ModJam Day 2: The first playtests! - UnknownWorlds

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited April 2013 in NS2 General Discussion

imageModJam Day 2: The first playtests! - UnknownWorlds

Much of day 1 of the UWE ModJam was taken up with picking teams and ideas. Day 2 has been nothing but hardcore development, and pizza. Having settled on their core ideas, each team has set off to realise their vision. Each team has until Friday to get their game working!

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Bump to open comment thread
  • M1sterS1rM1sterS1r Join Date: 2013-02-12 Member: 183014Members
    Nice job guys! I can't wait to see how all three of them come out. The fighting came Im still curious as to how that will work, but hey, seems like it could be awesome! Last Stand, a wave defense NS2 style? HELL YEA! And Heist, there isnt much out about Heist, but damn I hope it's cool. AI and a Vault... Who doesnt like a vault!?
  • dethovudethovu Join Date: 2009-06-23 Member: 67906Members
    This is awesome. What a great way to get out of the weekly mundane and get the creative juices going!

Can't wait to play the results! Heist looks very promising.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    haha wait are these stand alone mods on the engine, or are these mods us the community will be able to use as well via in-game? they all seem cool lol
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Now if one gets tired of Combat AND NS-mode, we have 3 more modes to choose from.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    these sound amazing.
  • RedDogRedDog Las Vegas Join Date: 2013-02-22 Member: 183267Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Really pumped to play Last Stand. I hope you guys realize you'll never stop getting requests to make it official. An official game mode makes for more players and a good PR opportunity, though obviously it would require more work outside the ModJam.

Question: If a marine dies, does he switch to the alien team?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2013
    Zek wrote: »
    Question: If a marine dies, does he switch to the alien team?

I'm definitely poking the devs with sticks to make it so as it adds a lot of suspense and more emphasis on teamwork, keeping your team alive until rescue time :P

On a sidenote, there's three four (perhaps) maps in the works, not two
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Will these be available to us in the end?
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    @xen32 Yes, all the mods will be put up on the steam workshop at the end of the week (and maybe earlier depending on how they are going)
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    I'm looking forward to seeing what this team can do in a week. :)
  • delta78delta78 Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178131Members
    I'm so waiting for the fighting game.

Some questions:

Will we be able to change the characters skins and such? Like putting a skin mod in this mod?

• MCMLXXXIVMCMLXXXIV Join Date: 2010-04-14 Member: 71400Members
    Loving all three! Looking forward to seeing how they all turn out...
  • HypergripHypergrip Suspect Germany Join Date: 2002-11-23 Member: 9689Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    There has to be a golden Gorge statue in the vault!

Looking forward to seeing/playing all 3 mods.
    How will the fighting game handle player count? Simply 2/2 player servers? Or randomly assign pairs in the "ready room", let them all duke it out and then repeat? You could even have a mini tournament where eliminated players watch the other fights until the final has ended.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Hugh wrote: »
    Bump to open comment thread
    Hugh got his job back yet
    SO, is it possible that last stand can become an official game mode? like if you guys polish it enough to just slap it right into the game officially?
    Twould be kewl
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
  • ShottyShotty Join Date: 2012-01-14 Member: 140416Members
    That last stand mode looks awesome!
    Implement it into the game!
  • ZenuZenu Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72861Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Charlie needs bigger T-shirt ^^.
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Zenu wrote: »

wut?
  • GamerkatzeGamerkatze Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153711Members

cannot be unseen .... xD

• the9thdudethe9thdude Join Date: 2007-08-02 Member: 61753Members
    Looking forward to them all! I must say at first the idea of a fighting game between the Marine and the Fade seemed a bit weak but I think if you put in some... "Manly" catchphrases for the Marine, I would just about die from the hilarity.
  • EgoGamerEgoGamer Join Date: 2012-06-21 Member: 153536Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited April 2013
    Looking forward to this for sure. Roll on Friday!

Are you kidding? Cut another few inches off and you got yourself a pin-up. ;)
  • GreenFlameGreenFlame Join Date: 2011-03-17 Member: 86860Members
    edited April 2013
    Very exciting things! I like it much more than you polishing NS2 to be honest. That feels even more Indie! =D

I wish you were more open to new gameplay-changing features in the original Game(like damaged Exo having rotation limits, secondary attack for weapons and even more complex things), would really work well as a separate experimental NS2 Beta branch without making you worry about balance.
    I've tried making games myself and I think programming gameplay features is both more interesting and has more obvious results.

Don't get me wrong, I understand importance of polishing and you're doing pretty good on enhancing the Game! Just suggesting to make more gameplay additions to the game(sorry, but for me SG and every alien(except maybe fade) seems to have a lot of potential yet to be implemented). And what's with Google moderator ideas? =)

The mods sound promising, and I'd like to say Cory's art looks very very exciting! Hard to believe that you're actually making this game, because several month ago I had two dreams in a row where I beat up Skulks in first person view with Kazama-style 5-hit combo(the martial skill was given by nanoshield to be exact). If the game was closer to Tekken mechanics that would be just fantastic!

You're awesome, guys, I've double-checked! =D

P.S. Wondering if some of the gameplay will eventually become a part of the original NS2 =)

And add the taser somewhere! =)
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    No. smaller.

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    AuroN2 wrote: »
    No. smaller.
    None?
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    Maybe a non-black one if his desk is in the sun.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    edited April 2013
    There was already a community mod called Last Stand http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/126862/last-stand-mod#latest

Has it been taken on by UW? I think UW should change their mod's name otherwise.

Really looking forward to playing it (we get to play them right?) eventually.
  • RobotixRobotix Join Date: 2013-02-20 Member: 183222Members
    Imo, UWE could use mods like these to make money if they made them into official game modes and charged a small amount of money per game mode (~$1.99). I know I'd buy some, and UWE could use the extra Res.