Disallow recycling of IPs

RigRig Join Date: 2006-12-24 Member: 59209Members
I'm sick of commanders losing resign votes and throwing the game by recycling IPs. Some people like to play it out, even if defeat is certain, as evidenced by the fact that this happens in virtually every game I lose as a marine or win as an alien. If you want a new game that badly, leave the server, don't ruin everyone else's fun because you're butthurt.

Alternatively, add a cooldown so recycle can't be spammed, just used to recover resources from an accidental build or a couple high-value structures in a lost base. Or just remove recycling from the game entirely, aliens don't have it, marines don't really need it for balance.

Comments

• KopungaKopunga Join Date: 2013-01-10 Member: 178764Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I hope this issue will dissolve over time. We just have to make the concede function more popular and more widely known. I've met so many players that were unaware of this option.
    Maybe aswell removing the timelimit on conceding would help. I've experienced some games myself, where defeat was certain after a few minutes in the game and all i could do was waiting to be able to concede (on alien). But i guess that would open a whole new opportunity for trolls and griefers.

But recycling itself is usefull and sometimes necessary in order to save the res and/or get rid of obsolete builings. In particular phasegates, of which you can indeed have to many. Not even taking the limit in consideration. And a cooldown on recycle would just make salvaging lost or obsolete bases a pain in the a** for the commander. So that's not an option.

And as a team, you still have the option to eject the commander if he or she is acting against your will....
  • RigRig Join Date: 2006-12-24 Member: 59209Members
    Sorry, just went poking around for more info on the specific mechanics of recycling to try and make a better point, and it looks like there's already a thread on this. I'll head over there: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/127576/marine-base-recycling
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    Concede only really allowed aliens to do what marines have always been able to do via recycling.

I completely agree that now we have concede that recycling needs to be limited.

I would suggest that IP's (and other structures) cant be recycled once built if they are in the same room as the marine comm (ie marine spawn is Cafeteria on docking so unless the comm relocates himself he cant recycle in that room).

This would allow relocation's to still possible but you cant recycle your old base until you reach your new comm chair.

This would also solve the issue of troll comms recycling a base...and make their impact more limited.
  • randomroperandomrope Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 180026Members
    edited March 2013
    hakenspit wrote: »
    I would suggest that IP's (and other structures) cant be recycled once built if they are in the same room as the marine comm (ie marine spawn is Cafeteria on docking so unless the comm relocates himself he cant recycle in that room).

This would allow relocation's to still possible but you cant recycle your old base until you reach your new comm chair.

This would also solve the issue of troll comms recycling a base...and make their impact more limited.

The only problem that could come up is the comm could just spam IPs that can never be recycled, wasting tons of res. (Not that it couldnt happen now). Perhaps if the starting IP was not recyclable that would make sense. Then at least you have 1 IP that can't get recycled.
  • MaLuSMaLuS Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182769Members
    Savant i totally agree with that, there should always be at minimum 1 active IP and that last IP should not be possible to recycle it. Too many games i have seen someone jump in the com chair and recycle the IPs to force a loss when it is in their opinion not worth playing anymore and personally i would ban any person that does this after being told on my server as there is a concede option if the team wishes to give up.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Savant wrote: »
    This is really simple...

So long as there is ONE ACTIVE IP built somewhere on the map, then any other IP can be recycled at whim.

The last IP (regardless of location) is not recyclable. This prevents abuse since extra IPs can be recycled, and it allows relocation since once a new IP is built the old one can be recycled. No commander should ever need to recycle the last active IP - not when we have concede votes.
    With concede in the game, I think this can work. However, I'd prefer the option to disable this (i.e. allow recycling of all IPs) for comp matches. Relocate strats usually involve recycling the main IP before dropping the relocated ones.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    How about, disallow recycling of powered structures?
    So if you lose power in a room, you can recycle all buildings in that room.
    Thoughts?
  • BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    Some people are noobs and do not concede (even on non-rookie servers). I say go with Savant's idea.

Doesn't stop me from recycling the armory and arms lab, though. :p
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    I am afraid that no mechanism can do anything against a comm that has a bad attitude or a troll.

He will recycle everything but the last IP and the result is pretty much the same.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    The commander has the right to end the marine game whenever he wishes. In my experience, recycling the IPs is a much more preferable solution compared to simply getting out of the chair and refusing to command any further.
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Sorry I have to disagree with you strofix. This is a TEAM game. It's why they have a concede vote to let the TEAM decide whether to end the game. If a commander wants to quit, the disconnect button is only a couple clicks away.
  • pearlykpearlyk Join Date: 2013-01-19 Member: 180732Members
    Sorry I have to disagree with you strofix. This is a TEAM game. It's why they have a concede vote to let the TEAM decide whether to end the game. If a commander wants to quit, the disconnect button is only a couple clicks away.

even though I obviously don't speak for everyone, I doubt many people find fun playing a hopeless turtle against a team that only wants to farm kills instead of rushing the objective.

Surprisingly enough, there are a lot of people who don't know how to concede.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    The only acceptable reason for recycling a powered IP is when its placed in such a way that the marines who spawn in get stuck. Which is more a map problem than anything, but since we can't expect the maps to ever be perfect, keep the recycling band-aid.

I do like Savant's solution though.
  • nsguynsguy Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69869Members
    What Strofix said.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    This is really simple...

So long as there is ONE ACTIVE IP built somewhere on the map, then any other IP can be recycled at whim.

The last IP (regardless of location) is not recyclable. This prevents abuse since extra IPs can be recycled, and it allows relocation since once a new IP is built the old one can be recycled. No commander should ever need to recycle the last active IP - not when we have concede votes.

