How's this look for an entry level water cooling setup?

Sinistral_on_SteamSinistral_on_Steam MA, USA Join Date: 2013-03-07 Member: 183764Members, Reinforced - Supporter
Since NS2 is a real beast on resources and I recently picked up a 7970 a few months before I got NS2 (fortunately, as my old 5850 probably wouldn't even run it on my desired settings) I've been thinking about doing a cheapish, entry level water cooling setup. I'd like to do a bit of OC'ing for Bitcoin mining too and I think watercooling would help a lot.

I was looking at the following components at sidewindercomputers.com;

XSPC Rasa 450 RS120 WaterCooling Kit - $129
XSPC Razer 7970 block - $109
5 ft Tygon® Silver Antimicrobial Tubing 1/4in. ID 3/8in. OD - $9.75
Feser One F1 Cooling Fluid - UV Clear / Blue - 1 Liter - $19.99
Compression fittings and what not... $x.xx

Total @ ~$267.74 before shipping but let's call it $300 for shipping and fittings. Fairly expensive for an entry level setup I believe (the actual kit is about a basic as they get) but it's the 7970 block that's the money breaker.

Now I was thinking on trying to run the temps a bit cooler than what you could do with a fan. This is what I was thinking - give me some feedback if this sounds whack or really good (hopefully ;)). I was going to put a few peltier coolers (when powered one side gets hot, the other cold) with the cold side on the radiator. The problem with peltier coolers other than the fact I have to blow off the hot side with a fan is that the cold side can cause condensation which you obviously don't want anywhere near your circuitry. Could I use a heat insulating adhesive and glue the cold side of the peltier coolers to the radiator? I think with enough adhesive it could offer enough of an insulation buffer to prevent condensation forming on it. This way I could reap the benefits of peltier cooling over air cooling without having to run a significant risk of condensation due to the thermal insulating glue/epoxy...right? Since the hot side of the peltier cooler would be facing out of the case I would just blow of the hot air with with something like 2 120mm case fans. They're merely there to prevent the air heated from the hot side of the peltier cooler from leaking back into the case - I was going to put the radiator in the front of the case (case was designed with a mesh design around the case for passive cooling) and I believe the cooling from the peltier cooler(s) would be enough to cool down the fluid as it passes through the radiator. I figure I could probably drop at least 20 degrees F over air cooling the radiator.

Layout would go something like this....Pump/resvoir intakes "hot" fluid and pumps it through the radiator where the peltier cooler(s) chill the fluid before it gets pumped out to a Y fitting that goes out to the CPU and the other GPU and then a Y fitting merges the two heated lines back into the pump and back off onto the radiator again. The idea in splitting the two lines is that I'm not sending GPU heated fluid onto the CPU or vice versa.

Maybe I should go to an Overclocking forum but I know we got some knowledgeable NS2 fans here. :) Make any sense? Any ideas or is this just crazy?

Comments

• ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    Peltier coolers are lousy for transferring bulk quantities of heat. They can make something quite cool given enough time, but they can't handle much throughput.

--Scythe--
  • XythXyth Avatar Join Date: 2003-11-04 Member: 22312Members
    The typical application of a TEC would be to sandwich it between your processor and waterblock, putting the TECs on your radiator makes 0 practical sense.
    But then again TECs make no sense in modern computers, the heat output of a modern processor is far beyond what a single TEC can handle. You could keep sandwiching more and more TECs but you will get diminishing returns not to mention a hefty power bill.

Any extra "income" you gain from overclocking your gpu for increased BTC mining capability will be overshadowed by the increased electrical cost of the overclocked component.

With that said, a watercooling setup would be cool and I'd prefer the soft gurgle of a pump to the whine of multiple fans. It just doesn't really seem to make sense from a money perspective, if you want more power just buy better components.
  • Sinistral_on_SteamSinistral_on_Steam MA, USA Join Date: 2013-03-07 Member: 183764Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited April 2013
    I've thought about it a bit and you guys are definitely right. It won't be as extreme as true water cooling but I think it would be far easier to just go with an Accelero Hybrid 7970 and one of those all-in-one CPU water coolers.
    Xyth wrote: »
    Any extra "income" you gain from overclocking your gpu for increased BTC mining capability will be overshadowed by the increased electrical cost of the overclocked component.
    I don't know about that. Bitcoin prices are ridiculous right now. At the current market rate I think any additional power consumption due to overclocking the GPU would be offset by the Bitcoins mined.
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I've thought about it a bit and you guys are definitely right. It won't be as extreme as true water cooling but I think it would be far easier to just go with an Accelero Hybrid 7970 and one of those all-in-one CPU water coolers.
    I don't know about that. Bitcoin prices are ridiculous right now. At the current market rate I think any additional power consumption due to overclocking the GPU would be offset by the Bitcoins mined.

bitcoins are currently going down as quickly as they went up, as expected.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Thermoelectric cooling is definately possible, but I think its only justified if you want sub-ambient temps without a phase change system, see here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/282844-29-peltier-water-cooling

I've seen a couple of consumer TEC CPU coolers like the Cooler Master v10 and the Ultra ChillTEC. Though, pretty much all the reviews say they cost more for average or worse performance than comparable air coolers.

