Cool features/tactics rarely used.

xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
Let's make a list of cool and/or funny things people rarely do in NS2:

- Beacon to unpowered base. You can actually do this if you have obs in nearby powered room.
- Comm self beacon from unpowered base. I.e. you have no IPs at other base and CC in unpowered room is going down, you can drop IP at second base, beacon and exit the very same second it goes off.
- EMP to stop gorge/onos from destroying power node, also draining energy from fade to prevent his escape.
- Dual phase gates. You build one at main base, second at other base/important room, third at main base, fourth at next base/important room. Marines are always one phase away from either location right after spawn, also makes attacking main base PG rather pointless. Bonus: when you are down to one base, marines can blink from on side of the room to another.
- Clogging PGs built right next to wall. Careful not to put clogs too close, or marines will get pushed right through them. Tho they won't be able to use PG again quickly anyway.
- Using ninja MAC to build ninja PG.
- Making clogs hang from the ceiling and attaching hydras to them. First, you can make this in places very unexpacted for hydras. Second, marines shooting hydras will eventually destroy the clog, making hydras fall off attaching themselves somewhere else, making things even more confusing.
- Using skulk hallucinations to distract enemy. At first, enemy will panic and attack each one of them, making it easier for your skulks to attack marines. As soon as they realize what's going on, they will keep ignoring weirdly moving skulks. Trick is to start acting like one of the illusions (only while you are amongst them!).
- Using MACs and Drifter to harass multiple enemy RTs and cause panic. Because distracting enemy players from doing their job is even better than killing them, even though you will never destroy any RT. Easier to do with drifters of course.
- Echoing upgrades.
- Speed cyst through marine territory behind enemy lines, crag right next to last cyst. When chain is destroyed, you will have infestation island there. Get shift and you have forward base right behind their backs (think east wing when marines have terminal and departures, EW almost never visited by marines in such situation, nobody would expect infestation there)

I'm done for the moment.

Comments

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    These are rarely used either because they are 1) useless or 2) have a high opportunity cost.
  • Wyattx3Wyattx3 Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18386Members
    Rarely ever see people using shades to spawn hive hallucinations to fool marines into thinking you've just dropped a hive, but probably for good reason since it almost costs as much as a hive to do that.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    These are rarely used either because they are 1) useless or 2) have a high opportunity cost.

You never know what might come in handy.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I like that backdoor crag idea.
  • ChrisAUSChrisAUS Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172108Members
    edited April 2013

Scrajm armoury drop at 00:37 was probably the most recent awesome move I've seen in a game. Worked out so well considering duplex went 4 skulks Left side. Basically let ARC know on Alien respawn if any skulks were moving through Obs.

I couldn't see on the minimap the exact timing, my internet is too poor! but the Obs drop around 2:40~ in ET based on what ARC saw as a second skulk pack en-route to Ore was just awesome.

EDIT: Could be really wrong, just from spec view it looks like that was the thought behind it. Was awesome.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Very nice list imho.

So wait, lessee... If the map would be Docking, and I would have a marine base with a CC in Cafe, Terminal and Departures... Then Terminal would get rushed, power goes down... So could I then recycle Departures CC and use Departures Obs for beacon and thus beacon to Terminal if the CC was still up? :P
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Very nice list imho.

So wait, lessee... If the map would be Docking, and I would have a marine base with a CC in Cafe, Terminal and Departures... Then Terminal would get rushed, power goes down... So could I then recycle Departures CC and use Departures Obs for beacon and thus beacon to Terminal if the CC was still up? :P

Sounds like a plan!
    Yes, you can do that.
    I'd like to see the eyes of every player on the server after this is executed successfully.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    ChrisAUS wrote: »
    Scrajm armoury drop at 00:37 was probably the most recent awesome move I've seen in a game. Worked out so well considering duplex went 4 skulks Left side. Basically let ARC know on Alien respawn if any skulks were moving through Obs.

I couldn't see on the minimap the exact timing, my internet is too poor! but the Obs drop around 2:40~ in ET based on what ARC saw as a second skulk pack en-route to Ore was just awesome.

EDIT: Could be really wrong, just from spec view it looks like that was the thought behind it. Was awesome.
    That's some really clever usage of structure placement, but it still falls under the 'high opportunity cost' category. Scrajm can get away with that because of Arcs underlying skill.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited April 2013
    Problem with dual phase gates is that if one of your branches goes down you can't recover the same formation. replacing the destroyed phasegate puts it on the end of the chain which will ultimately leave you recycling multiple gates or phasing even slower than with normal placements.

The problem with Echoing upgrades is you are preparing to lose. If you have the res to put a shift down by your upgrades and upgrade it, you should probably be spending it on something else that will prevent you from needing to echo them in the first place.

Beaconing from outside a base is something I don't think I've ever seen someone pull off, but it's pretty easy to do. It's actually a good idea if you have observatories in other places on the map and you can then beacon to any chair, even if the power or obs is down in that room. I don't think many people realize it's possible.

Doing anything with EMP is too much micromanagement for this games interface.

Harrassing RTs with drifters sounds like an amazing idea, I'll have to try that next time I have a chance as Khamm
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    - Using ninja MAC to build ninja PG.

what about using a ninja marine to build a ninja PG? i swear it's one of the best strategies you can do on pub. in addition to mines, it requires a huge group of aliens to just stop 1-2 marines there.
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    Another strat with high opportunity cost (that I'm yet to find a viable use for).

