Been seeing a lot of Trolls lately?

Comments

• dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    On our server the most playing regulars can eject and slap people. Imagine an troll trying to start his cool troll action *slap* dead. He try this again *slap*- Another things against trolls are some Admins around here and there and a server specific forum.
  • |DFA| Havoc|DFA| Havoc Join Date: 2009-08-07 Member: 68375Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I've noticed more trolls lately too. Oddly enough, I've run into a couple that start out commanding normally, responsive to requests, no red flags at all. Then, 3-4 minutes in they recycle everything and blow all the res on repeated beacons or medspam, despite the team being in a strong position. I guess they just get off on having wasted more of your time that way than if they did it right at the start?

Either way, they still get the banhammer in the end.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    I've noticed more trolls lately too. Oddly enough, I've run into a couple that start out commanding normally, responsive to requests, no red flags at all. Then, 3-4 minutes in they recycle everything and blow all the res on repeated beacons or medspam, despite the team being in a strong position. I guess they just get off on having wasted more of your time that way than if they did it right at the start?

Either way, they still get the banhammer in the end.

I have also noticed this too. the trolls are leveling up.
  • NousWandererNousWanderer Join Date: 2010-05-07 Member: 71646Members
    Exactly this.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I managed to trap a troll in the comm chair (we ejected him, I jumped in and he didn't move away in time). The comm chair didn't kill him, so I tried to avoid getting out for as long as possible. He was rattling away in there with his axe for a good 5 minutes :D

Then you've got the trolls such as a guy yesterday who was annoyed that a friend and I were playing on the same team (we even made sure one of us was comming all the time so we weren't both on the field roflstomping...), and he jumped into the chair near the beginning of one round, sold up everything he could (it wasn't that much, but cost us quite a lot of map control and of course early res), then switched back to aliens and made a big deal of the fact that aliens ended up winning that round. I have to say though, I really didn't mind. I beat him 1 on 1 as a fade with me as an a1 w0 marine, so I'm hoping that he felt appropriately schooled. :D

Aside from the people who like to troll all the time, I'm definitely seeing more of the 'snap troll' - normal players who usually play properly just decide on a whim to ruin the game for others. Don't know what that's about.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Roobubba wrote: »
    I managed to trap a troll in the comm chair (we ejected him, I jumped in and he didn't move away in time). The comm chair didn't kill him, so I tried to avoid getting out for as long as possible. He was rattling away in there with his axe for a good 5 minutes :D

I think I was there for that! Did he troll by placing an IP in the wall?
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited April 2013
    seperate issue, but don't eject commander like a sheep just because someone else does it.

yesterday i was commanding pretty well as alien, considering i've only played alien commander 3 times in the past 4 months. we had 3 hives, forward crag/shift, i was dropping onos eggs and using enzyme whenever we attacked. but a couple of douchebags lingered on the fact that i delayed a bunch of 3rd hive upgrades; distracted by supporting the team with enzyme. then i got ejected. it's no wonder hardly anyone wants to play as commander...

it's ridiculous "WHY HAVENT YOU GOT STOMP YOU F****** TERRIBLE COMMANDER GUYS EJECT HIM PLS". how about politely remind the commander to get the upgrades before crying and throwing insults like a spoiled kid?

this brainless sheep behaviour makes it so easy for a troll to initiate an eject, then steal commander spot.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I hate people like that. Most people who complain about the commander not doing stuff have no idea how tech works in this game. Nothing is worse than getting ejected by some idiot who thinks he has a better idea of what the comm should be doing than you do.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited April 2013
    I hate people like that. Most people who complain about the commander not doing stuff have no idea how tech works in this game. Nothing is worse than getting ejected by some idiot who thinks he has a better idea of what the comm should be doing than you do.

i don't have a problem with people who may be better at commander than myself. i do have a problem with people who are so impatient that they skip the asking/demanding and jump straight to the "YOU F***** SUCK... ARE YOU DUMB?? WHY NO UPGRADES??" even when you know you're in a far stronger position than the other team.

it works both ways too, but you can't get ejected as a player. for example i was called the 'dumbest player ever' because commander wanted me to finish off an alien hive, while i was an exosuit surrounded by fades (i was instead killing the fades, and killed like 2-3 of them). if it was the last living hive, then maybe, but everyone knew aliens had another hive AND another hive growing - not to mention that aliens had already won the game 15 minutes earlier because of absolute resource dominance.

maybe i would have gone along with that commander's stupid plan if it wasn't for the fact that he and his buddies lost the previous two games down to stupid gimmick strategies like railgun/grenade launcher rush (which consisted of no planning except "GET RAILGUN/GL AND GO!").
  • Super_GorgeSuper_Gorge Join Date: 2013-03-22 Member: 184212Members
    tarquinbb wrote: »
    maybe i would have gone along with that commander's stupid plan if it wasn't for the fact that he and his buddies lost the previous two games down to stupid gimmick strategies like railgun/grenade launcher rush (which consisted of no planning except "GET RAILGUN/GL AND GO!").

