ns2_co_oldassgamers

oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
edited June 2013 in Mapping
Welcome to Linnear Wars! First map ever created on NS2. It's totally retarded and it's HORRIBLE in gameplay balance for NS2. But This is who I am, a crazy dude who tries to do something different. So Please enjoy a map which is linnear. No vents, only one path of DEATH. My goal is to create a different style of gameplay.

CURRENT VERSION:
Version 1.71 is out ( Released 20-06-2013 ).

Map Name:
ns2_co_oldassgamers A.K.A Linnear Wars

My inspiration:
My design inspiration for making this map is ns2_docking and ns2_descent.

DOWNLOAD MAP:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=126820708

Special Thanks:
Janos ( for informing me on how to use the spark editor in a proper way ).
Mendasp ( For solving tricky impossible issues ).

Comments

• VonDoomVonDoom Knee deep in the latency Join Date: 2009-10-08 Member: 68989Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hey man, lets see some more screenshots! Looks like you found some nice panels to match up.

I haven't tried moving a room using layers, maybe you should try selecting the whole thing manually from the top view : o
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    going off my experience with hammer, the models bounding box can effect how the rest of the selection moves on the grid. not sure this will work with spark but try putting some grid snapped large faces down that more than encompass the whole area, like a giant box. Select all the geometry within the box and the box then move it. delete the surrounding box and you should be good. Worth a go!
  • JanosJanos Join Date: 2002-08-02 Member: 1050Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    Moving complex geometry usually results in it going 'off grid', also moving basic geometry along with props will end up with the same problem. If I have to move certain sections around I tend to move the geometry and props separately.
  • DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
    EVERY TIME I move or rotate some geometry I change grid size to one and snap to grid.

In fact I've started a habit of regularly selecting geo I'm working on and snapping to grid and welding near vertices, just to make sure my geometry is clean and not causing any issues.
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thanks for all suggestions regarding the off grid issue. I have follow all suggestion but yet the vertices goes out of grid. I spend many hours of regriding all the vertices. I wish that uwe could solve the bugs on the spark editor so the progress on making map would go faster.

I will redo the entire marine start again. Start from stratch. I notice that this room wasn't balance at all :D
  • ObliviousSightObliviousSight Join Date: 2012-09-07 Member: 158306Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    If the problem with the grid you are facing is that the vertices are going completely off even the 1 unit grid there is a function in the edit menu called 'snap to min. grid' that should sort that problem. Just make sure that you are using the select tool when using it as it doesn't work with the transform tools, if I remember correctly. Hope this helps.
  • JanosJanos Join Date: 2002-08-02 Member: 1050Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    If the problem with the grid you are facing is that the vertices are going completely off even the 1 unit grid there is a function in the edit menu called 'snap to min. grid' that should sort that problem. Just make sure that you are using the select tool when using it as it doesn't work with the transform tools, if I remember correctly. Hope this helps.

Hmm might have to give that a look, for the moment I've been too busy with rl to get much mapping done, let alone play around with the new features of the editor.
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    The minimap is bugged for me. I can't walk properly in the map using the minimap. The character is out of sync of the map, same with the names. They are all stuck to center.

Anyone knows how to solve this issue?

Check picture below
  • Evil_bOb1Evil_bOb1 Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 938Members, Squad Five Blue
    Your minimap_extent entity needs to have a square base. Do this and recompile the minimap.
    Aha I see. Because what I did now was to extend left to right with 2000 grid in both direction and it works.

Thx for help though :)
    edited March 2013
    Quick question guys. Is there a way to rechange the angel of a skybox?

Update:
    I figure it out thanks to mendasp. :D
  • JimWestJimWest Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69865Members, Reinforced - Silver
    The map needs some vents, I think atm the win rate is 100% for rines.
    edited March 2013
    JimWest wrote: »
    The map needs some vents, I think atm the win rate is 100% for rines.

Incorrect - through miracle, divine intervention, or stupid marines who won't weld EXOs, one alien team managed to stalemate long enough to win. We were ahead all game until the last 10 minutes where marines finally pushed.

Either way, I think the map could be cool with two similar hallways side by side, and then vents darting in between & around.

p.s. I wish I had a server dedicated for my crappy maps...
    edited March 2013
    Jimwest alien are overpowered in that map when having gorges as shield.

Please read my description I've updated it to the latest information. This map is called linnear war aka ns2_co_oldassgamers :D

Darkseraph I agreed about the two similiar hallways. I will finnish up the visual first and once the detaljs are finnished I can do a beta on extending to two hallways :D
    edited April 2013
    Hello, how to create a spec map?

Currently I added my own logo by creating a albedoMap and normalMap.

How to create specularMap?
    Please assist. Because now the texture looks horrible when light reflects on the texture because it currently doesn't support lightning reflection :P help me do specularmap :D

Quick note:
    I saved my albedomap as DXT5 Interpolated alpha. Reason to this is to be able to streach it out with more detaljs comparing to DXT1 and I saved the normalmap as DXT5 Interpolated alpha and NOT as "3ds normalmap".
  • WhiteDevilWhiteDevil Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    @oldassgamers
    The specular map goes to the alpha channel of the albedo texture. Save it as DXT5 as you have earlier.

If want the texture to not reflect any light, just have the alpha channel plain black.
    WhiteDevil wrote: »
    @oldassgamers
    The specular map goes to the alpha channel of the albedo texture. Save it as DXT5 as you have earlier.

If want the texture to not reflect any light, just have the alpha channel plain black.

Thanks for answer !

By the way, does anyone know how to render only the ground of the map and NOT the props to. Currently now it renders the ground, roof and props. I can't get a clean look.

• PandademicPandademic Join Date: 2013-02-26 Member: 183359Members
    Layers. Or the selection toggles. The toggles (or whatever they're called) are found on the bottom center-right, and will isolate what you're able to manipulate without phasing them off the screen. Layers make grouped elements vanish completely to make a visually clean work space, and to ease the workload of your PC. Both are essential and constant aids.
  • JimWestJimWest Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69865Members, Reinforced - Silver
    Btw., if you want to, I could help you to make the map that way that it has 3 maps
    where you could go, but by random only 1 route is open each round.
    Btw., if you want to, I could help you to make the map that way that it has 3 maps

You have just blown my mind.
  • FunkyFungusFunkyFungus Join Date: 2003-09-09 Member: 20691Members
    looks nice !
    DarkSeraph wrote: »

You have just blown my mind.

jimwest the sparkmonkey :D !

still waiting for lerklift ;)