However, I'd love to see someone try to use the thermoacoustic effect to improve CPU cooling.
    All those TECs and he's probably only moving 1500 BTU or less at the cost of 1000 watts.
    For reference an 8000 BTU compressor consumes around 600watts.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    All those TECs and he's probably only moving 1500 BTU or less at the cost of 1000 watts.
    For reference an 8000 BTU compressor consumes around 600watts.
    Yeah, its terribly inefficient, but its likely to be much cheaper for the initial equipment than phase change cooling to get sub-ambient temperatures. Now, over the long run, the higher electricity cost might make it more expensive, but that really depends on the price of electricity in your area.
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    Yeah, its terribly inefficient, but its likely to be much cheaper for the initial equipment than phase change cooling to get sub-ambient temperatures. Now, over the long run, the higher electricity cost might make it more expensive, but that really depends on the price of electricity in your area.

I could argue the opposite, a 5000 BTU AC unit will only run you about $100(less if you get it used), while he paid $30 each for 4 high-performance CPU coolers not to mention the 4 additional water blocks.

The difficulty in construction would be the tipping point I imagine. I'd be a little bit afraid of what would happen if you punctured the high-pressure side of the compressor tubing. Definitely more difficult than just mating a water-block and CPU heatsink that happen to already have the correct mounting bracket spacings.

Fun fact, in the same way that if you apply a current to a TEC it develops a temperature difference; if you apply a temperature difference to the TEC you can harvest an electrical current from it.
    Theoretically you could actually use a TEC to harvest back some of the energy lost as heat from your CPU.

• Sinistral_on_SteamSinistral_on_Steam MA, USA Join Date: 2013-03-07 Member: 183764Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited April 2013
    bitcoins are currently going down as quickly as they went up, as expected.
    You got me there. Transferred .25 BTC from the pool I'm on onto my preferred exchange. Was going to cash in 1 piddly BTC in hopes of netting a cool $250! :D By the time the transfer went through to the exchange the prices were already down. I think it will go back up around where it was at in a few days. I think the price dropped on all the markets because Tradehill and MtGox were being ddos'd today.

Ha! You guys are going way over my head on some of this! How about I just rig up a dryer line on my AC unit in the window and run it into the back of my case with the fans blowing out? No need to worry about BTU and efficiency since I'm already running the AC. :p I kid! That would be a terrible idea since I'd have to keep the AC unit in the window and running year round.

Perhaps using the thermal difference to generate some electricity would be enough to power a 120 mm fan, Xyth? I believe they run off only a few watts but have no clue how much power would actually be generated. I think I read something today while I was looking into peltier coolers that an auto maker had stuck them to the exhaust piping and electricity generated went to the alternator or something like that. Pretty nifty.
    ScardyBob wrote: »

I could argue the opposite, a 5000 BTU AC unit will only run you about $100(less if you get it used), while he paid $30 each for 4 high-performance CPU coolers not to mention the 4 additional water blocks.

The difficulty in construction would be the tipping point I imagine. I'd be a little bit afraid of what would happen if you punctured the high-pressure side of the compressor tubing. Definitely more difficult than just mating a water-block and CPU heatsink that happen to already have the correct mounting bracket spacings.

Fun fact, in the same way that if you apply a current to a TEC it develops a temperature difference; if you apply a temperature difference to the TEC you can harvest an electrical current from it.
    Theoretically you could actually use a TEC to harvest back some of the energy lost as heat from your CPU.
    The AC unit is cheap, but you're likely going to have to spend quite a bit to merge it with your water block (I'm not even sure if its possible, since modern AC units are typically high pressure). I was mostly looking at the frozencpu kits, which can give a sometimes ok idea of how costly different CPU cooling types can be. TEC coolers are much easier to incorporate into current water/air cooling system then phase change.
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    Thermal harvesting on a TEC won't run a fan at a speed that will have any noticeable effect (if at all). It relies on a temperature differential to generate power, and as soon as the entire unit is up to temp, power drops off sharply. You'd need to add a heatsink and another fan to keep the other side cool(ish)... really don't bother.

