ModJam Day 1: Ideas and Teams - Unknown Worlds

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited April 2013 in NS2 General Discussion

imageModJam Day 1: Ideas and Teams - Unknown Worlds

Games can take a long time to make. Mixing sound, art, gamecode, environments, and user-interfaces is a process that takes lots of time. Natural Selection 2 is a prime example – It took six years to make, and six months since launch UWE is still not done with it!

Read the full story here

Comments

• ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Bump to open the comment thread.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Looks awesome. Hope you get some useful AI code from all this, as well as a much deserved break from all the hubub around NS2.
  • culpritculprit Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33527Members, Constellation
    Really pleased to see UWE take this short side-projects jam to encourage further community modding. Can't wait to play with results.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    I hope these things continue long into the future, because I'm currently learning to program etc but aren't ready yet.
  • angelousangelous Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184073Members, WC 2013 - Silver
    Are we alowed to be part of the test rund for these mods? :D
  • ma$$a$$terma$$a$$ter Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165651Members
    on a serious note, this looks like a ton of fun, and I can't wait to see what comes out of this. Good luck to all the teams!
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    @angelous They may release them for the public for testing during the week. It just depends how the mod is running and what kind of feedback they need. They may not release them till Friday though. Up to each team.
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    Shouldn't uwe continue improving ns2? There is still work to do that can improve the overall experience.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Shouldn't uwe continue improving ns2? There is still work to do that can improve the overall experience.
    It's not like they've said "Sorry guys. NS2 is great, we're going to only mod it from now on." A week may be a long time on the internet. But a week of something like this can supercharge their efforts next week.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Heist sounds like what Payday: The Heist should have been.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    King Eli wrote: »

Burnt out devs are bad devs!
    This. Also, it gives them a good idea of how well the mod tools are working. I wouldn't be surprised if this helps UWE fix bugs/issues with NS2 as they'll be seeing the code from a different perspective.
  • bEEbbEEb Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149317Members, NS2 Map Tester

Booooooooooo!
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    I'm sure they still work on NS2 and then allocate time for this. Besides it should be interesting what they come up with. I think they did the same thing with their game jam. Though I do not think this will assist if they are burnt out as it is still programming and they will probably come across frustrating bugs when developing the mods or might have trouble working out mechanics.
  • A_PajanderA_Pajander Join Date: 2002-12-31 Member: 11695Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013

8 comments. Pretty good, I had my money on <5.
    Squishpoke wrote: »
    Heist sounds like what Payday: The Heist should have been.

Yeah, damn. I bought that game thinking heists and turns out it's actually Payday: The Cop Massacre Simulator.
  • A_PajanderA_Pajander Join Date: 2002-12-31 Member: 11695Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm sure they still work on NS2 and then allocate time for this. Besides it should be interesting what they come up with. I think they did the same thing with their game jam. Though I do not think this will assist if they are burnt out as it is still programming and they will probably come across frustrating bugs when developing the mods or might have trouble working out mechanics.

You'd be surprised: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_Fine_Productions#Amnesia_Fortnight

They basically crunch for two weeks during those and according to Schafer team morale and productivity still goes way up afterwards.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Ive got a bunch of USB controllers that are just dying to be used in some sweet Marine Vs. Fade action
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Also, I prefer peanut butter with my mod jam :)
  • VonDoomVonDoom Knee deep in the latency Join Date: 2009-10-08 Member: 68989Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    FINISH HIM! *marine rips out a fade's spine*
  • Stele007Stele007 Join Date: 2004-07-23 Member: 30063Members
    Last Stand sounds like something I might play regularly. Good luck!
  • Madd0gMadd0g Join Date: 2012-12-24 Member: 176116Members
    Marine vs fade mortal combat?
    MAKE IT HAPPEN!
    Be sure to put in the FINISH HIM sound :D
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    Last Stand sounds like it should be:
    Marines try to hold out for X minutes. If they get killed Y minutes into the game before X is achieved, teams are being swapped and the previous alien team now has to survive longer than Y minutes to win the match.
    If the first team manages to survive for X minutes, teams are swapped and the previous alien team will lose if they can't hold out for X minutes as well. If both teams managed to hold out for X minutes, the team that had more marines alive at the end of their round wins. If those numbers are equal, the team that killed most aliens as marines wins. If those numbers are equal too, the match ends in a draw.
  • NilarNilar Join Date: 2010-06-14 Member: 72058Members
    Great idea! UWE spending time polishing the engine and tooling itself, while recharging their batteries to be able to improve NS2 further next week AND we get new mods to toy around with. Everybody wins!

Also, maybe this might put some focus on that "error code 16" problem that a bunch of us have been having? Please? :)
  • DogbiteDogbite Join Date: 2004-03-14 Member: 27329Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    VonDoom wrote: »
    FINISH HIM! *marine rips out a fade's spine*

This HAS to be done in the hive voice from ns1.

• AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    edited April 2013
    Comprox wrote: »
    ma$$a$$ter wrote: »
    Comprox wrote: »
    Bump to open the comment thread.
    OMG, you stole hugh's job! and in these tough economic times.... for shame...

Fine, next time I'll let Hugh do it and then just lock the post since that is my only job around here :D

A job you often delegate to your minions, including me! :o

Can't wait to play some "Last stand"! :D I loved that gamemode in Left 4 dead and I think it'll be awesome for NS2 as well. Reloading will be more stressful than ever, what with scores of aliens inbound all the time!