Been seeing a lot of Trolls lately?

Side1Bu2Rnz9Side1Bu2Rnz9 Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162510Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
So I've played almost 750 hours of this awesome game, and just lately (last week or so) I've been noticing a much higher than usual number of trolls on random servers. Not sure if I'm just unlucky or if they're following me around :P. Has anyone else been experiencing the same or is it just me...

When I say troll I mean the ones that like to jump in the comm chair/hive and either waste res or recycle everything. They then easily change their name to (insert random competitive player's name) and continue to troll the next couple rounds.

Obviously it's extremely hard to do anything about this other than pray the server op is around to ban, but I just wanted to make a thread to see if this is a growing trend atm or if like I said, I've just been unlucky.

Comments

• FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    I ran into two of them last week that kept going marines over and over again, convincing people to eject whomever wasn't them as commander, and then recycling everything.
    They kept saying "Get owned scrubs.", "we own this server.", "you may as well just leave.", ad nauseum.

I really wish more servers had active admins.
  • TyrsisTyrsis Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8804Members
    edited April 2013
    Probably Jason Mog and his band of douche bags. His steamids are making the rounds and his choice of servers are thinning. They've also graduated to aimbots and wallhacks now as well. Lovely group that enjoys building IPs in walls, phase gates into lava, and giggling like girls after it's done. Seems to have a hardon for inv. joe! and jewbear recently and usually starts off as those guys, then changes them after each round.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    Check out this group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ns2serveradmins

Try to friend as many admins on Steam as you can, so if you run across a troll in game it should be easy enough to Shift+Tab and contact the admin.

That said, if anyone is a server admin, I strongly suggest joining this group so other people can find you easier. (Don't forget to post a thread there with your server name).

The best approach against trolls/cheaters is a community-oriented one. Do your part!
  • NousWandererNousWanderer Join Date: 2010-05-07 Member: 71646Members
    I've had pretty bad luck recently. I want to say that around 10 rounds have been ruined by troll commanders in the last week.
  • ApocalipsusApocalipsus Join Date: 2003-10-21 Member: 21838Members
    Just got the first troll yesterday.
    The usual "jump in chair, recycle stuff spent resources"
  • KopungaKopunga Join Date: 2013-01-10 Member: 178764Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I just ran into one possible troll last two weeks. Up to now I'm not even sure if he was trolling or just afraid to ask while having absolutely noclue what a comm ought to do.
    But only one case in ~55hrs in the last two weeks on various servers.
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Trolling and being new to the game are 2 different things.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    some comedian made us all laugh last night.

after joining 3-4 mins into a game, begging to command, then selling everything - he renamed himself as 'admin'. then managed to get into the comm chair again without anyone noticing. about 1 minute into the new game he recycled everything.

pretty funny that when he realised noone was getting angry; he resorted to rasist/offensive namecalling.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    Fits well, I began cloning myself lately.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I wish there was a way to eject someone from a server
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I troll over voice comm, but I never actually troll to where I'm not playing the game; however I did have a troll yesterday, while it was funny he was ruining the match for the other team as being a "wasted slot" he just kept running up to one of the hives trying to knife it doing nothing for his team

Not the biggest deal, my personal problem is when someone afks in-game and you can't move them to spectate or anything, not only is it a wasted slot, it's a wasted slot of someone on your team
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    tarquinbb wrote: »
    some comedian made us all laugh last night.

after joining 3-4 mins into a game, begging to command, then selling everything - he renamed himself as 'admin'. then managed to get into the comm chair again without anyone noticing. about 1 minute into the new game he recycled everything.

pretty funny that when he realised noone was getting angry; he resorted to rasist/offensive namecalling.

It is always fun when the troll gets trolled. Gotta love it when they try their damnedest to piss people off and no one bites!
  • jasonmogjasonmog Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33265Members
    Tyrsis wrote: »
    Probably Jason Mog and his band of douche bags. His steamids are making the rounds and his choice of servers are thinning. They've also graduated to aimbots and wallhacks now as well. Lovely group that enjoys building IPs in walls, phase gates into lava, and giggling like girls after it's done. Seems to have a hardon for inv. joe! and jewbear recently and usually starts off as those guys, then changes them after each round.

You state your self that (regarding their name) "changes them after each round". Why is every one so quick to attribute these actions to 1 of their handles? I've gotten a lot of publicity since these antics started when I am just another victim. I think this is their biggest troll. They get their victims punished for their actions when you all go lynch mob after the wrong people.

• ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah we ran into this same turd on the NTech server. Just took a quick ban and round reset. This thread will end up locked for calling people out on their shit though, shame.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    how long before they realise that commander trolling is nowhere near as bad as aimbot trolling?

commander trolling is pretty hilarious actually.

it's like instead of straight-up mugging someone; they prefer to help them do their grocery shopping, then mow their lawn, then wash their car, then mug them.

learn to troll :P
  • FuhrerDarqueSydeFuhrerDarqueSyde Join Date: 2004-10-04 Member: 32076Members, Constellation
    I try to be active in my server as much as possible, I've already banned the Inv Joe imposter on two separate steam ids and the Mr Fox 1 (assuming that is an imposter as well, either way) on one id.

If I see any more i'll be sure to ban them.
  • TyrsisTyrsis Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8804Members
    jasonmog wrote: »
    Tyrsis wrote: »

You state your self that (regarding their name) "changes them after each round". Why is every one so quick to attribute these actions to 1 of their handles? I've gotten a lot of publicity since these antics started when I am just another victim. I think this is their biggest troll. They get their victims punished for their actions when you all go lynch mob after the wrong people.

The person's steam name is Jason Mog and it's easier to refer to the person by the name rather than their number. I have actual recordings of him and his pals doing it. If it's you or not doesn't matter as long as your steamid doesn't match his, then you're fine.
  • Side1Bu2Rnz9Side1Bu2Rnz9 Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162510Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah I created this thread with no intention of calling anyone out. Just wanted to see if I was alone or not. We're all aware that the trolls are using fake names so for the honest players to get a bad rep isn't what should happen.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I did actually see some trolls on some EU servers.
    was a first
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited April 2013
    Many of these users won't be around long. Thanks to those who messaged me ids and evidence.
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    I've seen other types of trolls as well. Someone was spectator and kept chat-spamming about how bad the commanders were in his opinion, in a very offending way.
    He was actually a good com himself, so maybe he's one of those unfriendly pros we know from NS1 back then. Very annoying people ruining the mood of a whole server. Nobody likes reading offending words line for line in a chat for a whole round while trying to communicate.
  • KopungaKopunga Join Date: 2013-01-10 Member: 178764Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    lamb wrote: »
    Trolling and being new to the game are 2 different things.
    True, but sometimes you can't tell if someone builds like 3 armory and no obs because he is trolling or just because he has absolutely no clue what's going on.

• AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    We need to think up counter troll tactics.
  • JuCCiJuCCi Join Date: 2011-08-08 Member: 114961Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Don't feed the troll. And they will stop.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    No, they won't, because in their mind they're being fucking awesome and everyone is so mad right now.

See this link
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    yes those quaxy hackers on my team 156 server.
    stupid esa
  • MrPinkMrPink Join Date: 2002-05-28 Member: 678Members
    If you beat them to the chair, they have to wait 20-30 minutes. If you don't, they waste 60 seconds of your time while you F4 and restart. It really doesn't bother me much unless the aimbots show up.
  • FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    edited April 2013
    MrPink wrote: »
    If you beat them to the chair, they have to wait 20-30 minutes. If you don't, they waste 60 seconds of your time while you F4 and restart. It really doesn't bother me much unless the aimbots show up.

Unless there's 2 of them and they convince everyone else that "X is bad commander, I just played with them, you should eject them.", or there's 3-4 of them and they eject anyone who isn't them.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    edited April 2013
    haha, was in a game as comm aliens, hopped out to try and defend hive, and I let the team know. when I try to hop back in someone had already hopped in... figured whatever, this game is already pretty lost, see if this guy can turn it around. go and do some skulking, next thing I know I see a random spur around an Rt... and from there I just keep seeing crags surrounded by shells and spurs.... obviously we lose.

next game I go marines and same guy is on my team, hop in chair before him and he spends the next 10minutes trying to hack his way into my chair with an axe. unfortunately I have to hop out to defend again, at which point he hops right in. luckily we eject him before he can do damage, but now I'm more free with the hopping out, because I know he can't chair jack me anymore... which doesn't mean he doesn't try... I think I ended up chair killing him 5-6 times that game, and once in a newly purchased rail gun exo. my first and only exo kill as a marine

eject fast, eject early, and all you have to deal with is being down a player.