Wow. Sounds like a troll team there. RG/GL? Sounds like a losing combination.
  • StardogStardog Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32448Members
    edited April 2013
    Tyrsis wrote: »
    Probably Jason Mog and his band of douche bags. His steamids are making the rounds and his choice of servers are thinning. They've also graduated to aimbots and wallhacks now as well. Lovely group that enjoys building IPs in walls, phase gates into lava, and giggling like girls after it's done. Seems to have a hardon for inv. joe! and jewbear recently and usually starts off as those guys, then changes them after each round.
    Those two were trolling yesterday. They also do a suicide spam before a match starts. SqrrlGrr...something is another one.

EDIT: Here is a screen he took himself... http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=138097828

Backup just incase: http://i.imgur.com/51Ocgla.jpg
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    think the suicide spam crashed the server i was on the other day.
  • ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    That guy needs a VAC ban, hard.
  • freshfresh Join Date: 2013-04-12 Member: 184754Members
    I don't quite know which is worse: having the chair taken when you get out or seeing the comm give up the chair to someone who only wants to mess around. In a few games I was playing today I had gotten out to put up hydras around the base and hide the upgrades behind clogs, and I told the team so they didn't freak out and think I had rq, and then this kid jumps into the chair. I have it timed so that when I've finished placing my hydras I begin researching my first upgrade, but he began spreading creep. I asked him to get out and he didn't, we had to vote to eject him. When I got him he had blown most of the res on cysts. He did this a few more times but had gotten out after I asked, but I was so paranoid about getting out of the chair even to attack an enemy when he was on my team.

A few games prior to this (though in the same day, bad luck I guess) we were about to finish off a game that we had quickly won when that Joe! person and one of his mates join. None of us really realised who it was, and it was either him or his friend (one was on our team and the other was on the other team) asked to comm since the game was almost over and the comm said sure why not. The guy got in and promptly sold everything, and then started whining and being all around rude. Thankfully they were both banned from the server.

It's like people don't have manners these days!
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Fact: The more threads and posts that are made in their honor, the bigger their boners grow.

Mods, please lock.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Needs more pokemon music.
  • bongofishbongofish Join Date: 2003-08-17 Member: 19893Members
    Squishpoke wrote: »
    Fact: The more threads and posts that are made in their honor, the bigger their boners grow.

Mods, please lock.

I get the impression that these guys think they can kill the game or something. I've ran into them several times and they always brag about "killing another server." It's obvious that these are weak and ineffective people trying to exert some control. The havoc they cause makes them feel powerful and special. It's the kind of stuff that most people grow out of around age five. My guess is that they were probably abused and neglected as children and therefore crave attention and control. Or at least that's the motivation for the leader, the rest are weak minded followers who, due to their very low self esteem, would do anything to have someone accept them into a group. I mean it's textbook Psych 101 stuff. They aren't difficult to figure out.

However, you are right that they enjoy the attention. They think it makes them special and they probably brag about it, having no clue how truly pathetic that is. You can't fix broken people, so they should be put on a blacklist and banned from all NS2 servers. It would be more effective if they could be IP banned because they will simply rebuy or pirate the game if they are banned solely on NS2 ID.

In the mean time they are a minor annoyance and should be swatted aside like the insignificant wastes of flesh that they are.
  • jasonmogjasonmog Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33265Members
    bongofish wrote: »
    Squishpoke wrote: »

Mods, please lock.

I get the impression that these guys think they can kill the game or something. I've ran into them several times and they always brag about "killing another server." It's obvious that these are weak and ineffective people trying to exert some control. The havoc they cause makes them feel powerful and special. It's the kind of stuff that most people grow out of around age five. My guess is that they were probably abused and neglected as children and therefore crave attention and control. Or at least that's the motivation for the leader, the rest are weak minded followers who, due to their very low self esteem, would do anything to have someone accept them into a group. I mean it's textbook Psych 101 stuff. They aren't difficult to figure out.

However, you are right that they enjoy the attention. They think it makes them special and they probably brag about it, having no clue how truly pathetic that is. You can't fix broken people, so they should be put on a blacklist and banned from all NS2 servers. It would be more effective if they could be IP banned because they will simply rebuy or pirate the game if they are banned solely on NS2 ID.

