV Join Date: 2010-04-14 Member: 71400Members
edited April 2013 in Mapping
Hot off the announcement of our new mod, Xenoswarm, this is a callout for mappers. Currently we have some maps by Jibrail and Twostroker in development, and it should be possible to convert some existing maps to work with our NPC code but if anyone is looking to make a map let me know and I’ll hook you up with our latest test code. Just let either myself, JimWest or Jibrail know and we should be able to offer you support to get your map off the ground.

Anyone wanting to just try out some of the new features can just load up Extra Entities and plop down some npc spawners. I plan to write some good instructions or a tutorial in here in the next couple of days...

Comments

• WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    To help this request along.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PvFRQnSRnnI

I'd like to mock something up for you.
    But there is not much infomation about the mod to go on.

Have you a server running it so I can get an idea for how the mod plays ?
    Basic Game rules ?
    Known issues eg: NPC don't like height changes, Crates blocking hallways ? etc etc
    can the NPC use vents ?
    Do maps need check points thats disable NPC spawns. eg: Left 4 Dead.

So sign me up I'd like to help.
  • MCMLXXXIVMCMLXXXIV Join Date: 2010-04-14 Member: 71400Members
    edited April 2013
    @WorthyRival thanks for getting back to me! I'll try and answer each individually here. I'll also send you a PM and tell you how to get set up. We don't run a permanent server but we do run a weekly playtest on Tuesdays at 9pm CET, so if you can make that you can see the latest test code with us...

Basic Game rules ?
    Everyone joins team 1 and the game starts after a certain amount of time. Marines begin at their command chair and walk down a predetermined route. The mapper can add waypoints which show up on the marines' HUD to guide them along. For the marines, standard combat rules apply (no infantry portals, gain XP for killing, buy upgrades and weapons with the XP you've earned).

Power nodes begin in an offline state so you can place nodes along the route that marines need to turn on (and also trigger logic when they build a node), but you can equally specify that lights should stay on all the time in your map settings on a node-by-node basis.

The player's speed and jump height is higher so some consideration may need to be made for that (arcade-ey might be the appropriate word). Another thing to consider is that we've made it so that marines can outrun skulks now if they buy the right upgrades, but it costs a lot of XP to do that!

The support class can place buildings, so you need to mark out any areas you don't want to allow building placement.

Also, the marines have access to a magnet boots ability and jetpacks that enables them to walk in all kinds of strange places, so we're going to make a way for you to block off player access to areas they shouldn't go :]

Currently, we have entities that allow you to define an end point for the map. By that I mean you can reach a spot on the map and the map will switch to another (predefined) map (to allow some kind of campaign system) or you just win the game and the round restarts. I'd imagine we'll make a cutscene option at some point too.

How NPCs work
    The current system (though this may change before release) is that the mapper places npc_wave_spawner entities at various points, which are responsible for emitting skulks, gorges, fades etc. based on triggers on the map. E.g. player walks through a door or a new area. It's also possible to define a slow trickle of constant enemies that can attack the players if they get too slow :].

Each wave spawner has a waypoint associated with it so you can give the NPCs an initial direction to head in, or you can just have them stand around and they will wait there in position until a player comes near. For performance reasons it's much better to spawn the NPCs just as they are needed, rather than way in advance of the marines reaching an area.

In addition to the wave spawners, there is a new gamepicker entity that you need to place on the map, which tells our mod that it needs to activate (otherwise something close to standard Marine vs Alien combat rules apply instead). We'll add some more options to that entity in the near future, allowing you to set optional time limits etc.

NPC don't like height changes
    NPC's currently have a problem with slopes over 45 degrees, but we're working on a fix for that. I'm not sure about the crates because so far most of our test maps have been relatively open (and spookily dark), but we can put some on a test map and see if we need to fix that too.

can the NPC use vents?
    As long as the pathing system can handle it, I don't see why not. You would have to define a slightly larger area outside the visible area of the vent that allows the npc_wave_spawner to actually find room to emit the skulks...

Do maps need check points that disable NPC spawns. eg: Left 4 Dead?
    Entirely up to you. You are in complete control of how and when the the NPCs spawn, using the logic system from Extra Entities mod.

