Babblers usefulness

KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
The update has been out for some time now, we have moved beyond toying with the new features, and I have yet to see babblers used in any way that would create a tangible impact on the game. Mostly, gorges produce them when bored defending some room, and it seldom serves as more than a distraction.

So please tell me, what is your opinion on babblers?

Extremely useful
Very useful
Somewhat useful
Marginally useful
Useless
Utterly useless

If you use them, can you elaborate on how/when?

Would make a poll, but I don't see a way to do it.

Comments

• Madd0gMadd0g Join Date: 2012-12-24 Member: 176116Members
    edited April 2013
    I am hesitating between useless and utterly useless.
    My expirience with babalers so far:
    I waste time and energy spawning them,which i could of used to keep moving with my team's skulks and healing them in battle,or clogging up an entrance.
    I waste resourses that i could of used to get more hydras out(or use to respawn as gorge again).
    90% of the time you cant stick them on a friendly(because nobody would stay still for 1 second and even if they do bablers still get stuck somehow).
    In those rare 10% in which i do actually stick them onto somebody it hardly makes ANY difference what so ever(so i wasted 3 res,several secs and energy,just to absorb 2-3 shots i could of healed in one spit.What's the hole point of that seriosly).
  • Rellik_ptRellik_pt Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181205Members
    Useless so far for me
  • 2d0x2d0x Join Date: 2013-03-16 Member: 184030Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited April 2013
    Almost useless. Because they are insanely stupid.
    Only 2 ways to use them more or less effectively, because in this cases you don't need babblers ai.
    1. Throw the bait into the air so that it fell right into you (or you can throw the bait to the wall - it will bounced right at you), after these actions bubblers jump on you. You can put up to 6 babblers at once, far as I know 1 babbler will protect you from 1 bullet. This can help you out. Or you can put them on another alien player to protect him.
    2. In some cases they can be used to break down power nod a little faster, but this is only for fun.
    I always use the first option when I play as gorge
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    Pointless waste of dev time, as of now they do nothing. Even the armour ability I rarely see used.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited April 2013
    Neoken wrote: »
    What kind of tangible impact should a 3 res investment have on a game?

Medpacks cost 1 res and have huge impact on the game, IMO. Cost per unit is not the only factor - what you get for what you pay is more important. In case of medpack, you get hell of a lot for just 1 res. My question was - how much do you get for your 3 res in case of babblers?

• NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    You get about as much for it as you get from one hydra imo. They're just much more situational. Use them whenever you're making a big push. Either throw them in the mix to distract and do tiny bits of damage to marines. Or use them as a one time body armor on yourself or a teammate. They can make a difference, a very small difference, but no less a difference one hydra would make.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Helps in suicide rushes. Those few extra shots you can take can really make the difference between WIN and FAIL.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    My opinion is that they should either cost 1 res as they are, or they should be buffed up to be worth 3 res (more damage absorption, stronger attack, and/or "latch onto enemy marines" as proposed before).
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    Reducing the time it takes for their eggs to hatch on their own would already add a nice buff to them since you could put them out as mid-combat distraction then (still a pres investment).
    Adjusting the AI to be more efficient after throwing the Bait Ball would help as well. Often Babblers just jump onto the ball, regarding marines right next to it and then walk back to you if they haven't been killed in a bullet hail before.
    Adding more air control to the Babbler itself so it can adjust it's course towards a target during a jump a bit would also make them more of something you have to deal with. Currently I can basically walk half a minute around in a bunch of Babblers and have them miss me just due to that walking movement.

Another suggestion I had was to give the Gorge some telepathic control over the Bait Ball, similar to how you command your minions in games like Pikmin and Overlord. I linked to that thread in my sig.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    they're not literally useless...

imo the problem is that they're too much of a fiddle. the res cost isn't even a problem, it's the fact that it takes so much time to switch to babbler egg, throw babbler egg(s) then grow babbler egg(s) to hatch them in their entirely useless form. then you have a limited time to efficiently find an enemy or ally on which to actually get any use out of the babblers before they get stuck or expire.

- fix the pathing, so they don't get stuck on high/low ground or inside vents

- consider putting 6 babblers into a single egg (1 pres cost). this would hopefully make them more expendable and easier to deploy/replace under pressure. generally you want all of your babblers together; 3 babblers per egg is an arbitrary inconvenience for the gorge player.

constantly doing a babbler head-count is not fun. just put the 'optimal' 6 babblers into a single egg and be done with it.
  • Samus1111111Samus1111111 Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154930Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    TBH, as long as they keep their hidden timer, I won't use them. It goes against what UWE has said they want in their game to have a hidden timer.

Plus, I paid pres for them, why should they die (barring being killed or me being killed) just due to a time-out mechanic??
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    They need some improvements still:

1) Aliens that receive the armor bonus should have a numerical value attached to it. Currently it shows they're attached onto you, but you really don't get a sense that they're doing anything. Maybe when they're attached that alien gets 10% more armor, or slowly heal the attached alien. They're a variety of ways they can be made more useful.

2) Agreed on the timer, would like to know how much time they have left before they die. A small hud indicator that shows how many babblers\hydras\clogs you have active would also be useful.

