An interesting way to encourage a more dynamic gameplay...

beef`beef` Join Date: 2012-12-01 Member: 173845Members
edited April 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
In order to encourage different hive upgrade combinations (instead of shift+crag every time) I suggest a synergy option where going shade + crag yields a passive shift-based bonus. Or shift + shade gives a passive crag based bonus. For example, if I go silence first, and then carapace, perhaps I could get a passive 10% movespeed + 10% energy bonus. Likewise, if I go silence and celery, I could get a small armor + regen buff. Finally, If I go cookie cutter shift + crag I'd get something like a run noise radius reduction.

I think this would encourage a more dynamic gameplay because so many people love silence but aren't in favor of trading early game momentum for late game squishiness. Maybe something can be added to the marine side commensurate with the buff this would give aliens!

Comments

• DogbiteDogbite Join Date: 2004-03-14 Member: 27329Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Synergies would be cool. Not sure how to get it balanced, but I like the idea.
  • Reason85Reason85 Join Date: 2013-04-21 Member: 184928Members
    Agree with dog, like the idea but have no clue how to implement or balance it. We all agree that currently shade is 99% of the time the last hive picked. To me that says that either 1.) Shade structures and abilities suck, 2.) Crag and Shift structures and abilities are overpowered, 3.) both 1 & 2. I think the fix is a synergy idea like you suggest, making shade have an ability that is useful all game (meaning camo is already nerfed and bad, but made useless when you have obs nearby, silence is always useful but just not in the same league as celerity, adren, cara,regen). You cant nerf both crag and shift abilities because Aliens are already at a slight disadvantage and its honestly more work to change two sets of abilities than one set of abilities. Shades the structures are crap compared to crags, and really crappy compared to shifts. Shifts are almost to good that they may need to be structures that are build able regardless of hive type built. The energy regen helps building hives fastly, helps heal with gorges, and is the only way to fight egg lock (other than dying less and or somehow protecting your eggs). Shades to me seem pointless. Untill they make things close to them immune to scan they are at best a ambush tool for 1 or 2 marines before they communicate and tell each other that there are such and such buildings at the shades location. Shade hives suffer by having the worst abilities and the worst structure. They bring nothing to the table and if you are going to get any use out of camo its got to be at the very start of the game and that quickly becomes useless because what marine comm doenst build obs right away for PG alone, plus beacon. They gotta make Shade useful, combine camo and silence into one ability and add a new ability that keeps you off the map/minimap. Both by being scanned, by being motion detecetd, amd even by being seen. I think not showing up on minimaps/maps would be a big advantage and make shade useful, maybe to useful. Also i think the Shade structure should mess with scan/arc targeting so that lets say every other shot from a Arc misses. That would make shades VERY useful for defense and give aliens a actual way to defend agaisnt arcs. You would have to tweak it, maybe make it so the arc shots could be given a certain size circle with the target in the center and have the arc hit somewhere in the circle but have the lowest chance to hit dead center, and highest chance to hit on the edges of the circle. Or make it so targets VERY close to the shade, im talking barely farther than touching, immune to scan. So you could sitll use arcs but you would need actual eyes on target by shooting the target with a lmg and having someone being able to visually see it so the arcs could get a target. Also you could tweak it so that its every third arc shot misses, or forth, whatever balance dictates. I just think being able to visually hide things is overrated and considering hives have to be on a specific location you are either going to shoot where the hive has to be if yhou are killing it in person, or you are gonna scan the hive location if you are arcing. So the shade becomes pretty much a waste of res at that point, and other than hiding whip ambushes i dont see the point of shades. Or make it so that camo is 100% invisible, and give shades the ability to make just creatures immune to motion detection (would have to be a large radius that it makes the creature immune to motion detection, i mean very large like several rooms , well 2 to 3. ANother idea is get rid of silence or camo (or just combine them) and make a new ability that is triggerable with a say 20-30 second cooldown that gives you 8 seconds of immunity to motion detection/scan/visually showing up on a mini or full sized map. This would also count towards sentries tho admittedly it would make sentries useless so maybe the cooldown or time allowed would need to be changed, longer cooldown and shorter time immune. I Guess i just feel that shades dont make you any more stealth at all in reality, one obs near you or scanning makes your camo useless/shade useless and silence is neat but doesnt compare to cara/cele/adren/regen. Maybe whatever shade ability you buy includes silence, cause on its own its not good enough, neither is camo in its current state. You gotta be 100% invisible if its so easily countered by motion detection and scan, the fact you arent is mind boggling.