Damage numbers for health/armour

meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
I find it really awkward having to try and estimate based on random bits and pieces I've picked up on the damage types and ratios of armour damage soaking, to figure out how much REAL, tangible damage I've done to the enemy. I mean, I get by but it seems like this information should be available as currently, although you see how much overall damage your attack does, it makes the damage types and armour absorbtion seem like hidden variables... And this is not what UWE want, right?
So, instead of the current number pop-up, have it like-
hpa.png

Comments

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    A single number is way easier to read and process, especially if you know the total hp (that's HIT POINTS) of the enemy you are hitting, eg. fade with carapace, 450 hit points.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I agree that single numbers are easier to read, but at the moment the damage number you're given has a pretty variable relationship to the actual damage you do to the HP. It's this kind of thing that reduces the accessibility of the game to new players.
  • sigmadeltasigmadelta Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184861Members
    As much as I love the idea, the single number seems more balanced. It conceals whether or not the aliens/marines have their armour upgrades yet, which is kinda what happens already and means the other team has to figure it out through teamwork etc.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    You can find out what level armor marines have by having the alien comm click on a marine and read his health, you can see what upgrades aliens have the same way or by finding a carapace shell.
  • TinkerTinker Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14395Members
    I wouldn't want to see 2 numbers popping in combat but I wouldn't mind if the number that appeared was dmg after armor instead of before. So a pistol on shot on an armored skulk would show <10 dmg and and unarmored would show the full 10. It would help give new players a feel for which weapons are better against armored opponents.
  • Reason85Reason85 Join Date: 2013-04-21 Member: 184928Members
    I love the idea in what the result you are going for is, but i agree with everyone else that i think multiple numbers no matter if they are color coded or not would end up being to much info/spam. I think ghost pretty much laid out why the current situation/method is the best we have at the moment. Maybe in plainer English (no bias, any language just used English cause its what we are writing in) explain what each weapon does to armor/unarmored targets, but i don't think its something you need to be seeing every time you attack an enemy. Also in the end isn't the only thing that matters is whether or not the target dies or not? Cause lets say you know fade 1 has exactly 22 health and 0 armor left, its not like you are telling your teammate go do 22 health to fade 1, you are telling them fade 1 is low or hurt or full. I sorta feel like we are already giving enemies to much info on how much they are doing when really you shouldn't have a clue how much damage you did or if you even hit the target until it or you die. I think hit markers are a good thing in games in general, but what other game tells you exactly how much you are doing? (fps im talking about here). We probably shouldn't be told how much damage we are doing but they are nice enough to give us that info so lets not push it. I understand this game isn't realistic or going for realism but the current system is good enough and anything more is to much info that you should not know (and don't give me this nano crap :D that is the excuse for everything).