They are useful for the solo gorge though as if gives the marine more things to manage than he would otherwise, which can get him to slip enough for the skulk to get a kill.
  • ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    They're okay minesweepers...
  • OhnojojoOhnojojo Join Date: 2011-08-01 Member: 113400Members
    Kamamura wrote: »
    The update has been out for some time now, we have moved beyond toying with the new features, and I have yet to see babblers used in any way that would create a tangible impact on the game. Mostly, gorges produce them when bored defending some room, and it seldom serves as more than a distraction.

So please tell me, what is your opinion on babblers?

Extremely useful
    Very useful
    Somewhat useful
    Marginally useful
    Useless
    Utterly useless

If you use them, can you elaborate on how/when?

Would make a poll, but I don't see a way to do it.

I would say that they're actually pretty useful if used well.
    3 PRes for a babbler shield that gives 20 hp per babbler?
    I think that's useful. Also, gorge's attacks seem to be about stacking bile bomb and stacking babblers. its good for structures as like a little bonus damage.
    And they can block line of sight so they can cover skulks, if skulks hang around babblers.

• KhazeKhaze Join Date: 2006-12-12 Member: 59031Members
    I know I've died atleast once because an alien was babbler-shielded and I couldn't get him in time due to it.

That said, they don't really have any actual use. Sometimes people use them to kill unattended marine structures while the Gorge is off doing something else, but even then I think they're a waste of time and resources.

Turn them in to tiny suicide bombs so marines would definitely want to kill the babblerswarm before going for the Gorge, or just up their damage and speed. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever even been hit by a babbler as a marine. I just dance around them while wiping out the Gorge.
  • Angelo85Angelo85 Join Date: 2012-08-03 Member: 154662Members
    My verdict after toying around with them for only a bit: 2/6 (or as the OP put it, useless).

I like the idea of Babblers latching onto Marines with the bait though. Perhaps even the need of help from a fellow marine to shoot/melee them off or slowly loose HP. Promotes teamwork on the rine side and gives the Babblers another useful utility to bump them immediatly from 2/6 to 5/6.
    edited April 2013
    OutlawDr wrote: »
    Link the attack command to spit. Something gets hit by spit, babblers attack it. Simple, easy to use and understand, and relies on player skill.

Awesome idea! I find the glowing "control ball" clumsy and awkward tool, hitting enemy with it is nigh impossible.

edited April 2013
    OutlawDr wrote: »
    Next link babblers attach ability to healspray. Heal teammates and babblers attach to them. If you healspray at the babblers directly, they attach to you. Makes it a hell of a lot easier to armor up allies and to corral them.

What if I want to keep my Babblers for attacking? Never healspray anyone during combat? My team will love it…
    Why not make it so that spitting on a friendly alien will make them latch onto it instead? Spitting on the ground below you will make them latch onto you.

I like the idea of Babbler-mines, though:
    -Babbler eggs don't hatch on their own after growing. They need to be used by the Gorge with the E key to hatch from the egg. (Alternatively, make spitting at the egg cause Babblers to hatch.)
    -If a marine walks past a grown egg, Babblers will hatch and attack the marine, similar to a mine.
    -Marines can shoot the egg to make it explode. If he's too close, he will get hit by the explosion which would work like a Bile Bomb hit.
    -Eggs that are not fully grown won't cause an explosion upon being shot.

As for the Bait Ball: maybe it could be changed so that the ball itself will create the Babbler egg at the first contact with world geometry. Each shot would cost 1 pres. That way you can shoot it somewhat over obstacles to create Egg Mines there or put them on surfaces that might be too high for you to reach.
  • Arkahm719Arkahm719 Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151988Members
    Thats a good idea crushak about the bait ball making the egg spawn, atleast thats what i got from what you said, I personally think the babblers fill a very specific role and that is protection of a gorge. I was in hyrdo analysis and i was building hydras before cysts got there and i had made my babblers and me and them killed a marine attacking me, Im very bad with gorge spit so i only managed to hit him like once but the babblers did the rest. that was when babblers first were put it when they were really bad
  • GadxGadx Join Date: 2003-03-22 Member: 14788Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    They hard counter flamethrowers (lol).
  • FarknutFarknut Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184065Members
    edited April 2013
    Most useless feature ever put into a game. Below utterly useless, and I challenge anyone to find anything worse.
  • PaLaGiPaLaGi Join Date: 2008-01-03 Member: 63331Members, Constellation
    I accidentally throw out that ball thing sometimes when I'm cycling between useful things like spit, bile bomb and dropping clogs/hydras.
    Farknut wrote: »
    Most useless feature ever put into a game. Below utterly useless, and I challenge anyone to find anything worse.

MAC EMP
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    CrushaK wrote: »
    Farknut wrote: »

MAC EMP

Hallucinations

• DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    They are just a little clunky to use. For example when you have them attached and you throw the bait ball forward, they pop off you then scuttle around for a couple of seconds before moving to the target. It would be nicer to have them launch instantly.

The enforced delay between building actions also makes it very tedious to spawn them. I believe this was added in a recent patch to stop insta clogwall towers.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited April 2013
    Babblers are useful :(
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    rantology wrote: »
    Babblers are useful :(

Lol, useful as a distraction/armor boost - that's about it.
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    Neoken wrote: »
    What kind of tangible impact should a 3 res investment have on a game? You could argue one hydra is utterly useless as well. In the grand scheme of things though, hydras can be useful, as can babblers. I just wished more gorges would use them to get some body armor on their teammates.

I would expect it to be about 1/3rd as powerful as a jetpack and three times more useful than a medpack.

The Gorge reliance on pres is why all of his stuff is garbage.