Situation: you main base is devastated, you got another one but with no IPs built. All you have is one IP at first base, CC and extractor at second base. You can recycle that IP and build new one, because waiting for res is suicidal and if you recycle extractor you won't be able to get new one.
    One might argue that in this situation is 100% defeat anyway, but there is an exo train approaching last hive and you want your marines to respawn and defend last CC while exos are taking down the hive. There is still a chance to win and you don't want to waste it because of enforced restrictions.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    xen32 wrote: »
    This is really simple...

Situation: you main base is devastated, you got another one but with no IPs built. All you have is one IP at first base, CC and extractor at second base. You can recycle that IP and build new one, because waiting for res is suicidal and if you recycle extractor you won't be able to get new one.
    One might argue that in this situation is 100% defeat anyway, but there is an exo train approaching last hive and you want your marines to respawn and defend last CC while exos are taking down the hive. There is still a chance to win and you don't want to waste it because of enforced restrictions.
    So long as the stipulation is put in that a powered down IP doesn't count and can be recycled, this should be alright.
  • WillzZzWillzZz Join Date: 2013-01-31 Member: 182667Members
    Err relocation means you have to recycle IPs. Knee jerk reaction to troll comms is not the preferred method of game design :P
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    WillzZz wrote: »
    Err relocation means you have to recycle IPs. Knee jerk reaction to troll comms is not the preferred method of game design :P

But what is stopping you building that IP at the new base before you recycle your existing one?

Xen32...if the marines have mismanaged their resources this baadly how is it any different to getting res locked?
    How about an extractor, arms lab, armoury, proto etc to get enough res to afford a new IP?
    If you dont have those to sell then getting back a fraction of the cost of a damaged IP is not going to offer you much res.
  • SherlockSherlock Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168595Members
    This is really simple...

This would be your best option.

Disallowing of IP/base recycling would put a halt to those epic complete relocate tactics I've seen (of which I've fallen foul to many a time!).
  • eliotmateliotmat Join Date: 2002-12-01 Member: 10350Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    What is the disagree record for a post on these forums? hehe.

OP might set a new one!
  • VayVay Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183959Members
    Recycle is all or nothing with griefing. Leaving one IP wont change the fact you just lost 20% of your res, all your nodes, and cant tech anything till your team builds again. That's game ending in itself unless the teams were unbalanced.
  • Flash8798Flash8798 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182814Members
    edited April 2013
    Recycling should have limits regardless, and powered down areas should remove the ability to recycle since essentially that area's connection to the main comm chair has been cut off. Therefore it would create a situation where protecting a power node is a viable strategy to prevent losing a lot of Res. It's much the same way an Alien Forward Crag/Shift/Shade base is when cut off with a cyst chain, you can't recycle at all as aliens, only hope that your commander has a Shift that can Echo away one or two structures and potentially save them from being destroyed, but by no means ever regain the resources placed into making those structures, and if using the Echo example, actually COSTS resources to move those structures away, rather than gaining anything back.

Losing a forward base is much more a punishing aspect to Aliens than it is for Marines, as of the current Build (245), all marines have to do is have a commander that recycles everything all at once, get a MASSIVE Res Dump, and drop his team three or four exo suits at base before the Comm Chair goes down, or dump it into research. This is unheard of in Alien play, as is the concept of regaining resources at all. This may be a concept function, but it's also a horrid balance issue that at the very least needs to be addressed.

While I agree that recycling should not be removed completely, it should be nerfed in order to create a more fair experience for the Aliens to be able to deliver as much a crippling blow as the Marines give already from a successful kill on a Hive, rather than a successful hit on a base only resulting in another Hive Location, rather than a devastating blow in taking out a built up Marine stronghold without the possibility of recouping most of those structures. Much in the same way a Marine Beacon stops if an Observatory is destroyed or powered down, Recycling structures should stop or at least have the time to recycle them be increased by a large percentage so that Aliens who have successfully taken down that base get to revel in their victory through actually removing resources from Marine Play, instead of a massive rush to attempt to take at least ONE structure before the Commander successfully trolls the victory from all the structures disappearing, and all those Nanobots take the form of a massive, disembodied hand flipping the bird before fading away.

I'd recommend a cool down be added to recycling, a limit to recycling final/essential structures such as IPs or the last Adv. Armory, and removing the option of recycling powered down structures so that Aliens have a much more fulfilling experience in destroying a Marine Stronghold, or at the very least increase the time it takes for those powered down structures to be recycled so that if the Aliens aren't taking advantage of that extra time, the Marines still have the ability to gain from the Aliens' lack of seizing the opportunity.

TL;DR:
    Nerf Recycling by:
    -Create overall cooldown.
    -Remove RCing essential IPs/Armories based on Team Size. (ie. +8 players = Can't remove 2nd to last IP, etc.)
    -Increase time it takes for powered down structures to recycle by a large margin to allow Aliens a more satisfying and deeply felt blow on Marines as much as a lost Hive is currently to Aliens, or remove recycling of powered down structures entirely.

-Slightly justified because Aliens have no equal ability to recycling that allows the recouping of resources like Marines do, thus a slight balance issue.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Got base rushed the other day, had to sell everything immediately, drop it at another tech point, I kind of liked the 15 res I got back from the IP that could go towards the new base. I actually needed the res from the recycled IP to build the new one, and even if I had it, would have been nice to have the res instead of losing it when the comm chair went down and they killed the IP before the new comm could sell it.

tldr; You can't disable features like this without hurting legit tactics, planning around trolls is dumb and all options need to be available.