I'd advise just getting LARGE fans running slow. My HTPC is running five 120mm Antec Whispers at ~800rpm (nominal is 2200) and it's quieter than breathing normally. You can also follow proper flow design (plug up any extra holes/mesh in the case, install internal ducting, twice as many intake as exhaust fans) and get a much better return. Problem comes in when you just start throwing in more and more fans without any kind of plan, or a designed airflow path. Turbulence kills it, eddy currents stink, and you just get a lot more noise for no real gain. Aforementioned HTPC is running two intake, one exhaust, and two on the CPU cooler (CM Hyper 212+) oriented to act as a 'booster' for the airflow through the cardstock ducting. The extra mesh on the case is covered over with black construction paper and duct tape.
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    Just a heads up, are you really willing to put so much resources in what appears to be your gaming rig ?
    Not just money wise, but also time wise, effort wise, and will it do what you want it to do.

See, obviously I'm not a performance freak, what I want is to press the power button on my PC when I go home, and have it work. That's whether I want to play, to surf, or to work.

Building a computer rig isn't just getting performance parts together, it's knowing what you're aiming for. I believe there's a sweet spot between performance and comfort. This is definietly NOT obtained by a phase change cooling or whatever.
    See, my idea of a rig (yes, my glorious gaming days are over, sadly. Life and all that) now would be a fanless Thin Mini ITX based pc (check out the Akasa Euler ; or maybe Streacom cases)

My current PC rig is aimed for silence as well, yet it houses a good i5-3570K and a out-of-the-box GTX670 from Asus (DCUII series) and the case is a Fractal Design R3.
    It runs NS2 well. I could get a few more FPSes, but I just wouldn't stand the noise it would make just by turning the fans up.

I've also had those wonderful turbines with 4 fans in front, 2 at the back, a side panel airduct. And now that I think about it, it was just painful to live in the same room as my PC.

I also know that there are closed-circuit watercooling systems : open box, install block on cpu, install pump on case, you're done. I have no idea what they're worth (no interest in them, honestly) but maybe someone on the internet does.
    Whaat, you don't need 10C CPU temps to watch netflix?
    You used to be cool, man.

Mine is completely devoid of blue LEDs and doesn't even have a window. Where did my passion go?

I do have a superfluous SSD RAID though :/
    Just a heads up, are you really willing to put so much resources in what appears to be your gaming rig ?
    Not just money wise, but also time wise, effort wise, and will it do what you want it to do.
    Some people like to make manual controls for flight simulators. We all have our hobbies.
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    Oh I understand that, but from what I gather, the OP wants something powerful to run NS2 and mining bitcoins.
    And I'm not sure that going the whole Watercooling with custom peltiers or running fans into an AC unit (or whatever idea you might have) is the way to go.

Heavy overclocking seems to me to be a very specific type of hobby. One where the actual construction of the rig is the actual important part.
    And having a powerful computer is just the byproduct of your effort.

I may be wrong, and then by all means try whatever it is you wanted to try, but it IS definitely possible to have a very decent computer for a fraction of the hassle.
    Remember, there are diminishing returns whenever you want to get that little extra performance boost.

Also, Haswell is just around the corner. Maybe wait ? :D
  • MonkfishMonkfish Sonic-boom-inducing buttcheeks of terrifying speed! Join Date: 2003-06-03 Member: 16972Members
    Hahahah wait he's going to mine cosbycoins?
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    edited April 2013
    i just bought this and some red ek-koolant: http://www.xs-pc.com/products/watercooling-kits/x2o-750-watercooling-kits/raystorm-750-r360-watercooling-kit/

using it with "liquid pro" bare-die (without the heatspreader) on a 3770k at 5ghz.

temps after 24hrs ibt around 60C°

working like charm,
    btw the pump was rly noisy the first 48 hours,
    but then suddenly it went quiet and stayed like this for since.

cheap, easy and well performing. good how to manuals, went smooth and quick.

watch it that you install it in a way, where you can take the whole system out of your case without
    the need of cutting the hoses!

thats what i've learned :(
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Monkfish wrote: »
    Hahahah wait he's going to mine cosbycoins?
    Why did that make you stop laughing?
  • MonkfishMonkfish Sonic-boom-inducing buttcheeks of terrifying speed! Join Date: 2003-06-03 Member: 16972Members
    I could have kept laughing but it would have taken up the whole page.
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    edited April 2013
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/profile/comments/16972/Monkfish

*REDACTED.* Use your words, not just an image (macro). -Talesin
  • Rich_Rich_ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167152Members
    A good 360mm wide by 50mm thick radiator + cpu block + pump/res can be had for the same 120$ ur paying for that kit with 120mm wide x ?30mm? thick radiator. If you wanna go 'kit' route, der walter posted a pretty good one. Buy everything individually to get best bang for $ tho.