In the mean time they are a minor annoyance and should be swatted aside like the insignificant wastes of flesh that they are.

Quotes comment about feeding trolls. Posts his own Wikipedia psych analysis.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Trolls are just a feature of the internet. They get some minor successes in ruining a few games here and there, but they are FAR, FAR out numbered and outwitted in trolling by the multitude of non-communicative rambos who can't work as part of a team!

I would feel sorry for them, but I can't really be bothered to bring myself to that. They exist, but that's about all of note to say about them.
    Roobubba wrote: »
    Trolls are just a feature of the internet. They get some minor successes in ruining a few games here and there, but they are FAR, FAR out numbered and outwitted in trolling by the multitude of non-communicative rambos who can't work as part of a team!

I would feel sorry for them, but I can't really be bothered to bring myself to that. They exist, but that's about all of note to say about them.

Somebody is catching on; the ultimate, anonymous troll swarm that you can never escape or ban in public gaming. How can any one take a game seriously knowing this or the fact that this sequel was modified from the original to cater to that mass?
    We can take the game seriously because we fell in love with NS1, and NS2 continues to deliver our daily fix of alien/marine action in a far superior manner to any other game out there. The fact that there are enough people here from NS1 tells you how seriously we all took it, and how seriously we take NS2.

I disagree that NS2 is made to cater to the mic-less rambos. The fact that it sold plenty of copies means you'll find more mic-less rambos than we'd like, but what's most encouraging about the game, and about gamers nowadays, is that many of them ARE prepared to dig out their mics and contribute, once they've seen how kickass this game is.

Being positive, helpful and encouraging is what NS2 needs from us regulars. Not bemoaning, whinging, focusing on the efforts of trolls, or knocking UWE for every change we might not like. These forums are a good place to hold such discussions, sure, but the servers are there for fun gameplay, and I for one am very happy that I get that pretty much EVERY single time I play NS2.

I can't say that for many games.
  • hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    edited April 2013
    It's simple:
    - stop players from changing their name when on a server
    - a quick and easy way to record a players steam id to give it to the server admin later
    - kickvote (it works in every other game so no fake arguments against that)

The numbers in the player list are a good start, but I don't think they identify a player - they should.

"Contact an admin" is NOT an answer, if that worked this thread wouldn't exist. Most times, admins aren't there or do not exist (UWE official).
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    hozz wrote: »
    "Contact an admin" is NOT an answer, if that worked this thread wouldn't exist. Most times, admins aren't there or do not exist (UWE official).

I'm pretty sure they do exist, right @Ironhorse?
  • hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    Good to know. Missed the part where the server tells me that :)

So, just curious, does it work? Did people actually get permanent bans? Or what were the consequences? Is the list publicly available (so other servers can ban those people too)?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Yes they do @mmz_torak.. Yes they do.
    Also, anyone can see any player 's steam id by typing sv_status in the console.
  • ValshistixolValshistixol Join Date: 2013-04-09 Member: 184723Members
    They're probably not trolls. You just need thicker skin.
  • |DFA| Havoc|DFA| Havoc Join Date: 2009-08-07 Member: 68375Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    jasonmog wrote: »
    the ultimate, anonymous troll swarm that you can never escape or ban in public gaming.

Oh, but I can. Banning trolls is actually incredibly satisfying.
    jasonmog wrote: »
    the ultimate, anonymous troll swarm that you can never escape or ban in public gaming.

Oh, but I can. Banning trolls is actually incredibly satisfying.

You misunderstood. Read what I quoted. If you banned every "troll" there would be no players. How many games do you have mindless zombies wandering around without cooperation? This is the unknowing, anonymous troll swarm that you can't escape. Those that label themselves are a distraction and more importantly have the will and means to work around the efforts of admins.
    hozz wrote: »
    Good to know. Missed the part where the server tells me that :)

So, just curious, does it work? Did people actually get permanent bans? Or what were the consequences? Is the list publicly available (so other servers can ban those people too)?

They do get banned on the occasion that an admin is present. However, anyone with the will to act out will also have the means to soon come back. The admins include themselves and innocents as victims when they become so proactive. their servers become a police state where any deviation from straightforward play yields suspicion, paranoia and the associated overreactions.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Stop inciting fear unnecessarily and wholly inaccurately, it makes you seem more like that troll.

Systems like these have existed for just about every multi player pc game since the beginning. Its been fine.
    Hell some of the best teamwork games have it down pat with a well equipped community.

And as far as behavior or activity you fear you'd lose : multiplayer means just that. You will have to bend to the behavioral desires of the culture and environment every single game.
    Acting like a jack ass will get you kicked.
    This is nothing new and no one wants it differently than the minority looking to exploit it.