How come this game runs so poorly?

Ogre_Ogre_ Join Date: 2013-04-15 Member: 184837Members
i got

- i3-2120 CPU 3,30 GHZ 3,30 GHZ
- geforce GTX 550 TI
- 8gm RAM
- Windows 7 service pack 1

i need play at 1280x1024 reso and all other graphic settings almost lowest possible to get only 47 fps in startup screen...u can only imagine how low fps can go in game..this is like only game i got huge performance problems..recommeended specs are false or then this game just dont like my system generally or some patch has broken it..dunno. I got both cpu and gpu better than recommended specs. I did r_stats 1 in console and it say GPU 10-20 ms and and rendering is 0-1MS. When there is not action going on. When im standing idle or running in explorer mode. Help much appreciated.

Comments

• frallan123frallan123 Join Date: 2012-05-12 Member: 151962Members
    the requirements are false yes, but I guess they set them like that because people may think 30fps is playable but its not, you need a monster computer to able to run this game smooth its a shame.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    edited April 2013
    Agreed recommended specs are too low. Wish UW would update them. Basically, NS2 performance is VERY dependent on a good CPU.

To try a workaround, try "Low Visual Detail" mode (described here).
    It involves basically turning everything off in the Graphics Options screen (except Multicore Rendering).
  • Ogre_Ogre_ Join Date: 2013-04-15 Member: 184837Members
    Another strange thing i noticed that my fps increase by 3 if i set particle quality to high lol :D hows that possible? at least in options screen it seems so.
  • dToxdTox Join Date: 2013-03-13 Member: 183939Members
    edited April 2013
    I'm playing on a computer i built 3 years ago and it runs flawlessly on pretty much max settings (infestation/shadows turned down). 80+fps consistently. If you want to keep up in PC gaming you should AT LEAST upgrade every 2-3 years. Don't expect games to run perfectly for you forever.

@ OP - it seems like you have a software issue. Your computer is more than enough to handle NS2. Do you have the latest drivers with old drivers wiped with a driver cleaner? Is your system cleaned up with things like CCleaner? Seems like you have an issue unrelated to your specs.
  • Ogre_Ogre_ Join Date: 2013-04-15 Member: 184837Members
    edited April 2013
    Well all others games i play run flawlessly. So if its software, then it only effect NS2...i got newest drivers for everything atm. and use CCleaner and wiseregistry leaner. I also have run virus scans etc..not sure do i have some older driver compatibility issue but all others game run good so hmm..would be really strange.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    You can try running the profiler (see instructions) and posting the information. Sometimes, specific computers have new bugs that do have fixable issues. If they get enough info to reproduce, UW is very good at finding these and fixing them within a few weeks.
  • fat catfat cat Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164696Members, Reinforced - Silver
    550 ti is also a pretty low-mid end card, so i dont see the problem here, your rig is low end, what kind of fps do you expect? if you wanted a decent experience, you should have got a 660 ti and a 3570k at least.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Ogre_ wrote: »
    Another strange thing i noticed that my fps increase by 3 if i set particle quality to high lol :D hows that possible? at least in options screen it seems so.
    It sounds funny, but that's the result I got when I did my last benchmarking update. It seems to be an issue when they are few particle effects on the screen.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    The problem is your CPU, look at these benchmark results:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i3-2120+@+3.30GHz

This game is very CPU dependant.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Kamamura wrote: »
    The problem is your CPU, look at these benchmark results:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i3-2120+@+3.30GHz

This game is very CPU dependant.
    Oh, I totally missed that he has a dual core CPU. Yeah, that's going to suffer when playing NS2. Though, it would be helpful posting a screenshot of your graphics options page.

Also, I agree that the recommended specs probably need to be increased. I'd set the recommended CPU to a quad-core i5 or better.
  • ExoskelettExoskelett Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175509Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited April 2013
    UWE cannot set new recommended specs - how should they look like? 3570K 8 GHZ ?

@ Ogre_ dont upgrade for NS2. waste of money - as long as other games runs better on highdetails as ns2 at the lowest theres no reason for - lucky i only spent 600$ into a new comp and this game still runs like shi ty shi t

should have bought other games instead...

• zenefzenef Join Date: 2013-03-07 Member: 183762Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Exoskelett wrote: »
    UWE cannot set new recommended specs - how should they look like? 3570K 8 GHZ ?

So its better to lie than to tell the truth?

I have gtx 580 & i7 2600K and in the first 5mins fps 100-150(great). Late game 60-100(playable). In 24 man server when game went for 1 hour fps dropped to 40-60. I had best fps in build 244, it dropped slightly in 245.

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    This is not a general discussion forum.
    Please keep it to trouble shooting technical problems.

@ogre_ are you satisfied with @kamamura 's reponse? Are you still seeking any support?