@JimWest has made a couple of development test maps and is now working on an example test map that just gives a really simple example of what entities you need to place and where, so if I've missed anything here I'm sure he can fill you in. I'll add you to the steam group and that should make it easier to keep in touch.
  • draktokdraktok Join Date: 2013-02-18 Member: 183156Members
    edited April 2013
    Would it be possible to set up a "base defense" kind of mod with these settings? I don't really know how you'd handle waves to get more difficult, though, I suppose.
    Can you define the wave spawn as a number of deaths? IE after 10 skulks die, play this event.

Is it possible to create more unique upgrades not in line with the base game?
    Or perhaps classes?
    A builder class, an assault class, i fire bug class...
    mmmm i love me some base defense

Also- I'm in.
    edited April 2013
    Yes base defence is another scenario we've considered. Hit me up on steam and I'll add you to our group!

You've hit the nail on the head with the wave spawning. The current system goes:
    • Mapper places one of many npc_wave_spawner entity where this sub-wave should start
    • Mapper places a trigger for starting the wave spawner, either a logic trigger, physical trigger or a timer
    • The trigger sets off the wave spawner entity via logic
    • X Waves of life form Y are spawned around the spawner entity using standard Combat spawn logic. The next wave spans T seconds after the last one.
    • The spawner entity can be used to trigger further logic after all waves have spawned.
    • With this system you can set up multiple mini-waves and then chain logic together to form a base defence mode. Randomness can be achieved using one of JimWest's new randomiser entities.
    Whats your steam name? I added a MCMLXXXIV... don't know if that was you or not.

I'm known as Apathetic Super Hero on steam.
  • DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
    I really like this concept, if I wasn't in the middle of other projects I'd get started on something now. As it is I'd like to play an example map and get a good feel for it before hashing out a layout. The other thing is I played with the bot AI recently and it will need some work to test a map properly for this (e.g. will AI marine bots follow the players? Will npc aliens seek out players or just run to waypoint and mess around?)

One thing not really mentioned in this thread is how long it should take a team to progress through the map. This will be pretty easy to time given the spawn entities, but will it take 5 min, 10 min? Do players respawn if they are killed or just wait until round is over?

Being able to trigger another map is cool, I like the idea of the round restarting if the team failed, but moving to another map if they succeeded.
    edited April 2013
    @Draktok: The easiest way to find me is via my workshop collection I think (See sig below).

@DarkSeraph: Regarding AI logic most of it is done via a combination of waypoints and attack priorities. We're still working on that logic but it gets better each build. The closest approximation is like an "attack move" in an RTS game.

Players currently respawn back at base if they are killed. No IP is required. You only lose the game if your CC Is destroyed right now. I think we'll implement a forward spawn point entity (again, triggered by logic) once we have more of the infrastructure in place.

In terms of progress through the map, it shouldn't take that long. We're thinking typical map game times of 5-10 mins but it depends on the scenario. Base defence maps could go on forever if the mapper chooses!
  • WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    MCMLXXXIV I've built a very basic map (greybox) to get an idea of how the NPC spawn waves work.
    * Using combat mod to test it as I don't have the xwarm mod, so i'm not sure if your mod is better optimised. NPC wave spawn is a lot of fun, mind you the game clunks very quickly when I spawn lots of NPC's :) I'm sure with more testing of the wave spawner I can find a happy medium.

Do you guys already have a wave spawn optimal setting that works best ?
    For 1 Marine ?
    Wave spawn 2 NPC's at a time ? 3 Second intervals ? for 10 waves ?
    For 4 Marines
    Wave spawn 6 NPC's at a time ? 4 Second intervals ? for 30 waves ?

Don't spawn more than 30 NPC'c on the map at anyone time ?

My rig starts to clunk a few minutes in mostly because the NPC's get caught on way points if I wave spawn large groups at a time they get stuck on one another and build up to ridiculous number of NPC's on the map.

I've a few ideas for work arounds. just need testing. but in the mean time if you already know of some tricks to use and pitfalls to avoid any infomation will be useful.