You can get 2 ARCs out onto the field by about 2:30. Although this prevents you from taking any other early upgrades.
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    sotanaht wrote: »
    Beaconing from outside a base is something I don't think I've ever seen someone pull off, but it's pretty easy to do. It's actually a good idea if you have observatories in other places on the map and you can then beacon to any chair, even if the power or obs is down in that room. I don't think many people realize it's possible.

I've had to do this when rushing upgrades and nobody is near base when the other team decides to do a slightly delayed skulk rush. Drop an obs wherever a safe marine with power is and beacon from there when it's built.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited April 2013
    sotanaht wrote: »
    The problem with Echoing upgrades is you are preparing to lose.

Or a trade. Besides many ppl put a shift by a newly dropped hive to max the healspray potential.

Or because the UI is dubious at best.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    I think EMP and rupture may as well be removed from the game. They're both pretty much useless and are never used. They'd need some real attention to make them worthwhile, and I'm generally of the opinion that useless clutter just for the sake of having more stuff in the game is bad.
  • FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    If MACs automatically used EMP when being attacked, it'd be good.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Should just change rupture into "INFECT CYST" 1res ability that would parasite the marine that kills it. (Or 3res with a 'nearby marines' aoe) ... (With melee, would not affect from range.)
  • Super_GorgeSuper_Gorge Join Date: 2013-03-22 Member: 184212Members

EMP is worth doing. It just gets used little because it takes lots of micromanagement. Same thing for enzyme.
    I use Enzyme all the time, and I rarely use EMP.
    That's probably because I rarely build a robo lab, unless the aliens have managed to turtle something.
    ARCs/MACs aren't really required unless your marines cannot take down a hive with JPs/Exos.
  • Super_GorgeSuper_Gorge Join Date: 2013-03-22 Member: 184212Members
    edited April 2013
    I use Enzyme all the time, and I rarely use EMP.
    That's probably because I rarely build a robo lab, unless the aliens have managed to turtle something.
    ARCs/MACs aren't really required unless your marines cannot take down a hive with JPs/Exos.

Most coms don't though. One com I was playing with didn't even know it existed and it wasn't his first rodeo.

• amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    been trying to use rupture as khamm, one of the few things khamms can do actively. enemies tell me it's annoying, so I hope it works out.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited April 2013
    amoral wrote: »
    been trying to use rupture as khamm, one of the few things khamms can do actively. enemies tell me it's annoying, so I hope it works out.

Had someone using that against me in a game a couple hours ago, probably the first time ever. It's mildly disorienting.

Actually it looks a lot like gorge spit, but covers more of the screen and is slightly different looking. I don't really have too much trouble shooting despite it but I know people complain to hell about the spit blind so it's probably a big deal for some noobs.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Hallucinations are great base busters. Couple of real onos and a good number of fake ones just provides that much more cover for the gorges. Thing with Pubs is that it's difficult to get the attack coordinated enough.

Some time I intend to try to get a hallucination Onos out at a ridiculous time (shade first) just to mess with the marines and see what happens.

Bone wall anyone?
    Actually, exploding cysts is a good idea when marine is chopping your RT and lone skulk is coming to save it.

Also, I once went for silence/hallucination first and actually helped gorge with ink and enzyme to defend freshly dropped second hive. He got two marines down. Well, at least he said "Thanks for the ink", that's what made me think it helped.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    I see this more as a "quirky things to try when you are winning really convincingly" list.
    |strofix| wrote: »
    I see this more as a "quirky things to try when you are winning really convincingly" list.

Like "my" hotkeyed shifts with whips and crags echoing into the marine base to kill everything "strategy"?
    edited April 2013

Like "my" hotkeyed shifts with whips and crags echoing into the marine base to kill everything "strategy"?

I remember the first time I echod structures into the marine's base. I felt so smart. Then I tried to do it against a team that wasn't 90% AFK, and realized its not actually viable.
    xen32 wrote: »
    Actually, exploding cysts is a good idea when marine is chopping your RT and lone skulk is coming to save it.

Also, I once went for silence/hallucination first and actually helped gorge with ink and enzyme to defend freshly dropped second hive. He got two marines down. Well, at least he said "Thanks for the ink", that's what made me think it helped.

It only takes a few seconds before the cost of the support exceeds the cost of the lifeform.

edited April 2013

I remember the first time I echod structures into the marine's base. I felt so smart. Then I tried to do it against a team that wasn't 90% AFK, and realized its not actually viable.
    It only works if you do it during a base rush, and you have to have at least 2-3 shifts with Echo.
    Basically:
    It only works if you have 6-7 res towers.
    xen32 wrote: »

It only takes a few seconds before the cost of the support exceeds the cost of the lifeform.

The same could be said about marines and medpacks.
    Marines with LMGs cost 0 res.
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Setting up bombard whips as pre-emtive defense against ARCs & EXOs.
    Mouse wrote: »

That only works if you have 3 Bombard whips for every Exo.
    Mouse wrote: »

That only works if you have 3 Bombard whips for every Exo.

And they never actually deploy the ARCs.