Natural Selection 2 April Development

2»

Comments

• CuelCuel Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181295Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    edited April 2013
    Cuel wrote: »
    I hope to see a fix to the crash on loading maps, it seems to be pretty common since the last update
    @Cuel
    Max stated the problem was found. :)

Noice

(that's Australian for nice)

• GreenFlameGreenFlame Join Date: 2011-03-17 Member: 86860Members
    Glad to see you making the game even better, unlike many others, that's something to respect. And special thanks for Russian characters =)
  • ZycaRZycaR Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8263Members
    last used weapon ? transparency? .. not mentioned even for upcoming patch :/
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Transparency has been in since gorgeous??
    There's also ways to bind lastinv, pm me
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    ZycaR wrote: »
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Actually, true transparency still isn't in the game yet, but it is not forgotten about. It is still very high on Max's list, but the recent focus on optimization on the programming side has pushed some tasks like that to the back burner, temporarily. Transparency is not a quick addition to be added, as there are quite a few technical hurdles with it when using the kind of lighting and rendering process that we use, but he should be getting back to it shortly.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    ZycaR wrote: »
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Actually, true transparency still isn't in the game yet, but it is not forgotten about. It is still very high on Max's list, but the recent focus on optimization on the programming side has pushed some tasks like that to the back burner, temporarily. Transparency is not a quick addition to be added, as there are quite a few technical hurdles with it when using the kind of lighting and rendering process that we use, but he should be getting back to it shortly.

Cool. Although the only thing I see it being used on is the alien eggs for the embryo inside but I am sure I am missing other uses.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester

What do you guys refer to when you talk about "true" transparency? One that tints the light according to the color of the surface?
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    edited April 2013
    CrushaK wrote: »

What do you guys refer to when you talk about "true" transparency? One that tints the light according to the color of the surface?

Stuff like this :

NS2_Egg_Sack.jpg

NS2_Drifter_Egg.jpg

NS2_Whip.jpg

Shade_Color_LowRes.jpg

I think initially they wanted a lot of alien structures to have some see through effects like the drifter but they did not have enough time. It would be awesome for atmosphere though.
  • RionRion Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7752Members
    Biodome was one of my favs in classic! Any hope on getting Hera, Eclipse, and Tanith?
  • ExoskelettExoskelett Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175509Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    uff jeah need to add transparency to kill the performance harder than ever. this game still has serious issues like the netcode and in fact i was like "Battlefield 3 needs an Award for the worst netcode seen last 15 years in gaming history" but NS2 has a much "better" netcode as BF3 and should get such award before BF3 does lol

NS2 @ network is really the most annoying thing in here - cause usually in theory a progamer should be able to pick up 4-5 skulks with 1 magazine but the netcode is delayed that much, that people barely manage to pick up 2 with 50 shots.... whatever

UWE should stop wasting time and go for the serious issues first at all and for the moment for EVERY FPS PLAYER that is : Netcode / Performance
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    @Rion It was not your favorite because it didn't exist, the map you're thinking of is called Origin and I have remade it for NS2. Message me if you want to play :D
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Exoskelett wrote: »
    uff jeah need to add transparency to kill the performance harder than ever.

The way it looks, I'd say transparency would be GPU stress related, not CPU, so I doubt it'd be a performance hit.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    @Exoskelett
    netcode is fine. Start aiming, and be damn sure your own network is ok.
    probably reason 1. XD
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    @Exoskelett
    probably reason 1. XD

Do you actually think the netcode is OK?
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Netcode is not perfect but easily manageable. Also, those transparency images look really cool. :)
  • ExoskelettExoskelett Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175509Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited April 2013
    @Exoskelett
    probably reason 1. XD

200-400 MS delay with ping 15-20 is okay for you? lol! in CS:S it has been called something like PEAKING ADVANTAGE - gives you the advantage after peaking a corner of 50-80 MS much less then NS2 but still noticeable.

so you might should play some none delayed shooters and check the netcode of NS2 after before leaving such a comment.

i can just remember old cs times, a ping advantage of 5MS gives you the kill if both (u and ur enemy) fires at same time ;) so dont tell me anything about this.

and i still like to shoot skulks behind the corners even if their model is not visible - powered by NS2 Netcode.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Ive played plenty shooters. I havent experienced any problems with such a high delay in NS2, as you just claimed.
  • intellixintellix Join Date: 2008-03-24 Member: 63950Members
    looks freaking amazing! Can't wait to see something.
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    @admins: so who decided to delete all of my comments?

or was that the answer i asked for from charlie himself?

is that your new way for treating your community now?
    after 300.000+ sold copies of ns2?
  • 2d0x2d0x Join Date: 2013-03-16 Member: 184030Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    derWalter wrote: »
    after 300.000+ sold copies of ns2?
    do you have proof of this numbers? O_O