Have you plans for a NPC counter that pauses all waves when a NPC limit is reached for optimial playability ?
    The hard limit on NPCs is a good idea. I think we can implement that easily.
    In terms of how to most efficiently limit the waves yourself, hook up the output from one wave spawner to the input from another. I think at some point we'll make it so you can have it that this logic only triggers when every spawned NPC from that spawner has died or something like that.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=112275544

i reckon this map would work very well because the marines start in a base that is connected to a bunker - feel free to edit and put in your wave spawn entities - i dont ns2 installed so cbf. but feel free to do whatever you like to it :)
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    He's alive!
    Such a pity you dont have ns2 installed anymore if for just the editor. :(
    Anyway, this looking like its gunna be fun, May the god of the modders bring you swift success and bugreports.
    edited April 2013
    The map looks great! As all the hard work of actually creating a map is already done, I'll add the wave spawners when I have some time... Is it okay if I post another version on the workshop?
    No idea how hard it would be to mod or if it's even possile ? - attach the attack waypoint to a marine ?
    Would NPC's then hunt marines down where ever they are ?
    I'll talk to jim - I think we can definitely do that. The AI could be made to 'see through walls' and path to the nearest marine if we add a new setting on the npc_wave_spawners.
  • JimWestJimWest Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69865Members, Reinforced - Silver
    So if you give them a waypoint, they will attack everything on their way.

If you want to give them directly the "attack player" order, I can add that easily.
    Actually, I've got a function like that for the waypoint "weld".

You can specifiy the type of waypoint in the logoic_waypoint. Acutally only move or weld, will just add attack and the waypoint will search the nearest target to itself and bots will hunt it :-).
    This is sounding more and more fun :d
  • DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
    draktok wrote: »
    This is sounding more and more fun :d

In general the concept is pretty awesome. If it were easier to port maps to Spark it would be so fun to port Left 4 Dead maps over & set up the triggers for it.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited April 2013
    Don't forget to add a sleep mode if no enemy is next to them ^^ (hydra and mines got that.)
    Mod sounds very fun, i like coop, would be a very good alternative to pvp.
    I would love to see new weapons and enemys, that would be great!
  • Vladimir Van VodkaVladimir Van Vodka Sexy Beast Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73364Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    This looks amazing and very promising, I love the idea of a run and gun gamemode, if you feel like (or drastically need) practicing shooting aliens, this seems like the way to go.

I just hope you guys keep improving the AI until it's up to par with the TF2 bots AI;
    as in they will eventually emulate most of an actual human player's functions. As.... errrr... non-humanely possible.
    A little taste of the map I'm working on.
    It's looking really good - hopefully we can sort out those issues with waypoint stacking this week which will help a lot...
  • FunkyFungusFunkyFungus Join Date: 2003-09-09 Member: 20691Members
    very interesting :)
    can you make a editor setup guide ? so more people can start experimenting :)
  • JimWestJimWest Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69865Members, Reinforced - Silver
    edited April 2013
    Check out the extra entities thread,
    I've written a small tutorial for setting up the editor there (the ai code is in that mod)

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/123297/extraentitiesmod/p1
    "How to use the entities?"
    @FunkyFungus add me on steam and I'll try and help you out too. We're trying to give personal support to mappers who want to try out making a xenoswarm map.
  • FunkyFungusFunkyFungus Join Date: 2003-09-09 Member: 20691Members
    thx too both of you :D
    By the way, to everyone making maps, we've found a good naming convention.
    Please name your Xenoswarm maps like so:
    ns2_xs_<mapname>

So for example, ns2_xs_vents or ns2_xs_blackmesa...
    Also I will be posting a proper mapping guide in a few days. We're just working on setting up a wiki so mappers can share good ideas and patterns with each other without clogging up the forum.
  • salvadorjersalvadorjer Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163138Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Sent PM, i'd love to help out.
    edited August 2013
    Hey guys,

I thought I'd re-bump this thread now the mod is out. We're still looking for mappers, specifically people who can make some levels with either an 'Escape from the aliens' scenario or a 'Defend your base from waves of aliens' scenario. It's possible that one of the 'last stand' maps would be a good starting point for this.

Another thing we've been having good success with is carving up an existing ns2 map, plugging some doors and creating a linear 'kill the hive' game mode with that.

Mr.P and his team of octagenarian gamers has kindly set us up with a wiki, which I'll be updating next week with details on the new map entities and how to use them. The guide above is still accurate and there are some examples of some of the most important entities in the map that comes bundled with the mod - 'ns2_npc_test'.
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    I've always thought this is a very cool mod. Adding functional NPC aliens opens up some really interesting possibilities. I would love to get involved but sadly I only have time for one map. Maybe once my map is finished I will have a go. Keep up the great work.